Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toughest pubs in Britain

Did anyone see this last night on Sky? Not sure if it's been aired before or if this has been a thread before, but they did a pub in Portsmouth and some of the chararters in there looked decidedly....well.....Pompeyish.

Mind you there was a nice one in Plymouth with topless barmaids :clap2:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How can a 'nice' pub be featured in Britain's toughest pubs?

I remember a pub in Plymouth where I went to the bar and when I got back, two blokes were rifling through my bag. I'd turned my back one minute. Nice place.

I see that the programme featured a pub in Merthyr, the town that must have the grottiest selection of pubs in the country. I think I've been to most of them :(

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Any pub in Slough. Absolute nightmare trying to find someplace to watch the Albion-QPR match without becoming embroiled in a Death Match challenge for no reason at all. Eventually plumped for the one where the landlord was bigger and uglier than the psycho punters. 'And one for yourself' seemed the right thing to say.

Last edited:

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
What a bunch of pissheads in that pub in Merthyr! That toothless guy was quite entertaining few a few seconds I suppose. And why was Portsmouth thought the hardest place in Britain. Maybe the place with the lowest average IQ, but hardest?!

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I have been to pubs in Kilburn, North London, where you wouldn't dare to go to the toilet unaccompanied.:lolol:

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
I saw it. The pub in Merthyr Tiddler - what a bunch of sad, sorry, bigotted bastards - made me LOL though!

Can't believe they didn't feature Liverpool - I went in one pub & just because one guy wouldn't hand over 50p to a scally he got knifed?? The whole place/street just erupted into a massive scrap.

I go to others with my scouse cousins & they always tell me not to speak at the bar - being a 'cockney' 'n all.

plymouth nige

plymouth nige
Oct 21, 2003
plymouth
The Avondale in Plymouth ain't for one minute hard - its just a place for the Jan Dockies to go for lunch. The Pennycomequick is worse than that - I expect a few of you have been in there.

wcnige

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Rangers pub just outside Celtic Park!!:eek: :eek:

Looked more like a bomb shelter!!

Just out of interest I quite often drive past the Hikers Rest (the one with the seagull bar) is that the hard pub of Brighton? (apologies to any fellow posters who drink there).

There was a British pub locally where they hired several lads that you never wanted to be on the wrong side of. They were completely sound blokes, but not if it kicked off .

One bloke was over the top though, and couldn't stop if he saw red. I heard he went to Reading and worked a door, and is wanted now for putting a bloke in intensive. No-one seems to know if that bloke ever actually came out .

The real hard lads never bragged about anything or pushed people around - but they weren't ever going to get done to, either. It's the bolshy tossers that run with mates, mob up and try intimidating .

Buzza said:
The Rangers pub just outside Celtic Park!!:eek: :eek:

Looked more like a bomb shelter!!

Just out of interest I quite often drive past the Hikers Rest (the one with the seagull bar) is that the hard pub of Brighton? (apologies to any fellow posters who drink there).

They're mopping up blood and teeth in there most closing times. Grenadier in Hangleton is bad too.

Albion Rob

The Rum Runner is like a little bit of Liverpool come to Eastbourne, unfortunately, it's the shit bit.

I also live a ten minute walk from the Lottbridge Arms, but I enjoy what features I have, so avoid it like the plague.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I used to go in the Stanmer Park Tavern quite a bit. It's the only local I've ever shared with a footballer (Ross Johnson). Saw a bloke get smacked with a broken-off snooker cue in there. Blood everywhere. Horrid.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, the Stanmer Park's changed a bit. It used to be my regular and the only action there might be was some old geezer's dentures dropping in his pint.

Mind you, beer was 15/16p a pint when I was going there so that should give you an idea of how long ago that was.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I used to drink in the stanemr park tavern a bit and there was always fights in there. My local used to be the Royal Hussar on lewes road altohugh its ben renamed since I last went there so can't remember what its called now but back then you could guarantee someone would get smashed in quite badly every weekend.

apart form that it was a pretty nice boozer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here