Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car insurance

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
Can anyone recommend a cheap car insurer for a first time driver? I've tried confused.com and comparethemarket and the cheapest I've been quoted was £1,100 (dearest was just under £5,000!)

I'm only 20, so understand that doesn't work in my favour, but I've passed my pass plus. It's not a powerful car either (1.0litre)

Cheers :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was shocked to learn a colleagues son, in a similar position to yourself, was paying that kind of amount.

His 2nd year has just come through at £500.

I guess you have to 'take the hit' for the first year and pray you don't need to claim.

Last edited:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Try MoreThan. I was getting quotes of £1,000 (i'm 21, held license for 3 years) for a 1.25l car but morethan quoted me at just a smidge over £600, which ain't that bad.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
as said before elephant were the cheapest when i was that age (still about £600 tho)

have you tried moneysupermarket.com as a comparison site.

Also may be worth checking if the insurer you go with has a cash back site (basically get an account, click through their banner to the insurers, buy insurance and get money back) worth a look http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Give Paul Scully a ring in Peacehaven. Very helpful company.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
When I were a freshly passed 17 year old motorist in my pride and joy - a 1.3l MG Metro - I was paying £800 a year through Co-operative Insurance.

Ten years on I pay less than £300 a year for my far speedier motor through elephant.co.uk

Unfortunately I don't think there's any definitive answer, you just have to compare the market (dot com) as it will always vary

Good luck getting a lower quote than you've found so far

Jul 5, 2003
Have you tried moneysupermarket.com?
They easily beat others for my daughter's quotes last week. She has 1.2 Punto and is 21. Best quote came out at £480 ish.
Genarally male quotes are quite a bit more than for females though due to number of claims made.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Get your Dad to insure the car with you as a named driver but make sure it's a company that allows named drivers to build up a no claims bonus. I know Directline do this but there are others out there!!

Budget Insurance are always good price wise (hence the name, I suppose)

Been with them last two years now, heard they're meant to be pretty shite customer service wise but always been helpful to me when I've had to call in etc

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
If it is that expensive you may have to ask yourself "Shall I risk it and just go 3rd Party?)

At that price it may be TPFT anyway!

Advice to all male drivers under 21, if your car is worth less than £1500 do NOT bother getting fully comp insurance, you're excess will be at least £500 and will cost you well over a grand extra in premiums over the next 3 years if you claim so save some money up front and go tpft

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Car Insurance | Compare Cheap Car Insurance Quotes | Go Compare

My advice - go third party only.

Just be really really careful when you're out there....

I wouldn't unless you have a really cheap car that you arn't worried about recovering any money for if in an accident, even if it was not your fault.

With Third party policies, you need the legal cover, which any claim would go through, but they are not insurers, and it is very diificult to get claims settled.

I was with Elephant, third party, fire and theft, and found them to be dreadful when it comes to dealing with claims. The may be cheap, but they have been completely useless - and i am currently escalating a complaint to the FSA about how long it has taken, and their inaction for long periods of time to actually resolve my claim

I have an ongoing claim from mid November '07 that was on a third party policy, my car was parked up legally for the night when hit by another car, the driver who abandoned their car and fled, but the police caught up with them.

They were insured and therefore their insurance company would have to settle my claim. It is still unresolved to this date despite being told in July by the other drivers insurance party that they would issue the cheque, (and collect my car, which was a write-off, which they did in July) yet still no cheque and they are trying to now get out of paying out on it any way they can - something my insurance company seems happy to accept rather than fight for what i am rightly entitled to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here