Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1972/73 Millwall v Brighton - vintage video

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
here you are, a game from November 1972....

[yt]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hCji8iCl1Yw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hCji8iCl1Yw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/yt]

P.S. If anyone has the Brighton v Liverpool full game from 1984, or the 1983 FA Cup Final build-up, please can you make me a DVD? thanks....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Derek Possee ... what a great name for a footballer!!

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Was at the game and brought back memories.
After Alf Wood scored the third, he celebrated in front of me and two mates. As was customary in those days, we acknowledged his fine header with two fingered salutes and some rather industrial language. Next thing we knew, a baying mob, the other side of the fence, were pointing us out and telling us we were going to get our f...ing heads kicked in.
Whilst the crowd were still celebrating, we crept out and headed away from the ground. After about two minutes, something possessed me to look back and there were about 30 of them closing us down.
Usain Bolt, eat yer heart out...we sprinted towards the tube, swept past the ticket inspector and leapt into the only train there. It was our lucky day...within seconds it was pulling out and we watched as our likely assassins came pouring down the stairs onto the platform.
It was pure, cold fear and I still remember it to this day.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
thank you for the memories, Horney. glad you survived to tell the tale! :)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Was at the game and brought back memories.
After Alf Wood scored the third, he celebrated in front of me and two mates. As was customary in those days, we acknowledged his fine header with two fingered salutes and some rather industrial language. Next thing we knew, a baying mob, the other side of the fence, were pointing us out and telling us we were going to get our f...ing heads kicked in.
Whilst the crowd were still celebrating, we crept out and headed away from the ground. After about two minutes, something possessed me to look back and there were about 30 of them closing us down.
Usain Bolt, eat yer heart out...we sprinted towards the tube, swept past the ticket inspector and leapt into the only train there. It was our lucky day...within seconds it was pulling out and we watched as our likely assassins came pouring down the stairs onto the platform.
It was pure, cold fear and I still remember it to this day.

I was also there, just a yyoungster so no pubbing & my 1st visit to the Den. I was on my own and it wasn't a very friendly place so just kept quiet throughout a miserable defeat. had plenty of practise that season!

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
That season has to be my yardstick for worst albion season ever. When people say 'this is the worst team I can ever remember', I always think no, the 72-72 team was the worst.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
The Millwall match started the run of 13 consecutive defeats, which included some absolute hammerings...5 at Carlisle and Fulham, 4 at Preston, not to mention more routine 3-0s. We'd already let in 6 at Blackpool in my worst football day out to this day.

The funny thing looking back was that people accepted it and there were no real calls for the manager's sacking. Indeed Pat Saward kept his job for another 12 months, before Brian Clough was appointed.

It was just a different culture then-no Internet forums, no phone-ins and no 24 hour news channels. That was basically a 3rd division team, out of their depth in the higher league, and there was no pressure from the fans to change that situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here