Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nights out in Brighton on the Late 70s - Early 80s

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Wasn't that under the Kingswest in the 70's, below Jenkinsons.

In the 80's it was called Busby's.

no, the place I mean was further along towards Hove, maybe it wasn't Revelations. This thread is doing my brain in, I'm still trying to remember the Electric Grape! But I'm sure I went there

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
no, the place I mean was further along towards Hove, maybe it wasn't Revelations. This thread is doing my brain in, I'm still trying to remember the Electric Grape! But I'm sure I went there

It was a tiny shop front, on Queens Road up from the clock tower on the left. Say just 15 doors up. It wasn’t open for many years. Early 80’s.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Under Kingswest the club was called Revolution. Maybe the club you are thinking of further up towards Hove is Brighton Belle or Pallet Rooms. I can't remember the Electric Grape either.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Anyone go to Bentleys, just down from the clocktower on the right, frequented by many of our players. My mate was on the door, asked me to do a few shifts with him when I was on leave, plenty of girls around, once the footbalers had left!

Also memories of seeing Jimmy case and Fozzie in Coasters on the Friday night before we played West Ham on Peter Wards return, they were both pissed at 1.00 am and playing that same day. Big fight in the North Stand and Frank Lampard was sent off, can't remember the score however and Wardy didn't score unfortunately.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Anyone go to Bentleys, just down from the clocktower on the right, frequented by many of our players. My mate was on the door, asked me to do a few shifts with him when I was on leave, plenty of girls around, once the footbalers had left!

Also memories of seeing Jimmy case and Fozzie in Coasters on the Friday night before we played West Ham on Peter Wards return, they were both pissed at 1.00 am and playing that same day. Big fight in the North Stand and Frank Lampard was sent off, can't remember the score however and Wardy didn't score unfortunately.

Tried to get in a few times after Coasters closed at 1am, but snotty doormen weren’t going to let in late teens wearing casual.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Anyone go to Bentleys, just down from the clocktower on the right, frequented by many of our players. My mate was on the door, asked me to do a few shifts with him when I was on leave, plenty of girls around, once the footbalers had left!.
I had a membership card for Bentleys and have still got it in one my old wallets. Fred and his wife Steph were co-owners (I think) who were at the Ship in Lewes Road and then moved to the Brunswich at the Level. I had some good times at that club.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave

Think I went a**e over tit down the spiral staircase in there. Only went in a couple of times as a long shot when being refused everywhere else. Was it just me that had a hard time gaining entry in to the usual haunts? Not every week, but far too often that's for sure. Once got refused from the Coconut as there were "too many Brighton" inside already!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So we know where everbody went but where did you get thrown out of? The cannon,sherrys,crystal rooms all on the same night and the conference centre on the firms xmas do:rolleyes:

Pink Coconut - caught pee-ing out the ground floor rear fire door in Middle Street. I made up with the management the next week, to avoid a ban from a prime venue.

If doormen didn't let us in, we didn't make a massive fuss, to avoid a ban. A couple of associates took swings over the years, lost and then received painful bans.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Used to go there when the players were 'unwinding', good fun, who was the owner a nice guy charismatic fella, good fun.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
So we know where everbody went but where did you get thrown out of? The cannon,sherrys,crystal rooms all on the same night and the conference centre on the firms xmas do:rolleyes:

the Sussex Yeoman (my friend called the landlord a rude word), The Escape and a gay club (caught going in via the fire exit) and the Argyle (falling asleep on the bar)

Under Kingswest the club was called Revolution. Maybe the club you are thinking of further up towards Hove is Brighton Belle or Pallet Rooms. I can't remember the Electric Grape either.

It’s been a bar or sorts in recent years, like some said it was a shop front type place either next door down or a couple of doors down from what I still call The William Tell (opposite where the club shop used to be)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here