Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supporters Club

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It could be argued that Bozza is representative of the largest body of Albion supporters, being the owner of NSC.

It would only be argued by some sort of madman.

NSC has 6,609 members, now obviously loads are one-off posters, spammers, people with two or more memberships etc etc but just imagine if you could harness the power of NSC.

I've often thought about this, although not recently. But I have felt that there has been the need for another paid-up independent Albion supporters' group. One of the main reasons for this is illustrated by the two statements below. Given the demographic of the SC, which is acknowledged, I'm not sure how the SC is able to represent the "train and beers" matchday experience sort of fan. Although checking my birth certificate now, I seem to be more of a thermos flask and coach sort of age now :(

I agree that the members are not representative of the Albion fanbase in general, and I don't think they ever will be. It's also a valid criticism that the age range is too high

We liaise with police forces across the country to try to ensure that the matchday experience is good for supporters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But you have to admit, Bozza, that it's only a real insider like yourself who knows the TRUTH.

The rest of us just make things up.

Eh? (Sorry I've been in work meetings and on the shitty motorways between Lichfield and Somerset all day if this is some sort of in-joke of the day)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The only truth is that 95% of Albion fans have no desire to join the Supporters Club. Fact. Is that a stat for good or evil? No idea. Don't care.Won't be joining. Ever.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've often thought about this, although not recently. But I have felt that there has been the need for another paid-up independent Albion supporters' group. One of the main reasons for this is illustrated by the two statements below. Given the demographic of the SC, which is acknowledged, I'm not sure how the SC is able to represent the "train and beers" matchday experience sort of fan. Although checking my birth certificate now, I seem to be more of a thermos flask and coach sort of age now :(
It's been said on here before that there is a need for something along the lines of the old BISA. As you say, most members of the supporters club fit a certain demographic, and I'm sure this is what contributes to any 'antagonism', as the history man calls it. There is a perception amongst other fans that the SC is very cliquey. Having been on the coach a few times when I was younger, I'd say there is some justification for that opinion. That said, I have the upmost respect for the people who have gone every week on the coach for years and years. Wasn't there 13 people on a minibus to walsall for the JPT once? that is dedication.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
The fact the Supporters Club only averages around 360 members a season is probably a sign of the times. Forty or fifty years ago, when supporter's organisations were powerful organisations with thousands of members at most league clubs, these clubs were probably viewed more as a social club who ran activities and social evenings to entertain fans. There wasn't the myriad of other social activities, hundreds of tv channels, computers etc available to occupy people's time so people supported the supporters club's events which, as a by product, helped raised funds for the football club.

These days, people are largely not interested in supporting a bingo night or such events so naturally membership of the club dwindles if people don't have a reason to join. Ultimately, many people will not join a club without getting something tangible back for their money which is something our supporters club is largely not in a position to offer.

Hopefully as we go forward towards Falmer, the various supporters organisations will be able to come up with a way of uniting so that every supporter has a voice if they want it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Time for a bounce me thinks in view of some of the comments on the "Mouthgate" thread.

My long held view is that supporters club is very much like a village church. It's run for the few that attend and whilst they don't actually stop other people from attending they are not exactly publicising the joining details because frankly it is there as a social club for the current membership.

Back in the days at the Goldstone I remember a slightly more active supporters club. They had entries in the programme promoting the club with contact details and how to join. Can this be brought back?

Why does the club not promote itself to the fanbase. The history man states that it had a membership of 300. That is frankly crap given that the club has 30,000+ members on it's database. How can this possibly represent fans.

I think it's time to push this and get a wider fanbase in place and encourage whoever is running the show now to get their act together and start to promote the supporters club. The recent steward issue is just one of many where I feel a strong supporters club would have more clout to stand up for the fanbase. But it needs fresh blood I'm sure as the same old people seem to be running it (from the little I can gather).

I'm joining out of curiosity now, and I will be interested to see if I am right.

I have a feeling I will find it is not sumething I want to be associated with but what else is there? If the current supporters club can't represent the fanbase then surely a new one is needed?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here