Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Companies/brands you remember that no longer exist

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

On the face of it 5% doesn't sound like a awful lot but who works for a company who does that now?[/QUOTE]

That was 5% on top of their basic salary, a bonus if you like and 5% of their annual turnover was not to be sneezed at.
He said it made everyone give that little bit more effort to out do the competion.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Zenith Data Systems
Today Newspaper
Wang Computers

Computer companies are particularly prone to disappearing. I remember moving office in 1998 and coming across a PC magazine from 1985; we looked at the advertisers and found that out of more than 30 companies, just one was still in existence 13 years later - that one was Microsoft.

You mention Wang but I remember from that mid-range/mini space: DEC, Honeywell, Data General, Control Data (CDI), Norsk and Prime. Only Sun and HP are still around from that market - and Sun is about to vanish.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There's a host of Airlines that went bust. I worked for one of them although I left before the stuff hit the fan as I could see what was coming. However it should be remembered that British Airways were bailed out to the tune of £100,000,000 by the tax payer in order to fatten them up for privatisation. Had this not happened then the likes of British Caledonian and Dan Air would still be here today.

British Rail
432px-BR-logo.svg.png

and

(one for the geeks)

the blue and yellow InterCity 125 locomotives, as promoted by Sir Jimmy Savile, with the slogan This is the age of the train
inter125.jpg

Another geek here! I think you will find that the Intercity 125 (Class 43 to us anoraks) is still going strong, although the colours, interiors and power plants have changed considerably over the years. And whilst we are on the rail theme - Connex are no more in the South at least, thank goodness.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Luncheon Vouchers .

Actually , that's a presumption .
I can't imagine that they would still be in use in the U.K.
A tax-free component of your wages .
You wern't allowed to receive any change .
This was from an era when most people were payed in cash .
And that's another industry gone down the gurglar , "The Armed Hold-Up Villian " .
Couldn't of had "The Sweeny" without them .

Playing On The Grit

Twitter: @leighjcooper
Apr 2, 2008
The Townsend Thoresen reference on another thread got me thinking. I don't believe they exist any more, presumably due to their unfortunate habit of leaving the back door open on their ferries.

So on the subject of long forgotten brands or companies: I give you- the Betamax video :clap:

betamax.jpg

Our first video in the 80s was this baby

v2k_gv01.jpg

The V2000 video recorder which had cassettes recordable on both sides. I remember coming home from school on the day we got it and my dad had taped an episode of The Sullivans (anyone remember that Aussie soap from the early 80s??!!) and we kept rewinding a bit where a character played by the actress who went on to become Mrs Mangle took some cakes out of the oven so that it looked like she was putting them in the oven. We did that for ages without tiring of the space age technology!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Howsabout the Daddy of all bubblegum?

56.jpg

They used to come with a Bazooka Joe cartoon-thing inside the packet - which we would all mercifully destroy, as our little mitts desperately tore away at the wrapper. They used to do a long Bazooka bubblegum too (which was reasuringly expensive) which resembled a turd devided into 4 or 5 sections. And not a lot of people know that.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Beards of Sussex
Hardys and Hansons

Sure there are many, many more breweries but I'm too young to remember.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Electric cars? Pah! Sir Clive Sinclair saw the future & promptly f***ed it up with this piece of junk..

p0000741.jpg

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Brighton & Hove Herald; Brighton & Hove Gazette; Cobleys (School uniforms in Church Road, Hove) Southern Rentals (TV and radio) Coes Fishmongers, George Street, Hove; Hamiltons the Butcher, Blachington Road, Hove; Tamplins Brewery; Kemp Town Brewery;

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
King & Barnes. :cry:
Indeed, a sad loss to Sussex brewing. Although isn't the name still used to try and give cachet to some bastardised 'foreign' brew which is about as 'Sussex' as Perrier water? (and about as tasty).

On a national level - Who (apart from Ben's Grandad) remembers Brickwoods and Double Diamond?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here