Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roughest Pubs in Brighton

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Anyone who thinks the Hikers is rough should stick to wine bars - it's about as rough as a creche. As Buzzer and Freddie G have said, it's a decent local boozer - and a good Albion one too. It's my local and there's never trouble there.

The Bevendean was all right too. That used to be my local when I was growing and there was never trouble there - great for buying knock-off gear.

Someone said earlier that Brighton doesn't really have rough pubs and I think that's about right. I've been in pubs in London, Liverpool, Leeds and Glasgow when I was sure whether I'd get out alive: I can't think of any in Brighton that fit that description.

Best not tell that to the guys family who was shot in the bonce in the wick a few years back :rolleyes:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The one on Church Rd Hove, just along from the Albion; by far the worst I've been in down Brighton & Hove way. (I think it's the Seafield or something.)

None can compare to some I've been to in Liverpool or parts of London.

levirocks

Jul 1, 2010
The Whitehawk Inn was an evil place. I know a bloke who got slashed in the face with a pair of scissors. He was 14 and the slasher was female!

I also heard a cracking yarn about the landlord in The Whitehawk Inn closing up and noticing that the Jukebox had been nicked. He got a call from the Chinese takeaway up the road about half an hour later. Some punters were still waiting for some of their selections to come on, so they had unplugged the jukebox, taken it to the Chinese and plugged it in up there.

The other pub in the 'hawk was The Clyde. That shut down just after the Whitehawk Inn. There was a story I heard about that place. Apparently there was a major ruck in there one night and someone threw a pool ball at someone. It hit him so hard that it rebounded off his head and lodged into the ceiling where it remained until it closed down.

Another rough old joint more recently was the Spread Eagle. That shut down about two months ago. Anyone know why?

Both Stories are true. I was there!!!!

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;2633878 said:
What was the one along from the Uncle Sams in Patcham... was it the Schooner? Jesus what a shit-pit, sorta place they'd be mopping up blood and teeth come closing time.

The Snipe.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
The Clyde & The Whitehawk were usually fun to be in.

Hikers, Snipe were interesting too.

The Red Lion was mostly boring rather than rough and most of the pubs around Queens Park had their moments dependent on who was in at the time!!

Boro BN1

Dec 18, 2015
I know some people have asked if social clubs count but the roughest place I've been in was Alan Minter's dad's place in a basement on Waterloo Street circa 1985. It was called the Linden Club.

It was the only place you could get a drink in the afternoon before all day drinking came in. I was in there one night with the lass I was living with and a crazy women we knew asked us if we could look after her baby whilst she popped out for a packet of fags. It took us 3 days to find her after searching all the dives of Brighton before we found her again rat-arsed.

I was 22 and my girlfriend was only 18. We didn't know one end of a baby from another but had to learn quickly how to feed it and change its nappy.

The Abbey Hotel was rough then also. It was full of dossers and the only place you could get alcohol to carry out all night

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I know some people have asked if social clubs count but the roughest place I've been in was Alan Minter's dad's place in a basement on Waterloo Street circa 1985. It was called the Linden Club.

It was the only place you could get a drink in the afternoon before all day drinking came in. I was in there one night with the lass I was living with and a crazy women we knew asked us if we could look after her baby whilst she popped out for a packet of fags. It took us 3 days to find her after searching all the dives of Brighton before we found her again rat-arsed.

I was 22 and my girlfriend was only 18. We didn't know one end of a baby from another but had to learn quickly how to feed it and change its nappy.

The Abbey Hotel was rough then also. It was full of dossers and the only place you could get alcohol to carry out all night

Sid Minter ... generally sided by a couple of 6'6" fellas in suits made for someone of 5'6"

My mate (ex publican) got tip off that we could get a lorry load of Scotch at £1 a bottle (10,000 of em) and we went down to Linden and "sold" them to Sid. He then treated us to free booze, grub and everything the Linden could offer but with a warning that if we were pissing him around then beware

The booze never showed up and I got out of town for a year or two :)

[MENTION=3649]hitony[/MENTION] and I have chatted about this before ... if you weren't there you never really grew up!

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Looks as if it's closing down.

How many of these estate pubs remain.

It is getting very difficult for estate pubs and out of town pubs to survive these days because they need to become more than just pubs.

The Bevvy is a great example that pubs can survive and is leading by example because it is all about becoming a hub of the community and not just a watering hole.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Thank heavens those pubs are still existing. If not, who would look out for the social welfare of babies?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here