Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roughest Pubs in Brighton

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Preston Brewery Tap is possibly the shittest pub in the world.

Possibly. But it's OUR shittest pub in the world.

Matchday pub of choice. Until the changing of the guard a week ago last Tuesday, it had Sky sports, tables set up for most pub games including shove ha'penny, pool, darts and bar billiards, you could bellow Albion songs to your heart's content, the bar staff were top people. Certainly a more welcoming venue than the always-snotty Crown & Anchor. OK, the draught beer was a bit SMELLY, but you could always stick to the bottled beer, and at least you got served, unlike that piece of queue-hell crap that calls itself The Sportsman.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Brewery tap, is brilliant, haven't been down there since the new owner...but try and beat me on that dart board.:glare:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I used to live nextdoor to the Spreadeagle and was always sad that I lived nextdoor to a pub that I never wanted to drink in. Having said that we never had any trouble or disturbances from there. The one time I did brave it there was some darts tournament going on so nobody gave me the time of day, certainly didn't fancy a return visit however.

So why has it closed? Does ANYONE know?

What was the Round Georges on Sutherland Road formerly known as?

That used to be my local at one point and the first landlord I knew there said before they took it over it was an absolute dive of the shittest order.

Glitter glued to all the flat surfaces in the bogs, thoughtless bastards.

Also, not very far from there, on Freshfield Road, was the Cuthbert which I always thought looked pretty minging. However that got done up (rather shoddily it has to be said) back in February and is now called Hemingways which has always been pleasant when I've had occasion to use it. Never went in when it was the Cuthbert but it certainly wasn't inviting.

And so to Hanover where I'd suggest the Horse and Groom isn't the nicest boozer in town. Pretty grubby and downmarket, but then it has a lot of competition in the area so it may just look shoddy in comparison to so many nice pubs it shares its 'hood with.

The Wellington on Elm Grove is fairly scruffy but does have Old Rosie on tap and I've drunk in there quite a few times without ever feeling worried.

Anyone know the I Go Inn on Rock Street, opposite The Rock? That place is f***ing shit and I should imagine it has some pretty rough locals.

Also, what's the Devonshire Arms like, up behind Amex? Always struck me as looking pretty shithouse but I can't say I've ever ventured in to experience it first hand.

Lastly, not a rough pub at all, but does anyone know why The Dragon at the end of St Georges Road in Kemptown is closed?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I used to live nextdoor to the Spreadeagle and was always sad that I lived nextdoor to a pub that I never wanted to drink in. Having said that we never had any trouble or disturbances from there. The one time I did brave it there was some darts tournament going on so nobody gave me the time of day, certainly didn't fancy a return visit however.

So why has it closed? Does ANYONE know?

What was the Round Georges on Sutherland Road formerly known as?

That used to be my local at one point and the first landlord I knew there said before they took it over it was an absolute dive of the shittest order.

Glitter glued to all the flat surfaces in the bogs, thoughtless bastards.

Also, not very far from there, on Freshfield Road, was the Cuthbert which I always thought looked pretty minging. However that got done up (rather shoddily it has to be said) back in February and is now called Hemingways which has always been pleasant when I've had occasion to use it. Never went in when it was the Cuthbert but it certainly wasn't inviting.

And so to Hanover where I'd suggest the Horse and Groom isn't the nicest boozer in town. Pretty grubby and downmarket, but then it has a lot of competition in the area so it may just look shoddy in comparison to so many nice pubs it shares its 'hood with.

The Wellington on Elm Grove is fairly scruffy but does have Old Rosie on tap and I've drunk in there quite a few times without ever feeling worried.

Anyone know the I Go Inn on Rock Street, opposite The Rock? That place is f***ing shit and I should imagine it has some pretty rough locals.

Also, what's the Devonshire Arms like, up behind Amex? Always struck me as looking pretty shithouse but I can't say I've ever ventured in to experience it first hand.

