Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roughest Pubs in Brighton

I used to like the Spreadmobile the beat up old transit they would use to transport alkies about in. The Spread was alright had many a good laugh in there.

Any idea why it has closed? I walked pat it a few weeks back and it seemed like it was open, it must have closed very recently.

Never went in there, it's the sort of pub I would only go in if I knew someone in there.

A bit like the Lion and Unicorn (The Blue House), I went in there a few times and have a good laugh, but I always felt ok because I knew people in there.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The Franklin
The Wellington
The Bugle
The Victory
The Railway Bell
Grand Central
The Albion
The Market
The Montpelier

This is easy!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Does anybody remember when it was the Berlin Bar. I was just 16 when I went in there but it had a bit of a dodgy atmosphere.

every scrote in brighton used to pitch up in there. was THE place for a time late eighties/early nineties after it changed from hennnekys. that or smugglers for lads of a certain age. a kind of honey club of that time, if you youngsters need a comparison.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Oh, the Martha Gunn and
The Victoria.

Wouldn't describe the Hub as a hole though, reasonably friendly studenty bar.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The Bugle isn't rough.

You didn't see the looks I got last time I went in there. I suppose it's not rough but they don't take kindly to folks from the other side of Lewes Road or the other side of Upper Lewes Road, which doesn't leave much!

Jan 14, 2008
Windsor ontario
I went in the whitslestop once for a quick pint whilst waiting for a cab, and a fight kicked off, and the next think I know somebodys let of some CS gas, and I can't breath and my eyes are burning !!!

The Maytree had some loons from the knoll estate in there...always trouble in there

The nightingale .....outside brighton station ( not sure what its called now) was always known for trouble

Last edited:

every scrote in brighton used to pitch up in there. was THE place for a time late eighties/early nineties after it changed from hennnekys. that or smugglers for lads of a certain age. a kind of honey club of that time, if you youngsters need a comparison.

I thought Smugglers was at the back of West Street?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The Junction in Burgess Hill. My sister used to go in there because she was mates with all the loons and they used to have regular lock ins where the entertainment was provided by a bouncer swinging his chainsaw around.

junction isnt too bad now - been in their a couple of times recently, and its been a decent experience each time. plus they have dirt cheap scrumpy

hINTED ABOVE ALREADY BUT in my early years of drinking in the mid 70's -though I was already aware of their reputations before that time - but the pubs outside the station, to the Queens Head and a couple of the clubs above the shops along Queens Road were certainly very dodgy and on a Friday night after the navvies picked up their wages,were always a laugh if you liked dodging punches and glasses.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You didn't see the looks I got last time I went in there. I suppose it's not rough but they don't take kindly to folks from the other side of Lewes Road or the other side of Upper Lewes Road, which doesn't leave much!
You weren't wearing football colors by any chance were you? The landlord doesn't like football as he's a huge rugby fan. Otherwise as Chappers say, it's probably the friendliest pub in Brighton.

Brilliant place to go as well during the Six Nations, and you'll find me in there on a fair few Sunday afternoons.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You weren't wearing football colors by any chance were you? The landlord doesn't like football as he's a huge rugby fan. Otherwise as Chappers say, it's probably the friendliest pub in Brighton.

Brilliant place to go as well during the Six Nations, and you'll find me in there on a fair few Sunday afternoons.

No, no I wasn't... Maybe because I'm young? Though I'm not THAT young!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
merrymonk in lancing,pretty rough,mind the farmers has taken over for the nutcases,just behind is the threehorseshoes,then the crabtree

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
The spread eagle, just been shut down though.

the Stanmer seems to be fine now, 2 mincers have taken over it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oh, the Martha Gunn and
The Victoria.

Wouldn't describe the Hub as a hole though, reasonably friendly studenty bar.

I've been drinking in the Martha Gunn a fair bit recently. Not the nicest place but the landlord is a decent chap and the locals are alright.

You can always pick certain things up in there too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here