Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank You REMF and all its supporters

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
I know there is a REMF message board, but I wanted to make sure I reached you all to say a heart-felt thank you, to every supporter of the REMF, the people who give so much effort to maintaining the fund, and to Robert's parents for allowing the memory of their son to become a physical boon for so many kids locally, and worldwide.

I've heard stories of other teams struggling to find sponsors in todays economic climate, and I dreaded having to find someone to fund our players new kit if the REMF were unable to help us.
I was so delighted when Gareth said they would sponsor the DaSH new kit - many of our children's shorts are now tighter than Linford Christie's! - and to those of you with children who play against DaSH at the various age groups, I'm sure you've enjoyed the new facilities at The Hollow, with its marvellous tea kitchen and changing rooms, again the REMF stepped in to fund the remainer of the hut shortfall.
No longer are we attacked by the mould monster in the damp broken toilets! We now have facilities to match the enthusiasm of the club and everyone at Denton and South Heighton Junior Football Club thanks you.

We were delighted when the REMF won the Argus Charity of the Year, and I hope you all keep your fingers crossed for my husband Laurence - Manager of the REMF sponsored DaSH Under 11's - when he attends the Coach of the Year award next week, for which he's been shortlisted.
The team are currently top of their first year 11 a side league table and still take part in community and charity initiatives.

So thank you again REMF and all its supporters. You DO make a difference and I hope our team continues to represent you in a winning way, both on the pitch and in the community.

Mrs Coach.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Wickerd! Glad to hear it's all going so well.

Reminds me I must bounce my sponsorship thread for Sunday....

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That was a very serious and spiteful accusation from Brovian. REMF are very careful to use all the money raised appropriately. Although the comments have been removed they have been read. I have asked Paula to educate Brovian on her clubs daily struggle. Every request for funding has to have a 12 page application form completed with comprehensive details about the club and its finances and where our money will be used. It then has to be approved by 14 members of the board and Eaton family.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
I dont know what Brovion wrote, but US is right, DaSH Football Club is the only junior football club based in Newhaven, Denton and South Heighton and we receive NO funding other than what we are able to raise ourselves. We rent the one home pitch available to us, and pay (sometimes extortionate) amounts of money to hire council or school owned pitches, which are few and far between, as our home pitch floods once the rainy season hits. We are still in the process of trying to raise tens of thousands of pounds for 'drainage in the lower fields' to keep our home pitch playable for the whole season. All our kits have to be sponsored as we keep our training and match fees as low as possible, I believe we are one of, if not the lowest registration and fee charging clubs in Sussex to ensure that ALL local children can play football, not just those who can afford it, and for those who really cannot afford basic registration fees, we ensure they do not go without.
We do not have facilities to hold an annual summer tournament, as most clubs do, which raises their funds for the following season - meaning we have to try ten times harder to fundraise and ensure every penny is accounted for and sensibly spent.
If Brovion thinks we have hidden money - he is welcome to come to our AGM and see the struggles we make to survive season on season since the 1970's. We are extremely grateful for the input of the REMF and our other sponsors, as we do NOT have funds other than what we raise to run the club to pay for all the equipment, facilities and kit needed to provide for our local children and we strive to not just survive, but provide the best environment for our kids. Our volunteers give their time, money, blood, sweat and tears for the club - and it's all for the kids.
Thank you again REMF for what you do for us, and everyone else.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ok, in the light of the Spielberg and Mrs Coach's comments I'll re-state what I said earlier as I wasn't quick enough in removing it and I'm now coming over as some sort of heartless monster.

In my opinion the REMF should not be giving to clubs such as DaSH. Having been involved in it myself I fully understand and appreciate that running a boys' football team involves blood sweat and tears and money is ALWAYS tight. We were forever grateful to the parents who donated money for kit etc. DaSH are better off than a lot of clubs as they have their own ground (and their own snack bar), we were always envious of them as we trudged from council pitch to council pitch, invariably playing second-fiddle to mens' teams.

So I accept DaSH do a 'good job', I accept they are are strapped for cash - but this is SUSSEX for crying out loud. It is NOT the Third World and it is not New York City; it's not even an impoverished part of Britain such as an inner-city estate. Hence my other complaint that when I first 'signed up' for REMF (proud participant in the first REMF match) we were originally rasing funds to help football teams in New York. That to me is what REMF should be doing, funding teams in REALLY poor areas or contributing to 'Coaching for Hope' not helping teams in slightly hard-up areas of Sussex.

To be slightly more controversial - I don't even think DaSH are the most deserving case in Sussex. If the REMF wanted to donate to a local side the best case would be Falmer Falcons. This was a club set up to take the boys who invariably get pushed out of the other local teams when the managers get Alex Ferguson syndrome and start signing boys because of their football ability; the Falcons philosophy is to give everyone a game regardless of ability. They too are 'homeless' and in addition to the perpetual problem that that brings (where to hold training for a start) they get a lot of kids from broken homes whose parents can't pay the subs or buy them boots. In these cases the Falcons get people or organisations to discreetly sponsor the kids so that they don't miss out.

