Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can Hamsters live in the wild if set free

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I had 3 Hamsters as a kid and probably best illustrates why I don’t now own any pets. The first died of old age which was no more than 3 years but then things started to get worse. The 2nd committed suicide. After escaping from its cage it decided to go base jumping from a small gap between the banisters at the top of the stairs. Without a parachute, Hamy broke its neck on landing disturbing my Dads viewing of Panorama in the lounge. After many tears I was bought a 3rd. This also had escapist tendencies. After the break out from its cage it celebrated freedom with our cat who promptly ate it.

In answer to the original question, Hamsters have no chance in the wild. Our cat at the time hadn’t caught anything for years and struggled to make it up the stairs. Our trusting Hamster was its last ever catch before it died of old age. If Miffy could catch a Hamster if would certainly struggle as other posters suggest to make our first team. Our third hamster would definitely be done by Kerry Mayo for pace. Personally, I think a Labrador would be our best bet to inject a bit of energy or even the Withdean Squirrel from a few seasons back.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The problem with signing up any rodent for the Albion is that they lack any sort of BALL control.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
The problem with signing up any rodent for the Albion is that they lack any sort of BALL control.

Maybe but a Labrador would have the ability to unsettle a short passing game. It would also be a hit with the crowd and its head wouldn’t go down when the collective groan goes around the stadium when he lets it out for a throw in.

I’ll grant you positional sense and ball control would be an issue but we’ve had that problem in our midfield for years anyway.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Is it the kind of Hamster who could BOSS the middle of the park though? Maybe it's got an eye for goal? If so, why not use it as an IMPACT RODENT & haul Murray off with 20 mins to go?!! Oi, Vulture! What's the lil' critter's name - so we can get a chant going? :clap:

Timmy :yahoo:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe but a Labrador would have the ability to unsettle a short passing game. It would also be a hit with the crowd and its head wouldn’t go down when the collective groan goes around the stadium when he lets it out for a throw in.

I’ll grant you positional sense and ball control would be an issue but we’ve had that problem in our midfield for years anyway.
I can't help thinking a cat is the solution to our problems. It would probably gently and elegantly direct operations from midfield, a sort of Hargreaves kind of player. Also it could go up front for corners - we could throw it 20 feet in the air where it could NUT the ball with aplomb before landing perfectly on its feet.

Plus if any of opponents field a rodent even as big as a squirrel, our cat could eat it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I had 3 Hamsters as a kid and probably best illustrates why I don’t now own any pets. The first died of old age which was no more than 3 years but then things started to get worse. The 2nd committed suicide. After escaping from its cage it decided to go base jumping from a small gap between the banisters at the top of the stairs. Without a parachute, Hamy broke its neck on landing disturbing my Dads viewing of Panorama in the lounge. After many tears I was bought a 3rd. This also had escapist tendencies. After the break out from its cage it celebrated freedom with our cat who promptly ate it.

In answer to the original question, Hamsters have no chance in the wild. Our cat at the time hadn’t caught anything for years and struggled to make it up the stairs. Our trusting Hamster was its last ever catch before it died of old age. If Miffy could catch a Hamster if would certainly struggle as other posters suggest to make our first team. Our third hamster would definitely be done by Kerry Mayo for pace. Personally, I think a Labrador would be our best bet to inject a bit of energy or even the Withdean Squirrel from a few seasons back.

Funniest thing on NSC for weeks.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Strange seeing some of them posters who are not active anymore.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Strange seeing some of them posters who are not active anymore.

What the hell made you pick this random thread to bounce?! True though, BOF just disappeared after being a regular for year s
and a good poster.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'd like to just say hello to all those who are reading this in 2028.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Hamsters have this fascination for wheels and they can spend most of their day going round and round.

Unfortunately in the wild this can prove fatal. Suffering withdrawal symptoms, they will often head for a main road, where they can take one last circuit stuck to a car wheel.

A nice thought to start the day - ta.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It is likely to be beaten up by a gang of field mice if let free.
Do try to ignore kids please for pets, this is a prime example why.
If it is very depressed you could try accidentally treading on it, in the same way I accidentally flicked the head of my daughter's lonely half blind goldfish that was wasting 50 litres of water every 3 months. My water bill had now reduced dramatically.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I don't agree with Mink farming but the idiots who let them out have caused many of our mamals to be whiped out which affects the food chain.
Whoever brought grey squirrels to the uk are responsible for the demise of red Squirrels.
Also Our pet cats kill over 1million garden birds.
We need to look after our environment as we are causing wild life to suffer.
Even bees need water and are suffering from our heatwave.
We need to plant more Wilde meadows and Trees as we build more houses and improve recycling. This is common sense and I not a raving green just concerned about my planet.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Don’t flush them down the toilet because they can breed in the sewers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here