Page 222 of 229 FirstFirst ... 122172212219220221222223224225 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 2286
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    I've just started The Pale King by David Foster Wallace. It seems he deliberately chose to set it in the most boring place imaginable - a tax office in Peoria, Illinois.

The author's revered by a lot of fans of postmodern literature. You can't avoid comparisons with Thomas Pynchon I think, not least in the way that anything and everything, the tedious fragments of life, are brought into the scope of the book. Sometimes the effect is humorous, other times it feels almost despairing. (Perhaps not surprisingly from a writer who killed himself).
    Not this again.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by crasher View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      That's impressive - sounds slightly daunting. Out of interest, how long a day do you spend reading to get through that amount of books? Do you read other stuff too or just concentrate on that task.
      I spend about 2-3 hours a day reading on the train and maybe an hour or two at night in bed. When the Man Booker lists come through I tend just to read those but if the book was particularly heavy-going or just not enjoyable, I'll switch to an easy-read thriller. There's always something like 2 months between the longlist being published and the winner being named so it's not too difficult a task although I do hope each year that there's not a 900-pager.
      My music blog: de-minimis music
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BBassic View Post
      Have moved onto City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin and Moonglow by Michael Chabon.
      Like to hear what you think of the Chabon. I like his novels but this has got decidedly mixed reviews.

I'm currently reading Weapons of Math Destruction about the way that about the impact data algorithms are having on our lives - it's a very interesting (and scary) topic.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      LEMMY by Mick Wall
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      Like to hear what you think of the Chabon. I like his novels but this has got decidedly mixed reviews.

I'm currently reading Weapons of Math Destruction about the way that about the impact data algorithms are having on our lives - it's a very interesting (and scary) topic.
      Saw a review of that recently, I think. A very relevant and, as you say, scary topic.

On a similar note, there was an article in Foreign Policy magazine recently about how AI, by learning from its environment ie humans, seems to inevitably drift towards sexism, racism, and intolerance. An interesting slant on the AI debate.

0 Not allowed!
      Looking for recommendations please - hard sci-fi/hard space opera and, I guess separately, credible time travel. Not fantasy.

Good:

Asimov
      Arthur C Clarke
      Alastair Reynolds

Bad:

Dune - wtf?
      6EQUJ5 2A

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post

Will drop a little review when I'm done. I'm a big fan of his, Kavalier and Clay is in my top 10.

Your read sounds interesting as well. Going to add that to my list.

0 Not allowed!
      Not really my sort of cup of tea normally, the supernatural, but just finished The House on Cold Hill by Peter James, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Really enjoy his Roy Grace series (he's a detective in Brighton) but this is not part of that series. A contemporary ghost tale, set in a small village just outside Brighton/South Downs, that absorbed and a definite page turner.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      Looking for recommendations please - hard sci-fi/hard space opera and, I guess separately, credible time travel. Not fantasy.

Good:

Asimov
      Arthur C Clarke
      Alastair Reynolds

Bad:

Dune - wtf?
      The Expanse series is very good. It's not hard hard but there's definite science in there along with the fiction.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BBassic View Post
      The Expanse series is very good. It's not hard hard but there's definite science in there along with the fiction.
      Book 1: Leviathan Wakes - Hugo nominated; that's a good start! The setting looks like it might be my type of thing...I haven't read the plot, obviously. I'll give it a go. Thanks...
      6EQUJ5 2A