Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nights out in Brighton on the Late 70s - Early 80s

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Top Rank - wasn't that the awful Phil Leppard? (nick named Phil Leppar by us, due to his out of touch music often, a naff moustache, twice as old as the patrons, and wouldn't play requests due to his intransigence overt his music choices...i.e. Rock the Boat, years after it was popular).

If my memory serves me right in the early days of the "Suite" Annie Nightingale DJed down there.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
If my memory serves me right in the early days of the "Suite" Annie Nightingale DJed down there.

annie nightingale spent many nights in the windmill (upper western road?) often with that fella from primal scream, so yes you're prob correct

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Great place, remember it well. It was one of many on our route, including - The Green Dragon, The Richmond, The Albert, The Prince George, Sussex Yeoman, The Belvedere, The Quadrant, The Alhambra, Becketts, Subterfuge and anywhere with a decent band on. Interesting to see the majority on this thread going to all the places we weren't, surely would have passed many of you around town back in the day.

Introduced to The Electric Grape in Queens Road, when only about 17 years old, by older friends. A tiny place. Played brilliant music by The The, Altered Images, early OMD, Josef K, Cocteau Twins, synth pop. Ice cold bottled lagers. Pretty new wave female clientele.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Birds Nest in the week...anybody remember that.... then the Suite on Saturday. How about Cinderella's at Hickstead. Met my wife there, not that I knew too much about it.

Fun days.

Remember the phones on the tables in the Birds Nest

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Birds Nest in the week...anybody remember that.... then the Suite on Saturday. How about Cinderella's at Hickstead. Met my wife there, not that I knew too much about it.

Fun days.

Older mates used to go to Cinderella's at Stroods Motel in the 70's,

By the time we went, for the rare night outside Brighton, it was called The Dance Factory in the mid 80's. It always ended in violence with the horrible sound of smashing pint glasses. Crawley and Redhill entitely lacked clubs then, so it drew the wrong crowd. It culminated in bouncers murdering a thug, so it was closed down.

Is it now the site of the Friday Ad business!

Sited on the old London Road, all the punters turned left or right to drink drive home in those days?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here