Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes FC - A disaster waiting to happen

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The Express interview with the directors seems to indicate that they knew a while back that they could barely sustain their level of spending at Conference South level, yet they kept throwing money around knowing that they wouldn't be able to keep it up at Conference level. They could have settled for being a mid to lower table Conference South side but instead they've chosen to spend the money, get promoted and end up playing at a level that they won't be able to compete at. Then they blame Steve King for it all and say they didn't want to go up in the first place. Seems a bit bizarre to me.

that's what happens when fans run the club and forget to put their business hats on:down:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
shows what happens when you spend beyond your means

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
also, if they cant afford to upgrade the dripping pan then they will be RELEGATED next season no matter what - which means there will only be three relegation spots left to be filled from the conference - good news for boro

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Make no mistake, they intend running the club down for prime location property development. There can be absolutely no other reason for shooting themselves in both kneecaps like they are. Money's changed hands, somewhere down the line.

RIP Lewes FC.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Make no mistake, they intend running the club down for prime location property development. There can be absolutely no other reason for shooting themselves in both kneecaps like they are. Money's changed hands, somewhere down the line.

RIP Lewes FC.

Nonsense, they'd never allow housing down there.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Nonsense, they'd never allow housing down there.

Of course they will. They'll run the club into the ground and ignore the petitions. Everything has it's price, as they say. Just watch. Lewes will be playing their matches at Falmer within five years, using the stadium when the Albion aren't. Makes perfect wide-boy economic sense.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Well I did hear that our friendly with them was 5 a side.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
According to the meeting last night there doesnt seem to be any money from backers:thud:

Gareth Barry has never intedned to put any money into Lewes FC. He is backing KKs consortium, and supporting them in their project, but he is not putting any money into it, and never was going to. So I was told by the horses mouth anyway.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
seems to me boro will finnish in the top half and good luck to them.
Perhaps when lewes's ground has been sold and Ringmers too ,perhaps we'll have Ouse Valley United ......................

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But what were Lewes supposed to do ??

They need 100's of £1000's to upgrade their ground, they then need to recruit players that demand anything from £500 - £1000 a week to compete at that level whilst 500-800 paying customers come through their new £15,000 turnstiles.

Numbers cannot add up, never.

what do all the other clubs who get promoted do?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Either go bust and return to their natural footballing level or find a benefactor who will bankroll them for a while, then go bust and return to their natural footballing level !!

So not a single club in the recent history of the Conference has built on what they had before and consolidated without the help of a benefactor?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I admit I am not well versed in Conference football and politics but Eastbourne do not seem to be making similar noises. To me they just want to have a crack at the higher level. is this the case or have I missed something? I imagine it is the latter.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Playing in Newhaven? I'm sure a groundshare with DaSH can be arranged.

Mrs Coach?

I,m sure it could we;ll have to get on to ned and yorkie as thats their patch!must be a A graded stadium by now and in my playing days only have fond memories of winning there for Ringmer rovers 17-2 one game i re-call LOL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here