Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England B International at The Goldstone

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Who remembers this game? A great game by friendly standards and some terrific players on show including two of the stars of Italia 90 - Scillachi and Gascoigne. Surely one of the most star studded games ever at The Goldstone?

FRIENDLY INTERNATIONAL
14/11/1989, Brighton, Goldstone Ground, 16,125
ENGLAND B 1-1 ITALY B [HT 1-1]
Scorer:
England B: Tony Adams
Italy B: Giovanni Stroppa

ENGLAND B:
Nigel Martyn [Bristol Rovers]
>88' Dave Beasant [Chelsea]
Paul Parker [Queen's Park Rangers]
>46' Lee Dixon [Arsenal]
Tony Dorigo [Chelsea]
Michael Thomas [Arsenal]
Tony Adams [c] [Arsenal]
Gary Pallister [Manchester United]
>46' Andy Linighan [Norwich City]
Dennis Wise [Wimbledon]
>46' Peter Beagrie [Everton]
Paul Gascoigne [Tottenham Hotspurs]
Steve Bull [Wolverhampton Wanderers]
David Batty [Leeds United]
Mike Newell [Everton]
>77' Paul Williams [Charlton Athletic]

ITAB: Gianluca Pagliuca, S Rossini, Marco Lanna, S Salvatori (L Garzva 74'), M
Baroni, L Pellegrini, Diego Fuser, Amedeo Carboni (Paolo di Canio 46'), Ruggiero Rizzitelli, Giovanni Stroppa, Salvatore Schillaci (Marco Simone 46')
Referee: Gunn (England)

Last edited:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I went. Lived in Wilbury Villas at the time so it was only a short stroll to the ground. I do remember it as an entertaining game and remember hoping Beagrie would score so he would do his somersault. Looking at the programme at the time, the Italian side caused a lot of 'who's he?' comments but now it reads pretty well.

D

Deleted User X18H

I remember it well have the programme somewhere. I remember standing next to some Wolves fans in thee North Stand who had come down to see Steve Bull.

I also remember Peter Beagrie having a great game on the wing and about 3 officials running on the pitch every time an Italian player went down and the mass ranks of Italians in The South Stand from a local Sussex Sunday League side

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I went 9 years old and for some reason pretty much my only memory is random Italian advertising boards scattered around the place

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Slightly off topic, but I really hope when we move into Falmer, we get a few England U21 games. We should do - recently they have played at Stadium:MK and Molineux.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yep I was there. They even had a marching band!

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was there. Didn't Paul Gascoine do one of those 'cross the ball with one leg behind the other' tricks or something like that...? I remember him putting in one spectacularly impressive cross.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Blimey I had forgotten all about that. That was a corker and a good turnout too.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yeah, I remember it clearly, although I never realised Di Canio played in that game.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
My memory of it is thinking how unusual it was because we had to queue to get in.

There weren't queues for many games at the Goldstone in the late 1980s.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
i remember walking over Hove Park about 15 mins before kick off and being amazed at the massive queues all along old Shoreham road to get in the north stand......it was rammed in there that night!! Very good night from what i can remember.

There were only 16,000 there? Doesn't seem right, seem to remember people being locked out.

I remember the North Stand being absolutely jammed for this. There was much talk afterwards that the club had fiddled the gate numbers and pocketed the cash. No way were there only 16,000 crammed in that night.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well there's another of my obviously suspect memories shattered. I always thought Paulo Maldini played in that game too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
excellent night. Seem to recall Gazza was brilliant that night.

There was also some wolves fans around us in the East come to watch Bully

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here