Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Possibly the coolest thing to happen to transport in a long time.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Forgive me if this has been discussed before but Heathrow have completed most of the infrastructure for this amazing new transport service.

It looks a bit like something out of Logan’s run but I think it’s a great idea. Apparently Cardiff is the next place to install them!

Here is a picture of the ‘pods’ and the company video, pretty cool aye?
pod.jpg

pod2.jpg

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I want to ride on one. :)

I wonder how many people in Cardiff (if they get them) will want to shag in it then smear kebab over the interior?

ps you can ride in them in early 2009 (at Heathrow) :clap:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
In silver too.............POD SILVER.jpg

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
How many millions did that cost? There would I am sure have been many cheaper and more practical solutions to get passengers from the car park to the terminal ... like buses.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Very clever idea, and with all the traffic and pollution other forms of transport can create, could well be the future.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
My mate is helping to design and build it here in Bristol and Cardiff. He is very stressed that they aren't going to be ready. He has shown me how they work and it is indeed very cool. Think it will only be available to business class customers and above at Terminal 5 at the start but if successful will be rolled out.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I wonder how many people in Cardiff (if they get them) will want to shag in it then smear kebab over the interior?

ps you can ride in them in early 2009 (at Heathrow) :clap:

Cardiff airport is not in Cardiff. Actually in the Vale of Glamorgan. One of the most well off areas with highest educational achievement in Wales.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
How many millions did that cost? There would I am sure have been many cheaper and more practical solutions to get passengers from the car park to the terminal ... like buses.

It's innovation. I'm sure there were cheaper alternatives to creating the car, the tv and the iPod, but look what they've done...

I'm all for it, plus they look awesome :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We were in Detroit airport, needing to go to a gate at the far end of the map.

All things lead us to the mono-rail, which promptly broke down the moment we arrived on the platform.
15 minutes of waiting and finally it arrives, on we jump, away we go, thinking we were off to an adjoining terminal.

But no, this very expensive system had been built to transport us a maximium of a 1/4 mile, we could have easily walked in 5mins.

We were in Detroit airport, needing to go to a gate at the far end of the map.

All things lead us to the mono-rail, which promptly broke down the moment we arrived on the platform.
15 minutes of waiting and finally it arrives, on we jump, away we go, thinking we were off to an adjoining terminal.

But no, this very expensive system had been built to transport us a maximium of a 1/4 mile, we could have easily walked in 5mins.
The whole point of airport management is to ensure that NO passenger ever has a clue about the layout. How often do passengers find themselves with a half-mile walk to reach the next stage of their journey (eg Baggage Reclaim)? Do the signs ever admit this? Of course not. How far is "Gate 51"? Just through that door, apparently. No it's not. It's through that door and twenty minutes walk away.

Do we complain? No. Because we somehow believe that, next time, it will be different. It won't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here