Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Des Tennant

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
I have just learned of the demise of former Albion player and captain Des Tennant after a long illness. Des died in his beloved Wales over the weekend.

He was on the Albion's books from 1948 to 1959. He made 400 appearences, mainly at right back yet he scored 40 goals.

My thoughts are with his son Warren who still lives in Hove. RIP Des you lovely man.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Before my time, but one of my dad's favourite players.

I know that he's come back to the Albion for the odd game over the years - a great servant of the club.

RIP

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Before my time but highly regarded by those who saw him. 400+ games makes him a legand.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He was originally a right half but moved to right back during the 50s.

Have tried a google search and also The Argus but comes up no answers.

Last edited:

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Saw 'The Tank' play many times and this guy was a truly excellent club man.

He scored one of the greatest goals ever seen out at the Goldstone when we were playing Burnley in the FA cup. At the time, Burnley was one of the top teams in the old First Division with many internationals. I believe we were 2-3 down when he struck the ball towards the North Stand from about 35 yards and equalised to take us to Turf Moor for a replay.

Rest in Peace Des.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am fairly sure that either at the end of last season or the begining of this they did a tribute on the Withdean pitch to both the cup final teams of 1983 and the Div III South winning team of 1957/58 was probably last season as the 25th Anniversary of the cup final and 50th of gaining promotion the first time ever. Des was presented on the pitch along with Denis Foreman and Eric Gill.

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
I am fairly sure that either at the end of last season or the begining of this they did a tribute on the Withdean pitch to both the cup final teams of 1983 and the Div III South winning team of 1957/58 was probably last season as the 25th Anniversary of the cup final and 50th of gaining promotion the first time ever. Des was presented on the pitch along with Denis Foreman and Eric Gill.

What great memories there are of that 57/8 season and the first ever promotion from the old Div 3 South.

He scored one of the greatest goals ever seen out at the Goldstone when we were playing Burnley in the FA cup. At the time, Burnley was one of the top teams in the old First Division with many internationals. I believe we were 2-3 down when he struck the ball towards the North Stand from about 35 yards and equalised to take us to Turf Moor for a replay.

I was at that game and remember that fantastic goal. Burnley were one of the two top teams in the country then.

But I'm not sure Des Tennant scored it. I thought it was Bob McNichol?

RIP Des, I met him at a book signing, nice bloke.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
It was Bob McNichol who scored that goal.

Here's Des withh Flash Gordon. Pictures courtesy of Ebay!

Attachments

• Tennant & Gordon.jpg
    Tennant & Gordon.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
I was at that game and remember that fantastic goal. Burnley were one of the two top teams in the country then.

But I'm not sure Des Tennant scored it. I thought it was Bob McNichol?

RIP Des, I met him at a book signing, nice bloke.

Apologies, you're quite right. On that occasion it was Bob. Definitely recall Tank scoring goals like that from long range though. What with him one side and my first idol, Jimmy Langley on the other, the Albion had a formidable set of full backs.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!

Des wasn't able to make that occasion due to his ilness. However he was at Withdean at the end of Micky's first season with us, and he was presented to fans with some of his ex-colleagues on the pitch on that occasion.

After the game the current team along with both Micky and Corky in cracking form were guests at a (Wedge's) Preston Park pub. The old team went along too. The Albion fans had a great evening mingling with their idols old and new. Des really enjoyed the day too.

I had the priviledge of driving Des from the pub to his son's house. He told me about his condition Motor Neurone Disease, and that he went to the hospital on a monthly basis for tests.
"It's not for me that I have the tests. They can't help me, but they might be able to help the poor buggers who come after me," he said.

Other posts have spoken of the goals that he scored. I have an abiding memory of one of his specials. When Des played there were always fixtures on both Christmas and Boxing Day. If you were at home to a particular team on Christmas Morning then you played the same team away on Boxing Day afternoon. One Christmas morning we played Newport County away, and we won by maybe three or four goals. The large home crowd at The Goldstone the next afternoon were stunned in to silence as Newport were two up. We pulled one back and we threw everything at them as they defended the north goal. It was one way traffic, but with a few minutes remaining we were still losing. Almost on time Des was on the ball in a midfield position about forty yards out. He advanced a couple of places and let fly. The force of the shot meant that the keeper went up to save it at the same time as the net bulged. Once again Des had come to the rescue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here