Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
To the Baltic with Bob - Griff Rhys Jones

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
English Pastoral - James Rebanks

Our terrible choice between treating our land responsibly and respectfully and worsening our food security by a significant factor, or carrying on down a road that destroys biodiversity, and leaves us entirely reliant on US agri-chemical suppliers to keep pumping more into the soil to keep it fertile, with the predictable effect on our rivers and wildlife. The lad’s a farmer, so this isn’t a hippy take on the issue, it is however a human heart and mind compressed into a couple of hundred pages.

I recommend wholeheartedly and without reservation.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Ultra-Processed People, recommended by someone on NSC a few days ago. It's interesting, if a bit sciencey for me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Walking the Himalayas - Levison Wood

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
About to tuck into Heat 2

Sequel to Heat. Well, prequel and sequel. Spans before and after the events of the 90’s film, Heat.

Having just finished Driven. The sequel to Drive. I’m into extended stories at the moment.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just finished House of Silk (Anthony Horowitz). This is an attempt to add to Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes canon.

I enjoyed it greatly. The rhythm of the originals is there. The language is slightly less prissy/pedantic than ACD's style, and I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. Holmes seems a bit less enigmatic and more kindly, which is also something I'm not quite sure about. I'm sufficiently naive to not realize what the Great Theme was till it was revealed; or maybe I did but was happy to suspend my disbelief.

I have his 'Moriarty'up next. Will enjoy the sun on my patio and make a start, I think.

I also bought his three James Bond books. I have read a couple of 'other author' Bond books, including one in which he'd given up the fags and the womanizing (License renewed, 1981 - just looked it up - don't bother!). I hope Horowitz has had the good sense to stick with the facts. Based on 'House of Silk' I suspect he has. In which case I may be in for a treat.....

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
The Truce - Primo Levi

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Through the Embers of Chaos (Balkan Journeys) - Dervla Murphy

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills