Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can someone date my BHA lampshade?

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I don't mean take it out for a few drinks...

I mean hazard a guess as to it's era

It's made of off-white card, with a mid green edging top and bottom, that wraps round the metal wire rings, the top one having the mounting for the bulb holder...

Printed on it is a little football, a larger football, a BHA player challenging a goalkeeper, who is on the floor, four (4) Cups, which I take to be The FA Cup, The League Cup, The 1st. Division Trophy and possibly The European Cup and 'BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION FC' with the old double heraldic symbol above this text...

Ring any bells sleuth type dudes?

:albion2:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
photograph it!

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Good idea GR :thumbsup:

shade1.jpg

shade2.jpg

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I cant date it but it gave me a right stiffy,you lucky lucky man,i would have that on in the daytime if it were mine. :thumbsup:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ahhhh, the clue is in the graphics. So a year when Brighton were challenging for the old 1st Division Championship, Fa Cup, League Cup and European Cup. Anyone?

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I would guess, and I mean guess at 1978.

Just wondering whether the inclusion of the FA cup would make it post 1983 though.

I thought around late 70's :thumbsup:

It has pics of the old 1st. Div. Trophy, The League Cup, The FA Cup and what is I think is The European Cup, so it might be a souvenier of our stay in the old Div. 1 from '79 to '83...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I would guess, and I mean guess at 1978.

Just wondering whether the inclusion of the FA cup would make it post 1983 though.

I concur. I had one, that if my memory serves me correctly, was almost identical in my bedroom in my early teens. I was 13 in 1978.

Jimmy Grimble

Is that back when the FA cup actually meant something? :(

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
after 1980, we were playing in the gorgeous all blue kit anyway. I reckon about 1973/74...

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I used to have one of these or, at least, I did have something that I remember as being very similar. I think it must have been around the 1976 - 1979 period. I'm fairly sure it wasn't as late as the Cup Final as I remember it at my parents house and I wasn't living there by then. The fact it doesn't have a Seagulls badge on though may mean it was first produced a little earlier than I may have first owned it.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Looks a classic example of Brighton fan memorabilia circa late 70's or even possible early 70's? Although does appear to have some "cosmetic" damage. But nothing that a sports merorabilia restorer couldnt put right"!!

Also might be of some considerable value to the right buyer? As these retro- Brighton lampshades are now highly sort after. You might even want to take it along to one of these recordings? Weybridge appears to be the closest venue. :lolol:

Antiques Roadshow (BBC One)
Recording dates for 2009 are as follows. The doors will be open from 9.30am to 4.30pm and as long as you are in the queue by 4.30pm you will see an expert.

Date Venue
Thursday 23 April Bath Assembly Rooms, Somerset
Thursday 14 May Stanway House, Gloucestershire
Thursday 21 May Burghley House, Stamford, Lincolnshire
Sunday 31 May Brooklands Museum, Weybridge, Surrey
Tuesday 9 June Saumarez Park, Guernsey
Friday 12 June Samarès Manor, Jersey
date to be confirmed Devon - venue to be confirmed

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I used to have one of these or, at least, I did have something that I remember as being very similar. I think it must have been around the 1976 - 1979 period. I'm fairly sure it wasn't as late as the Cup Final as I remember it at my parents house and I wasn't living there by then. The fact it doesn't have a Seagulls badge on though may mean it was first produced a little earlier than I may have first owned it.

Good call

I've just checked the 76-77 Rothmans and we were known then as The Dolphins, so possibly making it around that time or slightly earlier as you say :thumbsup:

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Looks a classic example of Brighton fan memorabilia circa late 70's or even possible early 70's? Although does appear to have some "cosmetic" damage. But nothing that a sports merorabilia restorer couldnt put right"!!

Also might be of some considerable value to the right buyer? As these retro- Brighton lampshades are now highly sort after. You might even want to take it along to one of these recordings? Weybridge appears to be the closest venue. :lolol:

Antiques Roadshow (BBC One)
Recording dates for 2009 are as follows. The doors will be open from 9.30am to 4.30pm and as long as you are in the queue by 4.30pm you will see an expert.

Date Venue
Thursday 23 April Bath Assembly Rooms, Somerset
Thursday 14 May Stanway House, Gloucestershire
Thursday 21 May Burghley House, Stamford, Lincolnshire
Sunday 31 May Brooklands Museum, Weybridge, Surrey
Tuesday 9 June Saumarez Park, Guernsey
Friday 12 June Samarès Manor, Jersey
date to be confirmed Devon - venue to be confirmed

Cheers for that Fazz, but Mike Melody has already bid me 2/6, so I told him to jog on :ohmy:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The Dolphins didn't last long. One day we went to Palarse and they were chanting Eagles so from the other end came the spontaneous chant of Seagulls. A legend was born. 73-74? :ascarf:

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
The Dolphins didn't last long. One day we went to Palarse and they were chanting Eagles so from the other end came the spontaneous chant of Seagulls. A legend was born. 73-74? :ascarf:

The 77-78 edition of the Rothmans has us as The Seagulls, so that would be for the 78-79 promotion winning season

I think we came third in the 77-78 season, so perhaps the change of nickname gave us impetus to get the promotion the following season :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here