Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Exile by James Swallow (no. 2 of Marc Dane trilogy - so far not as good as Nomad) and I'm also reading, by way of a contrast, The Sparsholt Affair by Alan Hollinghurst.

Just finished reading Wilko Johnson's recent book "My Life". Not your average R'n'R bio, but a good if not necessarily comfortable read covering loss, sadness and the story of his going from a terminal cancer diagnosis to being cured. I notice that the man himself is doing a signing session in Brighton next week.

Remaining on a "Feelgood" theme, next read is "Lee Brilleaux - Rock'n'Roll Gentleman"

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Rod Stewart's autobio.

Really interesting, honest, a great read. What a music career. As a teen he worked with Long John Baldry from 1962, later Jeff Beck and Ronnie Wood. Along the way, in clubs and gigs around The Stones, Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Clapton, Bonham, in their formative years too.

All for a lad from a very humble background in north London, with no formal musical background.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Book of dust volume 1, Philip Pullman. Living up to hopes and expectations.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just started Antony Beevor's latest - Arnhem. His other WW2 books have been brilliant, so I'm sure this will be equally gripping

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The girl who takes an eye for an eye - David Lagercrantz

Continuation of the Dragon Tattoo series since Mr Steig Larsson's passing.

Not in his class but still enjoyable. Good characters.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The search for the perfect pub
Paul Moody and Robin Turner

Got it for a present. Not thrilled.
Turns out to be extremely readable.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Ulysses - James Joyce.

A much easier read than I thought it would be.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I tend to have a fiction and a non-fiction book on the go at the same time. Right now my non-fiction is The Politics of Geography by Tim Marshall; my chosen novel at the minute is Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Gerrard. First hand account of member of Scott's expedition to the South Pole. Gripping. Antarctic exploration in those days sounds HARD.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I am on a proper summer reading binge.

Currently Mark Billingham , time of death.
My first "Thorne" thriller and I can't put it down.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I am on a proper summer reading binge.

Currently Mark Billingham , time of death.
My first "Thorne" thriller and I can't put it down.

His books are superb, try Simon Kernick too, his are in a similar vein and good.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not a big fan of sporting autobiographies as they tend to be rather bland and not reveal too much. Have just finished two, however, that are a cut above. The first was Brian Moore's, which was pretty uncompromising, and didn't pull any punches on who he liked ... or didn't.

The second is even better - Foxy Fowler's Absolutely Foxed. He opens up about the mental illness that blighted his middle age and talks about how he copes with it. He's also very revealing about some of his team-mates: Derek Randall, David Lloyd and, especially, Ian Botham come out of it very well, some of his Lancashire colleagues sound like complete bell-ends. Sussex fans will be interested in what he says about RMJ too. It's highly recommended.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Born A Crime by Trevor Noah. One chapter in- each one tells a story of his upbringing in South Africa.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not a big fan of sporting autobiographies as they tend to be rather bland and not reveal too much. Have just finished two, however, that are a cut above. The first was Brian Moore's, which was pretty uncompromising, and didn't pull any punches on who he liked ... or didn't.

The second is even better - Foxy Fowler's Absolutely Foxed. He opens up about the mental illness that blighted his middle age and talks about how he copes with it. He's also very revealing about some of his team-mates: Derek Randall, David Lloyd and, especially, Ian Botham come out of it very well, some of his Lancashire colleagues sound like complete bell-ends. Sussex fans will be interested in what he says about RMJ too. It's highly recommended.

I read Brian Moore's autobio earlier this year. Incredibly open and honest, events in his childhood explain the man he became.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
War of the flowers. Tad Williams.

A wonderfully written fantasy epic.

I am currently going through a new found love for reading. My go to genre is fiction of the fantasy/Sci-fi kind.

I enjoy David Eddings, Anne Mcaffrey, Tad Williams, Pratchett, Barker, Robert Jordan ect.

I am looking to explore 2nd hand book stores in and around Sussex. I live in Worthing and don't mind a reasonable travel time to surrounding areas that have hidden gems like Badger books in Worthing

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The Isis Hostage Puk Damsgard

One man's true story of 13 months in captivity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here