Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Superbly addictive books.

After a couple of emotionally heavy books I decided I needed a "don't need to think about it too much" novel, so picked up Karin Slaughter's Kisscut. A nice book to bridge a gap whilst I find something else.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
With Kazuo Ishiguro having won the literature nobel I suppose I should try and revisit his stuff. I have given up on separate occasions 'When we Were Orphans' and 'The Buried Giant' getting about a quarter of the way through of each and it not clicking. Am I missing something?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Just finished The Kite Runner outstanding

i may have got a bit misty eyed at one stage reading that....good read

I am now risking " The Girl In the Spiders Web " a follow on from Stieg Larsson Dragon tatoo series but now written by David Lagercrantz.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Just finishing "Dadland" by Keggie Carew. It's about her Dad who is suffering from Alzheimer's. She discovers he was a WW11 hero, who worked for Special Ops behind enemy lines in France and Asia. Very sad to hear how a brilliant, heroic man deteriorates in such a way - sadly a condition for which there's still no cure.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
With Kazuo Ishiguro having won the literature nobel I suppose I should try and revisit his stuff. I have given up on separate occasions 'When we Were Orphans' and 'The Buried Giant' getting about a quarter of the way through of each and it not clicking. Am I missing something?

I'm in the same boat as you. Whenever I've tried an Ishiguro book I've given up part way through. Not sure what the attraction is!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't often re-read books but am thoroughly enjoying A Time of Gifts, the first part of Patrick Leigh Fermor's account of his walk from Hook of Holland to Constantinople (as it then was). It's incredible to think that an 18-year-old could walk such a long way, with little in the way of money, traversing Nazi Germany and soon-to-be Nazi Austria.

I'm then go to re-read the second part and turn to the third part (published posthumously), which I haven't read yet.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Just finished Dark Money by Jane Mayer about the outsized influence of wealth of the 0.1% on US politics, and particularly how the Koch brothers have driven the Republican party to the right.

Just started Swing Time by Zadie Smith. Enjoyable so far. About two childhood friends growing up and following different paths.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I don't often re-read books but am thoroughly enjoying A Time of Gifts, the first part of Patrick Leigh Fermor's account of his walk from Hook of Holland to Constantinople (as it then was). It's incredible to think that an 18-year-old could walk such a long way, with little in the way of money, traversing Nazi Germany and soon-to-be Nazi Austria.

I'm then go to re-read the second part and turn to the third part (published posthumously), which I haven't read yet.

These are great reading. I've read the first two and have the final part waiting on my bookshelf.

A wonderful look at the Europe that was destroyed by the Second World War. But also just full of exhilaration and a relish for life.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've just watched a mini-series on PBS America about the Holocaust. There were some stories that I hadn't heard before - particularly those relating to resistance/escapes in/from various camps. I'd like to learn more about that particular aspect - anyone got any recommendations? TIA...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Finally I'm reading a book worthy of this thread.
After a Summer of schlock (Grisham/Child et al) and cycling books I picked up a twin pack containing:-

41CdFqzQ84L._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

and the one I started with, and am 3/4ers through

9780751569575.jpg

It's a hell of a read if you're in the mindset for the content.
I'd be interested to hear any opinions if others have read Mitch's work.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Ravilious & Co - The Pattern of Friendship by Andy Friend ..... just getting into this lot having been to a superb exhibition at the Towner Gallery in the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here