Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Arguments Yard, Atilla’s memoirs. Enjoying it so far for the memories of the music and culture of my own youth and getting better acquainted with the great man’s poetry.
Looking forward to immersing myself in his take on the Albion’s dark days soon...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
That Gambling for life is pretty good actually

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Only if you think of reading as a way to fill in spare time.

You are someone who should definitely be using his local lending library, you'd save a fortune. I got A Brief History of Seven Killings out on a Tuesday, two days and six chapters later I returned it. Life's too short to plough on with books regardless, and there is a hell of a lot of published gash out there, prize winning or otherwise.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Viv Albertine's latest .... can't think what it's called
“I just want to blow a hole in it all”. Any good? Her first one is next on my list when I finish Atilla’s tome. Mrs KK loves the first Viv Albertine book and I was pondering getting the new one for her.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
'The Silk Roads' by Peter Frankopan

Brilliant history of the World.....thought provoking and doesn't portray Christianity, the Spanish or the Portuguese in a good light.

Great book, well recommended.....and next I have Caroline Alexander's English Translation of Homer's 'The Iliad' to contend with!

TNBA

TTF

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You are someone who should definitely be using his local lending library, you'd save a fortune. I got A Brief History of Seven Killings out on a Tuesday, two days and six chapters later I returned it. Life's too short to plough on with books regardless, and there is a hell of a lot of published gash out there, prize winning or otherwise.

I'm with you completely on A Brief History of Seven Killings. Almost unreadable and a blatant rip-off of the far superior City of God, just set in Jamaica rather than Rio.

You've convinced me to visit my local library but unfortunately it doesn't help much with my annual Man Booker Prize challenge because the library won't have the books stocked before the winners are announced. When I've completed this year's books I quite fancy getting into Nordic Noir as well as reading more Elmore Leonard and Philip K Dick and this is where the library will save the pennies.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 12.42.46.png

Likes of Us: A Biography of the White Working Class by Michael Collins.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I presume all libraries do this but here in sunny Kent I can access the KCC online library and borrow e-books for up to 21 days. For the last 6 months or so I’ve been working my way through the Jack Reacher series and have just one to go.

Brighton & Hove libraries have a great system where you can reserve books online and they email you when they're reading to collect from the library you requested.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'm with you completely on A Brief History of Seven Killings. Almost unreadable and a blatant rip-off of the far superior City of God, just set in Jamaica rather than Rio.

You've convinced me to visit my local library but unfortunately it doesn't help much with my annual Man Booker Prize challenge because the library won't have the books stocked before the winners are announced. When I've completed this year's books I quite fancy getting into Nordic Noir as well as reading more Elmore Leonard and Philip K Dick and this is where the library will save the pennies.

I see you are on here quite a bit these days. Must be feeling better and internet ok :)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Glad you enjoyed it. The TV movie adaptation starring Rutger Hauer less good but maybe worth a watch if you want to see it played out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I watched it after reading the book. As you say, worth a watch but as usual the film is nowhere near as good as the book.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Ready Player One

Finished that a few weeks ago, before seeing the film. It's a cracking read. I enjoyed the film too, even though they changed almost all the details.

Currently reading Marathon Man, the autobiography about the American runner Bill Rodgers. My friend lent it to me as inspiration in the lead up to running my own marathon last weekend. It's really enjoyable reading about how different the running culture was back in the 1970s. He won his first Boston Marathon with a pair of shoes sent to him by Blue Ribbon Sports (now Nike) a couple of days before event, which were a size too big for him. He also wrote the name of his running club in permanent marker across his cheap white singlet, and wore a pair of white gardening gloves to keep his hands warm.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Recently read West Pier by Patrick Hamilton - about a confidence trickster conning an innocent young girl in 1920s Brighton. Great sense of Brighton as it must have been and a nasty little story. Very recommended

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
“I just want to blow a hole in it all”. Any good? Her first one is next on my list when I finish Atilla’s tome. Mrs KK loves the first Viv Albertine book and I was pondering getting the new one for her.

To Throw Away Unopened ... yes it's very good, she holds nothing back, had quite a shocking childhood, I really admire her honest, no BS attitude
She's doing a talk in the Btn Festival

Brightonrock01

May 22, 2017
Augusta, Ga, USA
Just finished Keith Richard's 'Life', which was good, and currently reading Anna Politkovskaya's 'Putin's Russia'. She was the journo who was shot dead in the lift, in her apartment block, supposedly by Putin's hit men. Little bit heavier than Keef's book!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here