Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Warning - Do Not Eat At This Restaurant

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
in future try...The Terraces
Rubbish, I sat and waited 50 minutes for some poxy chicken dish over the summer before telling them to (wait for it) stuff it...it was only then (and once we'd had two glasses of wine) that the dimwitted little waitress told me food had been taking "ages" that day.

Brighton restaurant service is pony, fact.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
To be fair the service in this country is a shambles and as much as some of you may not like the americans (I personally don't have a prob with em) they know
what good service is about, obviously I understand that they expect their 10% tip at the end of the meal/drink etc, but hey they generally deserve it!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
To be fair the service in this country is a shambles and as much as some of you may not like the americans (I personally don't have a prob with em) they know
what good service is about, obviously I understand that they expect their 10% tip at the end of the meal/drink etc, but hey they generally deserve it!

10% tip? If you leave less than 15% in America they run you out of town.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Agree entirely about the US - shame their food is a bit crap. The service at restaurants in France is generally excellent too - it's because waiters there treat their job as a profession; it's not one being done for one month by doppy 18 year olds who've received no training.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
We should turn this into a good restraurant guide.

I like The Thatch in Hassocks and there is a new italian opened in Patcham called Lauro, which does not yet have a licence so you can take your own alcohol. If you prefer there is a Threshers a couple of shops away so you can nip in there and get what you want. The food is not cheap but when you supply your own drink it does make the bill cheaper :laugh::laugh:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Brighton restaurant service is pony, fact.

Not all.

English's service is excellent ( trouble is you can only afford to eat there once a blue moon). The Mexicxan place next to the Theater Royal is excellent as is Al Duomo's. In Hove, Orsino's is probably my favourite.

Although in Sussex, you have to go a long way to beat the Royal Oak in Poynings

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Following on from Buzzer's suggestion :-

http://www.brighton-eating.com/12219.htm

Seems like you are not the first to feel that way.

funny how all the positve reviews make great compliments of the music. sounds like if you want to have a meal slightly more upmarket than a Yates, more interested in getting bladdered and staying there for the whole evening, so dont care about how long service takes, then maybe its a good place.

on the other hand, the positive review are blatant plants too, so its probably shit for that as well.

Last edited:

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I have to say, if the biggest mistake you have ever made is eating in a bad restaurant, the you have had a charmed life. You shouldn't have paid the bill if it was that bad - just leave your name and address.

And or paid for the wine only....

I had a Christmas party there with my old firm, our accountant fell asleep waiting for the food.

Never eat in a place that turns into a night club in the evening!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not all.

English's service is excellent ( trouble is you can only afford to eat there once a blue moon). The Mexicxan place next to the Theater Royal is excellent as is Al Duomo's. In Hove, Orsino's is probably my favourite.

Although in Sussex, you have to go a long way to beat the Royal Oak in Poynings

Agree that English's and Al Duomos have excellent service. I haven't been to Orsino's for a while as a result of bad service there, and if i remember rightly, the waitress got sacked as a result of our complaint (and i suspect many others). Not that i bear a grudge - i might give it another go now, it must have been 15 years ago !

And, out your way, DTG, some excellent service in the Oriental Village at the top of Boundary (Food alright, service excellent).

Also while we are on about good restaurants, a quick mention for Barry at the Tureen in Upper North Street and this place for somewhere 'special' (and book a room) http://www.arundelhouseonline.co.uk/

Last edited:

If anyone is over the Dyke way, then I suggest a short drive through Poynings to the Henfield Rd, turn left for about 200 yeards. Small Dole 'Cromwells' at Golding's Barn - brilliant food, absolutely excellent breakfasts, great place to sit, has an outside garden for sunny days, view overlooking the winding river Adur across to Steyning and Chanctonbury Ring.

From there, it's a nice drive to Bramber, Steyning or Shoreham, to grab a pint or two or stroll around the shops.

Another one I can review for Sunday lunch, is at Arundel Lake. Very nice setting, great food ...and great desserts. You can slowly walk it off afterwards, or row it off on the lake itself (might be seasonal), or walk round Arundel. Amberly is a good place to stop on the way back for a pint, or a tea on the banks of the River Arun.

I believe there's a bar or cafe at Shoreham Airport, isn't there? Anyone been there or recommend it?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
And, out your way, DTG, some excellent service in the Oriental Village at the top of Boundary (Food alright, service excellent).

Funnily enough the Mrs and I were out last night and a few people mentioned the Oriental Village...seemly it does a buffet style , eat all you can for £x

I think we were going to try and go on saturday...do you have to book?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Funnily enough the Mrs and I were out last night and a few people mentioned the Oriental Village...seemly it does a buffet style , eat all you can for £x

I think we were going to try and go on saturday...do you have to book?

I was there last fri Dave. I think you generally have to book for a Fri or Sat, there were a few spare tables last week, but that's the first time I've seen any when I've been there (about 6 times).

Food is rather good, you pay a set fee for food and you just keep ordering more until you're done. They are only ever small portions of each dish, a mouthful or two, so you can try loads of different things or have the same thing many times. Service is terrific.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We normally book Dave. It is an all you want style from the menu. They will offer to bring you mixed starters, but we normally choose from the menu. By the time we have had three rounds of starters and a couple of Crispy acrobatic ducks, it is a struggle to eat a main course - wear elasticated trousers

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Avoid the Star inn in Normans Bay - especially the house speciality, Pooh pooh in wee wee sauce and thinny sliced scabby dogs arse - disgusting

haven't been there in years, the last time I went I asked for a rare steak. When it arrived it was frozen in the middle.

Now that's just bad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here