Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
IMG_20240409_011112.jpg

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Lessons by Ian McEwan - struggling a bit with it to be honest, McEwan is clearly a very bright man, a lot brighter than a thicko like me, and whereas I've managed to negotiate my way through, and enjoy, several of his previous works I think I've more than met my match here!! I'll persevere in the hope that my perseverance will be rewarded with enlightenment and understanding!!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Lessons by Ian McEwan - struggling a bit with it to be honest, McEwan is clearly a very bright man, a lot brighter than a thicko like me, and whereas I've managed to negotiate my way through, and enjoy, several of his previous works I think I've more than met my match here!! I'll persevere in the hope that my perseverance will be rewarded with enlightenment and understanding!!
I've just noted that I first posted re "Lessons" on March 27 saying it was shaping up to be my book of the year - it's been a struggle since those early few pages!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Vuelta Skelter - Tim Moore

If this is anything like his other two Grand Tours of Cycling books it will be epic - it was stunningly good

Last edited:

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
"Goodbye to all that" by Robert Graves, really wonderful autobiography, gives some great accounts of his time serving in WW1 with a lot of information I was completely unaware of, he had certainly led quite a life, very enjoyable read.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A Piano in the Pyrenees - Tony Hawks

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
View attachment 169885

This excellent book is not as much about baseball as about 1980s small town America and the people who, year in and year out, inhabit the little band box stadiums that host the minor leagues. The author decided to live out a fantasy by dumping his day job, outfitting a second hand camper van, and setting out on a great circular journey around backwaters of American baseball & the "unknown" affiliate teams...some of which disappeared from the map years ago. Great read for any sports fans.
Just managed to pick up a copy of this based on your recommendation, great read.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The Mandibles - Lionel Shriver

Its a novel about the collapse of the US dollar and a Family struggles.

Quite frighteneing really as its all very plausable.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Stalingrad Anthoney Beevor The brutality on both sides was unbelievable. I never realised how close Germany got to taking Stalingrad. Without doubt war was lost for Germany after this defeat but Hitler refused to surrender meaning 100s thousands of unecessary deaths.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dreams from my Father - Barack Obama

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Long Road from Jarrow - Stuart Maconie

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here