Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cliff Richard reveals his live-in "companion"

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
:love:Least surprising news of the week: Sir Cliff has a crying, talking, sleeping, walking, Catholic priest as his...er...."close friend"

cliff-richard-john-_800648c.jpg

Sir Cliff Richard has spoken for the first time of his close friendship with a former Roman Catholic priest he calls his "companion" and "blessing".

In a new autobiography, the singer and well-known Christian says he shares a home with Father John McElynn, an American former missionary he met on a trip to New York seven years ago.

Sir Cliff, 67, also says he twice considered marrying, first to the singer Jackie Irving and secondly to Sue Barker, and writes of his support for same-sex civil partnerships.

While stressing that "sex is not one of the things that drives me" he also tells of his seduction by Carol Costa, who at the time was the estranged wife of Jet Harris of The Shadows.

He also writes that he is "sick to death" of speculation in the media about his sexuality.

In My Life, My Way, Sir Cliff says that soon after they met, Father McElynn accepted an offer for him to help with the singer's charitable projects.

He writes: "That was seven years ago and our arrangement has worked out really well. John now spends most of his time looking after my properties, which means I don't have to."

The singer adds: "John and I have over time struck up a close friendship. He has also become a companion, which is great because I don't like living alone, even now.

"People often make the mistake of thinking that only marriage equals happiness. I may suddenly meet someone and feel differently, but right now I am not sure marriage would enhance my happiness."

According to the Daily Express, Sir Cliff also says he is tired of speculation about his sexuality, declaring: "What business is it of anyone else's what any of us are as individuals? I don't think my fans would care either way."

He also calls on the church to accept same sex marriages, saying the days when it was assumed loving relationships could only be between men and women are gone.

He writes: "In the end, I believe, people are going to be judged for what they are. It seems to me that commitment is the issue, and if anyone comes to me and says: 'This is my partner – we are committed to each other,' then I don't care what their sexuality is. I'm not going to judge – I'll leave that to God."

Talking of his former girlfriends, he describes Jackie Irving, who he met in Blackpool, as "utterly beautiful" and says for a time they were "inseparable".

In 1982, he met Sue Barker, the former tennis star and current BBC television presenter. He writes: "I seriously contemplated asking her to marry me, but in the end I realised that I didn't love her quite enough to commit the rest of my life to her."

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
But if he was...let's say hypothetically...having it away with a priest (try not to think about that image), wouldn't that sort of cancel out the ticket to hell?
???

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Companion ! My arse, and a ex-Cathloic priest, superb, you could not make it up.

Any man who turns down Sue Barker (20 years ago) must be gay. She could play with my (tennis) balls any day.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Used to work with a girl many years ago who had a pathological hatred of Sir Cliff. I mean the sort of vitriol that most people reserve for Anthea Turner. Not greatly surprised that Cliff seems to have confirmed the long held suspicion that he is in the words of Rowan Atkinson "a gay Christian" but Anth eh? What an absolute
%$*!

Feel better for having got that off my chest. Thank you.

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
Used to work with a girl many years ago who had a pathological hatred of Sir Cliff. I mean the sort of vitriol that most people reserve for Anthea Turner. Not greatly surprised that Cliff seems to have confirmed the long held suspicion that he is in the words of Rowan Atkinson "a gay Christian" but Anth eh? What an absolute
%$*!

Feel better for having got that off my chest. Thank you.

cheers for that

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Companion ! My arse, and a ex-Cathloic priest, superb, you could not make it up.

Any man who turns down Sue Barker (20 years ago) must be gay. She could play with my (tennis) balls any day.

Perhaps that's why he's an EX priest. Maybe he decided his lifestyle wasn't quite compatible with the Vatican rules.

What charities does Cliff Richard run anyway, that his companion helps so much with??

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I suppose its a novel way of "getting closer " to God ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh gosh, just noticed they are wearing matching specs..... his'n hers ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
...and similar adidas shirts...from the Cliff At Wimbledon line, perhaps?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hang on.... the "receiver" does look like a slightly fatter clone of Sir Harry Webb... could he have been grown from one of his own stem cells perchance ?

That way a God fearing christian can say he's still a virgin ?.... " I only have sex with myself " :angel:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm happy for him........as long as he doesn't release any more music

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
So, Cliff Richard might be a poof.

*fallsoffchairinshock*

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Bears also revealed to defecate in forested areas while the Pope confesses to a liking for attending Mass.......

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fair play to him. I can't remember Sir Cliff ever upsetting me over anything, so I am therefore bereft of any snidey remarks, for now.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I'm happy for him........as long as he doesn't release any more music

Precisely my thought, and if his friend can keep him away from impromptu performances at Wimbledon then it can't be a bad thing, good luck to em.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Fair play to him. I can't remember Sir Cliff ever upsetting me over anything, so I am therefore bereft of any snidey remarks, for now.

Yeah, well he told me he thinks you smell.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
is it just me or does the does Cliff look just like the priest would should he have have a run-in with a life force draining alien creature a-la Red Dwarf. (asde from the hair)

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I wonder if Sir Clifford's live-in 'friend' tells everybody he loves STIFF PILCHARDS??!

No. Maybe not then. :down:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here