This is obviously all JUST MY OPINION. However if anyone from the Falcons posts on NSC perhaps they'd like to contact Gareth (Uncle Spielberg?)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We would be happy to consider funding for any club that applies to us. They will be assessed like everyone else is. At the end of the day The Eatons make the final decisions but not without input and recommendations. It was decided 3 years to concentrate efforts to the UK and Sussex/Croydon in particular.

We have however given £ 3000 to coaching for hope over the last 3 years and paid for a set of kit for a club in South Africa when the original kit was lost at sea sponsored by Peacehaven Meridean. We have also give £ 7000 to the Seagulls-Specials in the last 2 years to assist their work for handicapped and disadvantaged people in the local community.

The fund will consider any worthy club anywhere in the World.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I think the REMF team do a bloody marvellous job.

If they receive a request for a 'deserving' donation. What should they do turn it so that they advance funds to perceived more deserving causes?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I know how hard Paula and the club work to help the kids play football and get them off the streets of Newhaven and into something worthwhile. I also know Paula and Dash for the last 3 years have supported wholeheartedly the REMF and make the effort every year to spend the evening helping the annual REMF matches and provide the Ball Boys. Other clubs we have supported in the past have done nothing like this. The REMF like to be supported in return by clubs we have supported although of course it is voluntary and I can say Dash have done this more than any club REMF had supported.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We would be happy to consider funding for any club that applies to us. They will be assessed like everyone else is. At the end of the day The Eatons make the final decisions but not without input and recommendations. It was decided 3 years to concentrate efforts to the UK and Sussex/Croydon in particular.

We have however given £ 3000 to coaching for hope over the last 3 years and paid for a set of kit for a club in South Africa when the original kit was lost at sea sponsored by Peacehaven Meridean. We have also give £ 7000 to the Seagulls-Specials in the last 2 years to assist their work for handicapped and disadvantaged people in the local community.

The fund will consider any worthy club anywhere in the World.
I am disappointed to learn that the Fund is going to concentrate on Sussex and Croydon, however I think it's brilliant that you're supporting the Seagull Specials - a truly deserving cause. I DO wish you all the best and I know how much work you have personally have put in over the years.

I think the REMF team do a bloody marvellous job.

If they receive a request for a 'deserving' donation. What should they do turn it so that they advance funds to perceived more deserving causes?
No reason at all, it's completely down to the trustees. Likewise people have reasons for donating to specific charities;, some won't give money to people like Oxfam as they don't see why we should help Africans when there are poor people in Britain. Others are the opposite and won't give to charities that work mainly in Britain as they think this country is rich enough to solve it's own problems and we should send the money where it can do the most use.

I know how hard Paula and the club work to help the kids play football and get them off the streets of Newhaven and into something worthwhile. I also know Paula and Dash for the last 3 years have supported wholeheartedly the REMF and make the effort every year to spend the evening helping the annual REMF matches and provide the Ball Boys. Other clubs we have supported in the past have done nothing like this. The REMF like to be supported in return by clubs we have supported although of course it is voluntary and I can say Dash have done this more than any club REMF had supported.
I accept they work hard, and I know the Falcons work hard to keep the kids of the steeets of Coldean - but almost everybody involved in Sussex youth football works hard. That, IMO, shouldn't be a criteria.

...and to be fair it would be a bit much to expect Los Pedilitos (or whoever it was we originally sponsored in New York) to turn up and act as ball boys.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As I said the fund has for the last 3 years donated to Aids orphan's in Mali and a team in South Africa. Also clubs need to be proactive. They need to apply to us. If this team knows of our existance why have they not contacted us to apply ?.

Los Peladtos got $ 26 000 of kit and equipment over 3 years.

The USA is an even richer country than the UK ( or was ). During the years after 9/11 it was getting increasingly difficult to raise funds for the express use in the USA espeically when the USA became increasingly unpopular with the War in Iraq. These things affect the way people think and donate and many comments were made to concentrate funds in the UK. If you have tried to raise funds for charity you will know how hard it is let alone for a country outside the UK regardless of the merits.

We are glad and happy we supported Los Peladitos and no one regrets that but this gives an insight into the rationale.

Anyway REMF is not a monopoly so if people have suggestions or ideas speak out.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As I said the fund has for the last 3 years donated to Aids orphan's in Mali and a team in South Africa. Also clubs need to be proactive. They need to apply to us. If this team knows of our existance why have they not contacted us to apply ?.

Los Peladtos got $ 26 000 of kit and equipment over 3 years.

The USA is an even richer country than the UK ( or was ). During the years after 9/11 it was getting increasingly difficult to raise funds for the express use in the USA espeically when the USA became increasingly unpopular with the War in Iraq. These things affect the way people think and donate and many comments were made to concentrate funds in the UK. If you have tried to raise funds for charity you will know how hard it is let alone for a country outside the UK regardless of the merits.

We are glad and happy we supported Los Peladitos and no one regrets that but this gives an insight into the rationale.

