Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Warning - Do Not Eat At This Restaurant

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The Yew Tree offers large portions of bloody good food, friendly and efficient service and all at a decent price too.

Buggered if I can remember the name of the village it's in, though.

:shrug:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
English's service is great. How hammy can one get with fish?

Plus... I know I always go on about it, but I always enjoy it - Casa Don Carlos. Just as great for parties as it is for intimacy.

We went there last year for the earlier sitting and where rushed through our meal so the next lot could sit down. Food was ok but the pace of it ruined it for our party.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
GRIPE OF THE DAY AND A WARNING TO ALL NOT TO EAT IN THIS RESTAURANT.

I was in Brighton last week with all of my family to celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary. We planned to have a meal for 10 people and naturally wanted to get somewhere nice and also convenient to other people who would be coming on the day so on the Sunday we decided to try a restaurant called “The Plaza Brasserie” on Kings Road and booked for 10 people.

This had to be the biggest mistake that we have ever made. After waiting for about 30 minutes for the starters to arrive – four of them came out and we were left waiting for a further 15 minutes before some of the other ones arrived – despite asking three different people one of which was the owner. One of the party ordered soup which we were told was carrot and coriander but when it arrived it was literally a tin of chopped tomatoes thrown into a bowl with a bit of fresh coriander thrown in for good measure.

We were again left waiting for the main courses to come out and the steaks that were ordered well done came out raw and again had to be sent back. They were returned literally within a couple of minutes and had without doubt just been chucked into the microwave to finish them off.

Onto the next course and while the desserts came out we were left with no cutlery and again had to ask two people the second of which brought it over to us.

When paying the bill (which I might add was not particularly cheap) I told the waitress who had been serving us that I was not happy with the meal and wanted some form of reduction in the bill. She said I would have to see the owner who was not there at the moment but would be back shortly. Eventually after being ignored for a good half hour (and with the owner standing by the till) I went up myself and argued my case with her and her sidekick who was behind the counter.

I have never come across such an ignorant person and how she could possibly be still in business is beyond me. In the middle of talking to me she suddenly went off to deal with new customers who were coming in the door. I was gobsmacked to say the least and asked the guy behind the counter did she just walk off while I was in the middle of talking to her. He replied that she had gone to see to customers. I replied that I was also a customer and had been in the middle of talking to her.

To finish off the stupid cow reluctantly deducted £10 off the bill which while I was not particularly happy with decided that it was better to take that and get out of the place to concentrate on trying to find a decent restaurant for our anniversary on the Tuesday.

The whole meal had taken over 5 hours. We arrived at 2.00 and left well after 7.00 p.m. and most of that time was spent either waiting for the food to arrive, for cutlery to be brought out to us or disputing the service and the bill with the owner.

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

On the way out there was a couple looking at the outside menu and I took great pleasure in telling them not to go in and the reason why. They were extremely grateful and headed off into the night to look for somewhere else.

On a more positive note we had our anniversary meal at the Badgers Watch in Telscombe Cliffs and I cannot rate this place highly enough. The staff were extremely nice, the food was fabulous and the final bill was quite reasonable. All in all our anniversary was perfect. I am only too happy that we had a trial run on the Sunday though.

The correc t course of action would have been to refuse to pay anything and left your name and address firstly having shown that you had sufficient money/credit card to pay for the meal. It then becomes a civil matter for which the owner must sue you. If you do not have enough money it is obtaining goods by deception. If they want to call the police let them provided you have sufficient money there is nothing that they can do.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
In the middle of talking to me she suddenly went off to deal with new customers who were coming in the door.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but you should have followed her and explained to her new customers exactly what you were complaining about. I think she may have treated your complaint a bit more seriously.

A great shame to have such a special occasion ruined.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Places I've liked in Brighton:

-Al Duomo
-Casa Don Carlos

I know this isn't strictly a restaurant, but may I volunteer a candidate for the worst takeaway in Brighton, possibly the world?

