Please help support NSC by buying from Amazon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cliff Richard reveals his live-in "companion"

Cliff Richard reveals his live-in "companion"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Least surprising news of the week: Sir Cliff has a crying, talking, sleeping, walking, Catholic priest as his...er...."close friend"

Sir Cliff Richard has spoken for the first time of his close friendship with a former Roman Catholic priest he calls his "companion" and "blessing".

In a new autobiography, the singer and well-known Christian says he shares a home with Father John McElynn, an American former missionary he met on a trip to New York seven years ago.

Sir Cliff, 67, also says he twice considered marrying, first to the singer Jackie Irving and secondly to Sue Barker, and writes of his support for same-sex civil partnerships.

While stressing that "sex is not one of the things that drives me" he also tells of his seduction by Carol Costa, who at the time was the estranged wife of Jet Harris of The Shadows.

He also writes that he is "sick to death" of speculation in the media about his sexuality.

In My Life, My Way, Sir Cliff says that soon after they met, Father McElynn accepted an offer for him to help with the singer's charitable projects.

He writes: "That was seven years ago and our arrangement has worked out really well. John now spends most of his time looking after my properties, which means I don't have to."

The singer adds: "John and I have over time struck up a close friendship. He has also become a companion, which is great because I don't like living alone, even now.

"People often make the mistake of thinking that only marriage equals happiness. I may suddenly meet someone and feel differently, but right now I am not sure marriage would enhance my happiness."

According to the Daily Express, Sir Cliff also says he is tired of speculation about his sexuality, declaring: "What business is it of anyone else's what any of us are as individuals? I don't think my fans would care either way."

He also calls on the church to accept same sex marriages, saying the days when it was assumed loving relationships could only be between men and women are gone.

He writes: "In the end, I believe, people are going to be judged for what they are. It seems to me that commitment is the issue, and if anyone comes to me and says: 'This is my partner we are committed to each other,' then I don't care what their sexuality is. I'm not going to judge I'll leave that to God."

Talking of his former girlfriends, he describes Jackie Irving, who he met in Blackpool, as "utterly beautiful" and says for a time they were "inseparable".

In 1982, he met Sue Barker, the former tennis star and current BBC television presenter. He writes: "I seriously contemplated asking her to marry me, but in the end I realised that I didn't love her quite enough to commit the rest of my life to her."
    The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

thats him off to Hell then

But if he was...let's say hypothetically...having it away with a priest (try not to think about that image), wouldn't that sort of cancel out the ticket to hell?
    The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.

Registered Twunt

Companion ! My arse, and a ex-Cathloic priest, superb, you could not make it up.

Any man who turns down Sue Barker (20 years ago) must be gay. She could play with my (tennis) balls any day.
    Political analyst, Roy Hobbs, said: "While I'm certain the rise of the Teapot movement will mean the destruction of humanity in a screaming lake of blood, bones and fire, I can't stop ******* over terrifyingly right-wing brunettes.

Used to work with a girl many years ago who had a pathological hatred of Sir Cliff. I mean the sort of vitriol that most people reserve for Anthea Turner. Not greatly surprised that Cliff seems to have confirmed the long held suspicion that he is in the words of Rowan Atkinson "a gay Christian" but Anth eh? What an absolute
    %$*!

Feel better for having got that off my chest. Thank you.
    You should accept your situation. There would be more dignity in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Mays View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Used to work with a girl many years ago who had a pathological hatred of Sir Cliff. I mean the sort of vitriol that most people reserve for Anthea Turner. Not greatly surprised that Cliff seems to have confirmed the long held suspicion that he is in the words of Rowan Atkinson "a gay Christian" but Anth eh? What an absolute
    %$*!

Feel better for having got that off my chest. Thank you.
    cheers for that

Quote Originally Posted by GNF on Tour View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Companion ! My arse, and a ex-Cathloic priest, superb, you could not make it up.

Any man who turns down Sue Barker (20 years ago) must be gay. She could play with my (tennis) balls any day.
    Perhaps that's why he's an EX priest. Maybe he decided his lifestyle wasn't quite compatible with the Vatican rules.

What charities does Cliff Richard run anyway, that his companion helps so much with??

I suppose its a novel way of "getting closer " to God ?
    I had run 17 miles from Grayshades before the school leopard caught me.....

Oh gosh, just noticed they are wearing matching specs..... his'n hers ?

...and similar adidas shirts...from the Cliff At Wimbledon line, perhaps?

Hang on.... the "receiver" does look like a slightly fatter clone of Sir Harry Webb... could he have been grown from one of his own stem cells perchance ?

That way a God fearing christian can say he's still a virgin ?.... " I only have sex with myself "

I'm happy for him........as long as he doesn't release any more music
    Kiss my face

Registered User Bevendean Hillbilly's Avatar

So, Cliff Richard might be a poof.

*fallsoffchairinshock*
    I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill Archer, for what you done to The Seagulls.

Bears also revealed to defecate in forested areas while the Pope confesses to a liking for attending Mass.......

His name rhymes with HEN Easy 10's Avatar

Fair play to him. I can't remember Sir Cliff ever upsetting me over anything, so I am therefore bereft of any snidey remarks, for now.