Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Brighton Brawl: Brighton v Chelsea - FA Cup 1973 - Video

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
http://www.viddler.com/explore/seagullstv/videos/15/

I am absolutely delighted to get my hands on this FA Cup match from The Big Match in 1973, and pleased to be able to share it with you. I had no idea video footage of it existed until about a week ago. It was Jimmy Hill's first game as commentator, apparently.

Incredible atmosphere in the second half as each team tries to kick lumps out of each other!

Would be interesting to kknow which NSC'ers were at this match.

(I hope the text on the screen throughout doesn't interfere with your watching too much).

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Yeap I was there in the North Stand, I remember Eddie Sperritt having a big lump on his face after Chopper Harris wacked him and Harris said after the game that he did not touch him. Hated Chelsea since that day

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was there and I hope George Ley never pays for the club again after that.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Got my 14 year old arse kicked by a bunch of Chelsea yobs in the North Stand. That season was pretty violent on the terraces !!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That match, in case anyone needs reminding, was game 11 in a run of 13 consecutive defeats!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Yes, we were bottom of League 2, they were a good league 1 team with many stars.

Hard fought & bad tempered game on & off the pitch.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Did you know we haqve only played Chelsea 4 times in the league, in fact Chelsea are the only top flight team who have a 100% record in leaguie ganes aganist us

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
No doubt next time we play them someone will come out with the stat that we haven't beaten them in over 100 years.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Yes, we were bottom of League 2, they were a good league 1 team with many stars.

Hard fought & bad tempered game on & off the pitch.

Dont use recent terms. Use the terms, that were about, when football, was football.

(OR was that the terms then?!:eek:)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Quality !!!!!

Give me more !!!!

The only other match from 1972-3 that I posted here a few months ago was the Millwall game. In case you missed it...

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hCji8iCl1Yw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hCji8iCl1Yw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Glad you enjoyed the Chelsea match! Am so pleased it has brought back so many memories.

More nostalgia clips to follow, now that I am armed with my brand new Canopus ADVC 55 analogue-to-digital converter!

Last edited:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
That Chelsea match was excellent, really enjoyed that apart from the score, thankyou.

This was about 3 years before my first Brighton game and i have to ask what happened to Sully?
He was going forward trying tricks and taking people on, I only remember him playing the ball sideways or backwards with the occasional exquisite long pass.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
i was there for part of 2nd half - had played football match in Hove Park first and got in when gates opened about 20 mins to go - now i know why i hated Harris and Webb

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I had that red ,white & green Chelsea away kit .

It was a cracking F.A. Cup tie .
Remember the thousands of Chelsea fans in the north-east corner & chicken run .
Don't reacall them breaching the north stand though .
Forgoten that it was televised .

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
http://www.viddler.com/explore/seagullstv/videos/15/

I am absolutely delighted to get my hands on this FA Cup match from The Big Match in 1973, and pleased to be able to share it with you. I had no idea video footage of it existed until about a week ago. It was Jimmy Hill's first game as commentator, apparently.

Incredible atmosphere in the second half as each team tries to kick lumps out of each other!

Would be interesting to kknow which NSC'ers were at this match.

(I hope the text on the screen throughout doesn't interfere with your watching too much).
Goldstone Rapper, You truly are a star :albion2::albion2:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Fantastic work GR! Great 'Goldstone Roar' when the boys go forward. Even a bell ringer in the crowd - did Mr Tattooed Portsmouth FC geezer used to support the Albion before defecting to Pompey? :ohmy:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here