Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good luck to the REMF on Thursday

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Brighton Achiever awards this Thursday.

REMF shortlisted again.

Fingers crossed and perhaps a timely reminder to everyone on here that there are MORE important things than beating Stockport...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The REMF is shortlisted for Sussex Charity of the Year for the 3rd year running and 4th time in 8 years.

We are hopeful not but taking anything for granted.

We may all post a lot of crap and here with me being as guilty as anyone but this charity which was borne from NSC in 2001 has been imo NSC's defining and finest moment and unites the forum.

Thanks to the work, time, effort and money from hundreds of people the fund has raised nearly £ 70000 since 2001. This year alone we have raised around £ 10000 making it the most successful year since 2001.

Hundreds of kids in Sussex, Croydon, African, South Africa and America are playing with kit and equipment donated by the REMF.

All BHAFC and CPFC supporters can be very proud of what they have helped to achieve.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Excellent news, and congrats and good luck to all those who are involved with running this great charity.

Any chance of getting something going with the REMF website, with links to the Just Giving page, reckon you'll pick up some more donations, especially with the nominations for the award on the radio and telly this week.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fingers Crossed.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Press Letter Presented to the Judges.

The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund

The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund was borne from the terrorist attacks in New York on 11/9/01 when Robert Eaton an avid Brighton & Hove Albion supporter was working in the Twin Towers and was one of the 67 Britons who died that terrible day.

The fund came together with a special charity football match in November 2001 when Brighton & Hove Albion FC supporters and Crystal Palace FC supporters put aside fierce rivalry to play in Robert Eaton’s honour. The fund supports children to play football in the name of Robert Eaton and supports youngsters from 5-16 who may not otherwise be given the opportunity or resources to play.

We have given a 3 year funding package to Los Peladitos from Queen’s, New York to 230 Hispanic under privileged children.

In the last five years we have given support and funding to local football clubs in the Brighton & Hove area, Fishersgate Association, St George United, Southwick Dynamo’s, ASC Strikers, Fishersgate Flyers, Peacehaven Meridian FC, Dash FC and a club in Croydon called Wickham Wanderers has also been given four sets of brand new kit in recognition of the fantastic support Crystal Palace fans have given.

In December 2006 , The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund gave a 3 year coaching package to youngsters in Mali , Africa to play football and be coached. These children are orphans as their parents have been taken by the Aids crisis. They have received their 3rd £ 1000 donation earlier this year.

The fund raised £ 25000 in the few months after 11/9/01 and we have played 8 anniversary football matches, 3 at Withdean, the home of Brighton & Hove Albion and 8 golf days and the fund has raised over £ 65000 in total from matches, donations, auctions and marathon runs.

In 2008 the fund has given grants to The Seagulls-Specials, a club for disabled members of the local community, a further package of support to coaching for hope and 3 new sits of kit for ASC Strikers based in Shoreham.

In 2009 the fund has given a £ 5000 donation to the Seagulls Specials to continue with their good work helping disadvantaged and special needs children in the local community and its donation to coaching for hope as well as donations for further equipment to local clubs.

The fund will continue to organize an annual football match, golf day and further auctions.

The fund is keen to continue to support local football clubs for children from 5-16 years old in the Sussex and Croydon areas in the future.

The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund are staging the 9th annual football match in April 2010 and the 9th annual Golf day for Summer 2010.

In 2009 we had the 8th annual football match when ex Albion favourites , Peter Ward travelled from the USA and Ricky Marlowe travelled from Edinburgh for the 8th time especially to play for the Brighton supporters in the honour of Robert Eaton. The fund has raised over £ 10000 so far in 2009 from the football match, golf day, auctions and donations

The funds chairman Gareth Glover said " we are delighted to have supported all the clubs we have since 2001. Over 500 children from New York, Africa, South Africa, Croydon and Sussex have been given the opportunity to play football in the memory of Robert Eaton and everyone involved with the fund are delighted to continue to support good and worthy causes in the local area and beyond.What better way to honour Robert Eaton’s memory

All Brighton and Hove Albion and Crystal Palace supporters and all the people who have helped or donated can be very proud of this fund and what they have done.

:: Coaching For Hope ::
http://www.seagulls-specials.org.uk
Roz South - All Things Brighton Beautiful | Robert Eaton Memorial Fund
- contact Roz South for permissions

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Better luck this time.

thfwp-smiley-09.gif

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Should be a great night, looking forward to it.

REMF is one of 3 nominated for Charity of the Year

The other two being The Clock Tower Sanctuary and Children With Cancer

The Clock Tower Sanctuary
The only voluntary day centre for young homeless people in Brighton and Hove. It provides young homeless people with information, advice and sign-posting to essential services; food; access to a telephone and the internet and crisis support.

Children With Cancer Fund
The aim of the C.W.C.F. is simply to raise money and distribute it to causes that are associated with children up to the age of 18 who have had, or are suffering from a form of cancer and who live in our local area.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

This is one of those competitions where the honour is definitely in taking part, not winning.

Getting into The Argus Awards is itself a recognition of the excellent work that all three charities do. It seems a bit odd to be in a competition to be the 'winner'.

This year, I'm personally torn between REMF - which I know from NSC - and The Clock Tower Sanctuary - which I know from work. But maybe I should be giving more attention to the Children With Cancer Fund. The Argus Awards might help me do that.

I'm happy, though, just to celebrate the success of all three.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I agree the publicity we get just from being short listed is huge. Niocholas Own reads a piece about each charity infront of about 1000 people and its is the Argus so to be short listed in the final 3 , 3 years running and 4 times since 2001 is recognition enough.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is one of those competitions where the honour is definitely in taking part, not winning.

Getting into The Argus Awards is itself a recognition of the excellent work that all three charities do. It seems a bit odd to be in a competition to be the 'winner'.

This year, I'm personally torn between REMF - which I know from NSC - and The Clock Tower Sanctuary - which I know from work. But maybe I should be giving more attention to the Children With Cancer Fund. The Argus Awards might help me do that.

I'm happy, though, just to celebrate the success of all three.
Good post there Ed. Obviously the REMF is a charidee close the hearts of most of us on this board, but those other two are exceptionally worthy causes. That sanctuary one looks like a brilliant charity, and seeing as it's the only voluntary day centre for homeless people trying to help themselves, it sounds like it needs and deserves all the support it can get.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its a difficult one. How can you not say the other 2 charities are extremely worthy. Of course they are. This is the 4th time I have been for the REMF and I think the work this charity has done and what it has achieved is extraordinary and has united thousands of people over the years all from a very dark event.

After being shortlisted 4 times ( I don't believe any other charity has been shortlisted more than once ) I hope one year the REMF's time will come.

Whoever wins I think all 3 are very good causes.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
That sanctuary one looks like a brilliant charity, and seeing as it's the only voluntary day centre for homeless people trying to help themselves, it sounds like it needs and deserves all the support it can get.

It does do a brilliant job for young homeless. And they are always looking for assistance. At the moment they are attempting to raise funds as they have to move premises. A really worthwhile charity as you say - helping young homeless people help themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here