Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Those serious-faced runs by losing goalscorers

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
And another favourite is goalkeepers who pull off spectacular saves from shots outside the box and immediately leap up and scream at their defenders for allowing them the opportunity to shamlessly show off.

:lolol:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
A beauty at Carrow Road. Spoilt slightly by a slightly fey wave to the crowd from the centre circle but otherwise textbook.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Jelavic - Bringing Hull back from 2-0 down to 2-1 against Fulham on Saturday. Had a FIST PUMP and everything. Textbook.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Jelavic - Bringing Hull back from 2-0 down to 2-1 against Fulham on Saturday. Had a FIST PUMP and everything. Textbook.
Isn't this about the earnest futility of retrieving the ball when you've basically been either spanked or routinely beaten?

If so, I'm not sure it really counts on 70 odd minutes? Ample time to score an equaliser, which they duly did (and really should have done a couple of minutes before).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Isn't this about the earnest futility of retrieving the ball when you've basically been either spanked or routinely beaten?

If so, I'm not sure it really counts on 70 odd minutes? Ample time to score an equaliser, which they duly did (and really should have done a couple of minutes before).

Don't think so? It's about the goaldown retriever. About a team who are losing and are trying to get back into the game. See the OP.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Anyone trying to stop the Goldown Retriever should be known as the Forlorn Hope. Their efforts are pointless but yet are somehow admirable. Never in the field of football has a ref said oh okay since you're trying to stop them having the ball you can keep it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What. A. Man.

Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 11.40.26.png

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Perhaps an obligation to recover the ball should be extended to ALL goalscorers.

This would not only get the game under way more quickly, but also absolve players from the need to think up ever more absurd and protracted 'celebrations'.

So, a new rule? 'The bloke who nets it, gets it.'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
We also need term for when goalkeepers in an effort to run the clock down make that exaggerated flop on to the ball whey kind of jack knife the legs and earnestly hug the ball tight under their chin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here