Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

free travel

Jan 30, 2008
by the way i heard that mayo's old man drove the lewes supporters coach to bognor wednesday night ,will he follow in his fathers footsteps:eek:

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
good idea - let's stop asking the directors if they can keep on stumping up personal money for players, Falmer, Withdean upkeep and get them to lay on some coaches to go to Carlisle.

Dunderhead.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
That is not strictly true, is it? Travel ill be factored into the ticket. If it is free, then I am paying £24.50 per ticket for League One football. Hmmmm....

Good point by Barrel.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
That is not strictly true, is it? Travel ill be factored into the ticket. If it is free, then I am paying £24.50 per ticket for League One football. Hmmmm....

makes it even MORE of a rip off :angry:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

I think Lord B was more talking about the fact that there are lot of old folks in Sussex that get free bus travel. Not sure if they are the albions target demographic though. Maybe if they did a tea dance straight after the match.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think Lord B was more talking about the fact that there are lot of old folks in Sussex that get free bus travel. Not sure if they are the albions target demographic though. Maybe if they did a tea dance straight after the match.

Ah! Still, It is not free as the tax payer is paying something like £24m for all these old codgers. :angry:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Ah! Still, It is not free as the tax payer is paying something like £24m for all these old codgers. :angry:

Those old codgers who have been paying tax ever since they left school and still pay tax on their state pension (the tax allowance doesn't cover the basic state pension)

No I wasn't.

I was talking about the fact that, once you've bought a ticket for the game, you don't have to pay any extra to get to the ground if you live in Brighton, Hove or the surrounding towns.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Those old codgers who have been paying tax ever since they left school and still pay tax on their state pension (the tax allowance doesn't cover the basic state pension)

Tsk. I wasn't being deadly (no pun intended) serious. However, I do think the government have left the local councils high and dry. Particularly somewhere like Worthing.

How is this going to be achieved? Council Tax is at record levels and cuts are being made as it is. Passed onto the public transport consumer?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
No I wasn't.

I was talking about the fact that, once you've bought a ticket for the game, you don't have to pay any extra to get to the ground if you live in Brighton, Hove or the surrounding towns.

Fair enough. Doesn't do anything to get those from Hastings way to come to the albion. Aren't Charlton running coaches from there?

Tsk. I wasn't being deadly (no pun intended) serious. However, I do think the government have left the local councils high and dry. Particularly somewhere like Worthing.

How is this going to be achieved? Council Tax is at record levels and cuts are being made as it is. Passed onto the public transport consumer?

Off-topic, I know - since I'm the one saying that this thread is nothing to do with bus passes - but I'll throw in my opinion, because I was the county council officer responsible for setting up the local bus pass scheme (originally an East Sussex scheme, but a Sussex-wide scheme from the late nineties).

The national free travel scheme for England (which comes into force on 1 April) was introduced by the government basically because the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly had led the way and shown that a national scheme was not only possible, but was affordable and POPULAR.

So we are being given one for England. Quite right.

The scheme is AFFORDABLE. But only if it's administered nationally. The government has been stupid and imposed the duty to fund the scheme on to local councils. Inevitably this fails to iron out the huge variations that occur across England. Some areas have a higher than average number of older people, some have a higher than average number of bus users, some have a higher than average number of visitors. If a local council hits all three buttons with a "higher than average" score, the funding arrangements will stuff them.

If, on the other hand, you are a rural council in Lincolnshire, with hardly any bus users, a younger than average population and no tourists, you are doing rather well out of the funding formula that is being used.

National funding is the answer - but we haven't got an "English government" to do this.

Sadly, what is likely to happen is that funding pressures will lead to cuts in other services provided by the councils under pressure, including cuts in subsidised bus services in areas like Brighton and Hove where the council is responsible for paying for bus passes and subsidising bus routes.

Only the government can sort out this mess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here