During a particularly long shift one night, a colleague and I wanted to grab something quick, so dropped in to the first chippy we found.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be SoSo on the east side of Lewes Road, near the junction with Coombe Road. I don't think they've decorated since 1971. The till is one of those old things that wouldn't look out of place in Open All Hours, and it's filthy. The food is unspeakable: their chips are clearly oven chips (with added grease), FFS.

Oven chips. In a chippy. And what appear to be Tesco Value fishcakes. I dread to think what the rest of their menu is like.

Worst. Chippy. EVER. Avoid like the plague.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is rather a fine eatery.

I was there on Friday, the chicken tikka kahdari was again fine.

Also I got a Christmas Card from the owner (at Christmas).

Can you park outside? :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Unfortunately, this turned out to be SoSo on the east side of Lewes Road, near the junction with Coombe Road. I don't think they've decorated since 1971.

They haven't. I used to stop off there occasionally when I was walking back to Moulsecoomb in the 70s. I hadn't seen it for a while but now that I live in Coldean, I go past it every day and I'm staggered to see the decor is pretty much the same -although they have changed the facade. I haven't dared go there though.

The Chinese takeaway nearby hasn't even changed its facade since the mid-70s - is Coombe Terrace the land that time forgot or something?

To go back to the main topic: there's a reason why the likes of Terre a Terre, Due South, The Strand, Gingerman etc win so many awards and are featured in so many guides - it's because they're good at what they do. If you want a special night out, go to one of these. I agree with MoH; there are far too many piss-poor restaurants in Brighton - shocking for a town that relies on tourism and conferences.

However, like everyone else, I cast a vote for Casa Don Carlos as the best place for a good meal in Brighton. Not quite first-class, but pretty good scoff and the service is excellent. I also have a soft spot for Kambis: lovely food and exceptionally friendly staff. I see no reason to look beyond these two restaurants for a meal out - with Terre a Terre for those special occasions.

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Update:

My hubby reminded me of something else last night. The ladies toilets were blocked and in danger of overflowing so we were told to use the mens toilets and on a few occasions men went in there at the same time. By the time we were leaving the mens was also starting to block up.

Really wasn't a nice place and yea unfortunately hindsight is a great thing and you always think of things you should have said or done but at the end of the day we look at it as it only being a trial run for the big day and that day went perfectly in all respects.

So on that note I am putting the experience behind me and here's to the next 25 years.

:drunk::drunk::whisky::whisky::drink::drink::cheers::cheers::dance::dance:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I remember going to the Plaza about five years ago on our staff Christmas do and had a good night, mainly because of the amount of alcohol consumed. I do remember it was very expensive and the food was not great but the group we had made the night. Personally, I would not eat there.

Fair play to you though, the Badgers is a top pub with good staff and decent food and a great decking area outside for the summer, so all's well that ends well.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
To go back to the main topic: there's a reason why the likes of Terre a Terre, Due South, The Strand, Gingerman etc win so many awards and are featured in so many guides - it's because they're good at what they do. If you want a special night out, go to one of these. I agree with MoH; there are far too many piss-poor restaurants in Brighton - shocking for a town that relies on tourism and conferences.

don't like the new upholstery in The Gingerman

however I did love the belly pork I had last week. £15 for the set lunch, with wine me and me mum got out of there with change from £50, 'Pizza Express' or similar would have probably cost a tenner or so less at most

no brainer really

eat well, this is not a rehersal

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
The Yew Tree offers large portions of bloody good food, friendly and efficient service and all at a decent price too.

Buggered if I can remember the name of the village it's in, though.

:shrug:

The only Yew Tree I can immediately think of is in Chalvington.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
The only Yew Tree I can immediately think of is in Chalvington.

Confusingly there is also one in almost the Village next door - Arlington!

The food at the Arlington one has been good when we've been there. I've only ever boozed at the Chalvington one (and played football out the back) so can't comment on the grub there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here