Anyway REMF is not a monopoly so if people have suggestions or ideas speak out.
America might be a richer country but I would argue it's more important to get the kids of the streets of New York ghettoes than it is off the streets of Denton - or even Coldean, but again that's just my view.

It's disappointing but perhaps understandable that some people don't want to donate to a charity that is going to spend their money on a load of American kids. (See my earlier comment about people's charity donation reasons) I don't share that view as I always saw it as 'missionary' work and also because Robert was based in New York. Also, leaving aside the fact it's punishing the children for the 'sins of the fathers', the money wasn't exactly going to a load of white soccer moms in California.

I accept that Sussex teams should 'be proactive' when searching for funds and I'm not sure if Falmer Falcons know about REMF. I'm not in contact with the founder any more but I'll make enquiries. However I'm not sure how a dirt-poor village in Africa can be expected to find out about the fund, I guess they need their champions too to stop you from wasting the money in the UK!:)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am afraid it is unrealistic to expect people working for REMF of their own free time to research every youth football club in Brighton let alone different continents. There has to be proaction and if anyone feels they would like to put forward a club for considering they are perfectly free to do that at anytime.

REMF have supported around 10 clubs in the Brighton area, a club in Croydon, Los Peladitos in New York, A team in South Africa, Coaching for Hope in Mail, The Seagulls-Specials in Sussex so I would it is widespread and far reaching and had achieved a lot in 8 years due to EVERYONE's commitment. Also bear in mind we are not Rothschild's and have limited resources.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I am afraid it is unrealistic to expect people working for REMF of their own free time to research every youth football club in Brighton let alone different continents. There has to be proaction and if anyone feels they would like to put forward a club for considering they are perfectly free to do that at anytime.

REMF have supported around 10 clubs in the Brighton area, a club in Croydon, Los Peladitos in New York, A team in South Africa, Coaching for Hope in Mail, The Seagulls-Specials in Sussex so I would it is widespread and far reaching and had achieved a lot in 8 years due to EVERYONE's commitment. Also bear in mind we are not Rothschild's and have limited resources.
Yes, your first paragraph repeats exactly what I said, it IS unrealistic to expect the REMF people to look for clubs/causes and therefore deserving cases, especially outside the UK, DO need people to recommend them.

Your second paragraph - the fund's helped 10 clubs in the Brighton area! All I'll say is I've been a bit out of touch on how the money's been spent ...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What exactly are your criticisms about the way REMF is run as I am getting confused. Do you not like the fact we have supported 10 local clubs ?.

Having visited both Los Peladitos and DaSH, I would say that both teams are thoroughly deserving of the support that REMF has given them.

It's impossible to run a fund like REMF on the basis of some sort of "competition" between youth football teams to demonstrate greater "need" than anyone else. Each request or nomination for funding is dealt with on its merits and money is given only when the charity's trustees (including the Eaton family) are satisfied that the spending is in tune with the objectives of the fund.

Over the years, there have been a number of suggestions for spending that haven't got past the scrutiny of the trustees. REMF deserves recognition as "Charity of the Year" not just because it supports deserving causes, and not just because it is brilliant at fundraising, but also because it's a very well run charity that takes its responsibilities seriously.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Having visited both Los Peladitos and DaSH, I would say that both teams are thoroughly deserving of the support that REMF has given them.

Of course they are. In an ideal world the fund would be able to help everybody who applies - and not every deserving cause does.

It's so difficult to express a opinion without sounding churlish or as if you're undermining the hours and hours of incredible enthusiasm and hard work that the parents of these lads put in. Everyone will also have a different view as to whether "new kits" and "marvellous tea kitchens" are what the REMF should be paying for. The trustees do have to make the ultimate decisions, but I think it's brave of Brovian to express his point of view.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What exactly are your criticisms about the way REMF is run as I am getting confused. Do you not like the fact we have supported 10 local clubs ?.
Blimey, I've said it enough times. When we first all got together in the wake of 9/11 we wanted to 'do something' and the idea came up to raise funds to help poor kids in New York play football. We all thought that was a good idea as Robert was a football fan and he was based in New York. If someone had said then that the fund would ultimately be used 'just' to ease the fund-raising efforts of local Sussex clubs in relatively well-off areas I might not have been so keen to contribute.

I must stress again it's just my personal view, other 'originals' may feel differently.

EDIT: Thank you Lush, I appreciate I might be sounding a bit churlish, but I can accept that as originally I was accused of making a 'serious and spiteful' allegation as if I'd suggested the money had been embezzled or something.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
In the last year and a half we have given out around £ 10000.

£ 7000 Seagulls-Specials - Disadvantaged and handicapped people - 70%
£ 2000 coaching for hope - Aids orphans in Africa - 20%
£ 1000 kit to local clubs - 10%

The money for Dash is going to a much needed set of kit for the kids.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Although Robert worked in New York and lived there he was born in Brighton and supported BHAFC all his life and all his family live here so I would like to think he would have supported the help we have given to New York and to the Sussex area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here