Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nights out in Brighton on the Late 70s - Early 80s

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed, The Queen Anne. downstairs on the right hand side.
If my memory is not playing tricks, there was the "Fraulein" playing the accordian in there. Happy days early to mid 70's.
We used to meet in the Downs Hotel in Woodingdean, get the 45 to The Steine, Pickwick 1st, then up to the Sussex, Onto the Bath Arms, up to The William Tell, down to the Bosun, then onto the Queen Anne.
From there it was either into Sherrys or Jenkinsons if were having a late night, or a last one in the Pickwick before getting the last 45 back to Woodingdean.

The 80's tour on Fridays and Saturdays, for those coming in from the east included:

Shades (Royal Pav Tav), Pump House, Druids Head, Cricketers, Deryk Carver, Ship in Ship St, Queen Anne (Swifts), clubs.

Hennekeys (later Berlin Bar) was later, plus trying out other pubs in the lanes, West Street on the beach.

Culminating in huges volumes of beer and spirits drunk over many years :drink:

Unforgettable days.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Indeed, The Queen Anne. downstairs on the right hand side.
If my memory is not playing tricks, there was the "Fraulein" playing the accordian in there. Happy days early to mid 70's.
We used to meet in the Downs Hotel in Woodingdean, get the 45 to The Steine, Pickwick 1st, then up to the Sussex, Onto the Bath Arms, up to The William Tell, down to the Bosun, then onto the Queen Anne.
From there it was either into Sherrys or Jenkinsons if were having a late night, or a last one in the Pickwick before getting the last 45 back to Woodingdean.

Bosun, oh what fun we (old Bill) had there on a Friday night (pre-football) , in fact all West Street ( mid-'70s)

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
We saw a few gigs there in the early 80's of up and coming bands. It was long and narrow inside, tickets just £2?

Short, early sets by new bands left enough time to go clubbing at Coasters, Suite, Busby's or The Pink Coconut afterwards.

Yes, it was long and narrow, stage at the back. We didn't have any money to go clubbing so usually walked the streets listening out for a party ..... happy days

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The 80's tour on Fridays and Saturdays, for those coming in from the east included:

Shades (Royal Pav Tav), Pump House, Druids Head, Cricketers, Deryk Carver, Ship in Ship St, Queen Anne (Swifts), clubs.

Hennekeys (later Berlin Bar) was later, plus trying out other pubs in the lanes, West Street on the beach.

Unforgettable days.

Blimey, I'd forgotten The Druids, probably the only pub in Brighton without a juke box.
Dont remember Deryk Carver, what was it originally called?
I remember going in the Abinger quite a bit too.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Who remembers the electric grape up queens road ?

Great place, remember it well. It was one of many on our route, including - The Green Dragon, The Richmond, The Albert, The Prince George, Sussex Yeoman, The Belvedere, The Quadrant, The Alhambra, Becketts, Subterfuge and anywhere with a decent band on. Interesting to see the majority on this thread going to all the places we weren't, surely would have passed many of you around town back in the day.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave

Unforgettable days.

Would of been in those places at the same time as you mate. I'd throw in The Sussex too. Swifts was good for keeping your eye on the queues & deciding how many should go & get a feel for what mood the bouncers were in at Sherry's / Pink Coconut. (Known to us a the Red Mango, or Mango's). Many a time ended up in the Suite cos it was the only place that would let us in.

Bouncers were, & probably still are, knob-ends.

I went to three or four gigs a week too. I was working at the Alliance in the summer of '77 - took home about £32-40 a week (depending how much overtime I did), gave £7 to my dad for keep and the rest was spending money. I was out pretty much every night and there was so much going on. There were quite a few punk gigs where there was trouble. Saw Sham 69 a few times and there was always a barney there and there was a notorious Clash gig at Crawley with a full-scale punch-up.

Don't listen to punk music now but I am 59 this year so that's not surprising

The clash in crawley was a great night,skins,punks,brighton,croydon, crawley and outside smoothies afterwards:rolleyes:
Suicide in support and the singer got punched on stage:lolol:

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove

Unforgettable days.

v similar evenings, early 80s, clubs = savannah, basement, brighton belle, that place on montpelier road, hungry years (sometimes) and the daddy= the escape

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Would of been in those places at the same time as you mate. I'd throw in The Sussex too. Swifts was good for keeping your eye on the queues & deciding how many should go & get a feel for what mood the bouncers were in at Sherry's / Pink Coconut. (Known to us a the Red Mango, or Mango's). Many a time ended up in the Suite cos it was the only place that would let us in.

Bouncers were, & probably still are, knob-ends.
Yep count me in as this was similar to the agenda we followed. I’m 61 now by the way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here