Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I don't read a lot (shame on me) but I have been bought Bob Mortimer's autobiography for Christmas, and am looking forward to finding the time to read it.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I don't read a lot (shame on me) but I have been bought Bob Mortimer's autobiography for Christmas, and am looking forward to finding the time to read it.

Bit all over the place as you would probably guess but good enough read.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Merde In Europe - Stephen Clarke

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good Vibrations (Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie) - Andrew P. Sykes

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The Far Corner - Harry Pearson: pretty ancient now but doesn't really make a lot of difference. An amusing portrayal of mainly non-league football that's up there with the sport's best ever books.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Great Railway Bazaar - Paul Theroux

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
The Story of the World in 100 Moments by Neil Oliver. I like the guy and he writes well.

About to put the log burner on, watch the FA cup, cook a beef stew and read some more over a glass of red wine....Sunday's don't get much better than that IMHO!

TNBA

TTF

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
"Enemy Coast Ahead" - the uncensored version by Guy Gibson, it's about his career in the R.A.F. and his opinions on the behaviour of the Airforce senior command and thoughts of the general population during W.W.2.as well as the missions he took part in, including dropping some bombs on some Dams somewhere...it is written by himself and can thoroughly recommend it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ox Travels - various

A collection of travel writers stories of remarkable meetings published in support of Oxfam's work

(and from an Oxfam book shop)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Tattooist of Auschwitz. True characters weaved into a novel, the main guy being Lale Sokolov, a Slovak jew who tattoo's everyone's number onto the inside of their left forearm - that is, if they made it past 'selection' on the arrivals platform.

The subject matter is obviously harrowing, but this is not a well written book. The characters are almost cardboard cutouts, and devastating events in the camp are covered in a fairly superficial matter-of-fact manner, almost skimmed. No real depth. The jews at one point play a football match against the SS, with ash cascading down onto them from a nearby crematoria, yet the abject horror of this is described almost in passing.

I'll finish it, but I can't recommend it. It IS an amazing real-life story, but the author Heather Morris is apparently a screenwriter. In better hands, this story could have been an incredible read.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
The Counterfeit Candidate - Brian KLEIN - producer of Top Gear (when it was good)

Nazi's, Conspiracy theories, modern day politics what more do you want!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here