Lastly, not a rough pub at all, but does anyone know why The Dragon at the end of St Georges Road in Kemptown is closed?

Dont know mate, was a brilliant pub for Rangers games.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

not too bad a 'locals pub' mainly older people drink in there. does fantastic food (saying that not been there for 9mths/a year)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The Whitehawk Inn was an evil place. I know a bloke who got slashed in the face with a pair of scissors. He was 14 and the slasher was female!

I also heard a cracking yarn about the landlord in The Whitehawk Inn closing up and noticing that the Jukebox had been nicked. He got a call from the Chinese takeaway up the road about half an hour later. Some punters were still waiting for some of their selections to come on, so they had unplugged the jukebox, taken it to the Chinese and plugged it in up there.

The other pub in the 'hawk was The Clyde. That shut down just after the Whitehawk Inn. There was a story I heard about that place. Apparently there was a major ruck in there one night and someone threw a pool ball at someone. It hit him so hard that it rebounded off his head and lodged into the ceiling where it remained until it closed down.

Another rough old joint more recently was the Spread Eagle. That shut down about two months ago. Anyone know why?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

I saw a major ruck in there at the beginning of the nineties - pool cues, the lot. I have never run so fast in my entire life.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Even in the days when it was the Royal George, the Junction was desperately shyte. But if possible, it got worse. My last experience of it was at Burgess Hill bonfire night a few years back. As the going home bus was picking us up from the Junction, a group of us wandered in after the fireworks and were greeted by the customary mayhem and as we stood at the bar getting a drink Lord B had the following, quite bizarre conversation:

Bloke at Bar: What you dressed up as?
Lord B: Valencians
Bloke at Bar: No you isn't. Because I from Valencia and we never dress like this!

At which point the conversation was cut short by an incident involving several glasses and a great deal of blood. Not that this bothered the bouncers or the bleeders.

Gotta be some mistake? I've been to some pretty nasty pubs in my time and not liked many of them, but the junction is quality!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Many years ago there was The Ship on the Lewes Road, not far from the Royal Hussar, closed by police more times than I can remember.
Shut for years, now opened as a religious centre for the college next door I believe.
Had my first pint there:drink:

They used to have strippers there on a saturday lunchtime. Often arrived late at the Goldstone during the early eighties.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Ive prob missed somebody saying it but The White Admiral in bevendean!! it was so rough during heavy rain pirates would drink their in large groups of up to 2 pirates. fooking shyte hole,nice wallpaper tho :drink:

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I remember The Whitehawk Inn fondly. The locals with tattoos, scars, broken teeth, dripping in gold, with Staffies on leads, swearing like troopers and spoiling for a fight. Some of the blokes looked tough as well :rolleyes:

macky

Dec 28, 2004
The Whitehawk Inn was an evil place. I know a bloke who got slashed in the face with a pair of scissors. He was 14 and the slasher was female!

I also heard a cracking yarn about the landlord in The Whitehawk Inn closing up and noticing that the Jukebox had been nicked. He got a call from the Chinese takeaway up the road about half an hour later. Some punters were still waiting for some of their selections to come on, so they had unplugged the jukebox, taken it to the Chinese and plugged it in up there.

The other pub in the 'hawk was The Clyde. That shut down just after the Whitehawk Inn. There was a story I heard about that place. Apparently there was a major ruck in there one night and someone threw a pool ball at someone. It hit him so hard that it rebounded off his head and lodged into the ceiling where it remained until it closed down.

Another rough old joint more recently was the Spread Eagle. That shut down about two months ago. Anyone know why?
lol good old days i know th man who took the jukebox that night

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Ive prob missed somebody saying it but The White Admiral in bevendean!! it was so rough during heavy rain pirates would drink their in large groups of up to 2 pirates. fooking shyte hole,nice wallpaper tho :drink:

Got flooded out in a rainstorm, demolished and two blocks of low rise flats in a scandinavian stylee were built on the site :eek:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here