Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Companies/brands you remember that no longer exist

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
OMO%20Washing%20Powder%201kg.jpg

Does anyone else remember some sex scandal in the early 90s (as exposed by the NOTW) where they had some estate I think it was, where the women were putting boxes of OMO in their kitchen windows to signal 'Old Man Out'? And therefore advertising their availability?

I know I havent imagined this because I used too work sundays in those days and remember reading it at work.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sadly this little photo does not do it justice.

davidrosesports.jpg

:bowdown:

I do remember Broadley Brothers. I think it was bought by Ray Bloom and turned into Good Bean, before the entire company was sold to that other chain (name escapes me).

Indeed, a sad loss to Sussex brewing. Although isn't the name still used to try and give cachet to some bastardised 'foreign' brew which is about as 'Sussex' as Perrier water? (and about as tasty).

On a national level - Who (apart from Ben's Grandad) remembers Brickwoods and Double Diamond?

1) I think the tea at Withdean tastes better than most that Hall & Woodhouse produce at Dorchester. The only Sussex conection is that Wes Fogden plays for the local team.
2) Remember them both althought DD never worked any wonders for me.

Playing On The Grit

Twitter: @leighjcooper
Apr 2, 2008
As we're moving on to shops . . .

'Diplomat Records' in London Road and 'Clapshaw & Cleave' in Queens Road

I grew up in Lewes where we had Lipton's, Rice Brothers and The Record Bar down in The Cliffe and International at the top of School Hill. I just about remember Tesco having a store where Bill's is now. They had a boat outside you put 10p in and it would go backwards and forwards like the Postman Pat vans you see today.

We got our school uniforms from Dalton's or Fogden's and both shops had Farah trousers and Pringle jumpers for the dads!

There was a toy shop opposite Woolies and at the far end of Cliffe was the video shop (County Video?) which only had about four titles back in the early 80s! I remember On Golden Pond and the Smokey&The Bandit movies plus a load of cartoons taped off the telly being about the only videos that you could rent out!

There was the Bottle and Basket offie near where the Cuilfail Tunnel is now where my dad used to go for his tobacco and whisky! My mum got a job in Safeway when it first opened at the end of the 70s/start of the 80s (can't quite remember when it opened).

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Indeed, a sad loss to Sussex brewing. Although isn't the name still used to try and give cachet to some bastardised 'foreign' brew which is about as 'Sussex' as Perrier water? (and about as tasty).

On a national level - Who (apart from Ben's Grandad) remembers Brickwoods and Double Diamond?

Never drunk much of it , but remember the slogan ,
" A Double Diamond works wonders , works wonders ... "

"Ben Trueman" was my go when I started out as a teenager .
On tap in almost every pub in the late '70's .

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Does anyone else remember some sex scandal in the early 90s (as exposed by the NOTW) where they had some estate I think it was, where the women were putting boxes of OMO in their kitchen windows to signal 'Old Man Out'? And therefore advertising their availability?

I know I havent imagined this because I used too work sundays in those days and remember reading it at work.

You might indeed not have imagined reading about it , but have you ever considered the
distinct possibility that the story might of been a load of bollocks ?

Feb 2, 2009
You might indeed not have imagined reading about it , but have you ever considered the
distinct possibility that the story might of been a load of bollocks ?

Totally true this story. The estates in question were Naval married quarters and it happened in the late 80's early 90's. The women left the boxes in the window of the outside porch and that signalled the all clear. I know this is fact as a young lady i was seeing at the time used to do it

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
716707526_540a8f0f87.jpg

cp-air.jpg

oldsmobile_3048.jpg

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
abc_odeon_beckenham__abc_minors.htm

Didn't seem to want to show the picture but the song went

We are the boys and girls well known as
Minors of the ABC
And every Saturday we line up
To see the films we like
And shout aloud with glee
We love to laugh and have a singsong
Such a happy crowd are we
We’re all pals together
The minors of the ABC

The ABC Minors Song
(Sung to the tune of ‘Blaze Away’)

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
"Ben Trueman" was my go when I started out as a teenager .
On tap in almost every pub in the late '70's .

Only in Watney's pubs, where it competed with the vile Red Barrel or Special. Bass Charrington's fizzy bitter was Toby, Allied Breweries had Ind Coope and the aforementioned Double Diamond and Courage had "JC". I can't remember what Whitbread's was - it was probably something so foul, that my brain has rejected the memory. And those companies had something like 90 percent of all English pubs between them.

It was very hard to get a decent pint in Brighton in those days: the only places that stocked Harveys that I can recall were the Nelson, the Mitre, Nobles (now Maria Fitzherbert's) and the Swan at Falmer.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Only in Watney's pubs, where it competed with the vile Red Barrel or Special. Bass Charrington's fizzy bitter was Toby, Allied Breweries had Ind Coope and the aforementioned Double Diamond and Courage had "JC". I can't remember what Whitbread's was - it was probably something so foul, that my brain has rejected the memory. And those companies had something like 90 percent of all English pubs between them.

It was very hard to get a decent pint in Brighton in those days: the only places that stocked Harveys that I can recall were the Nelson, the Mitre, Nobles (now Maria Fitzherbert's) and the Swan at Falmer.

Was the Whitbread pint de jour , "Tankard" ?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Mence Smiths (Ironmongers)

Bellmans (Clothing/Knitware)

International Stores (Grocers)

Milk bars

Neilsons Ice Cream

Trophy?:sick:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here