Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nights out in Brighton on the Late 70s - Early 80s

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
A nostalgia thread.

Me and the 'boys' used to meet up most Fridays and also some Saturdays to discuss topics current and partake of ale and fine wine.

Now we had a set route as a form of tradition.

This is as follows:

The Volunteer
Shades
The Sussex
The Druids Head
The Deryck Carver
Hennekeys
Busbys or Pink Coconut.

Question were you a face around the pubs in those days - what tales do you have of these extablishments.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
A little later than you (1983-1988) but an almost identical pilgrimage, sans The Volunteer. I wonder why that seemed to be the route? I guess it made sense if you could struggle to West St with 7-8 pints, you were fit for the night. Every now and again, we'd slip in The Cricketers, The Bath Arms or The Pump House and frequent Coasters on the Friday night.

The Pink Coconut was off limits for a while after a lairy mate of mine abused a bar maid and the group of us got a good slapping from the bouncers. They were very smart and picked us off one by one, dragging us into the amusements next door and getting a good hiding before being "exited" on to West St.

Every Group (Casuals, Heavy Metal, Punks, etc) definitely had their pub crawl and they never seemed to intersect.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
aah, the Pump house, Bath Arms and what was that other one oh yes, the Golden Fleece.

Anad here is one i forgot to mention...The Old Vic..Punch-up Pleasuredome.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
A little later than you (1983-1988) but an almost identical pilgrimage, sans The Volunteer. I wonder why that seemed to be the route? I guess it made sense if you could struggle to West St with 7-8 pints, you were fit for the night. Every now and again, we'd slip in The Cricketers, The Bath Arms or The Pump House and frequent Coasters on the Friday night.

The Pink Coconut was off limits for a while after a lairy mate of mine abused a bar maid and the group of us got a good slapping from the bouncers. They were very smart and picked us off one by one, dragging us into the amusements next door and getting a good hiding before being "exited" on to West St.

Every Group (Casuals, Heavy Metal, Punks, etc) definitely had their pub crawl and they never seemed to intersect.

We used to meet there as it was easier to find and connest with said group. The other places were shoulder to shoulder heaving...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No pub crawls for us , only one place to be - The William Tell on a Friday and Saturday night with Jonny Diamond as the DJ (he used to do the Cliftonville on a Sunday evening) and then headed down to Night Fever.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
A nostalgia thread.

Me and the 'boys' used to meet up most Fridays and also some Saturdays to discuss topics current and partake of ale and fine wine.

Now we had a set route as a form of tradition.

This is as follows:

The Volunteer
Shades
The Sussex
The Druids Head
The Deryck Carver
Hennekeys
Busbys or Pink Coconut.

Question were you a face around the pubs in those days - what tales do you have of these extablishments.
what about jenkinsons , the suite , sherries ? they were late 70s early 80s,before it was busbs and pink coconut. smugglers ?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
and the Sea House, bottom of Ship St(?) for a Southern comfort before staggering for the last bus?

PG

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Meet at the William iV - Church Street
On to Shades
Up to The Sussex
Up to Derek Carver
on To Heneckeys
on to Papa Jenks or Sherry's

Happy days

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Hungry Years, but only the once

King and Queen and Shades mostly and I had the misfortune to work in Jenkinson's briefly

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here