Page 222 of 229 FirstFirst ... 122172212219220221222223224225 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 2286
  1. #2211
    Members
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    2,729


    0 Not allowed!
    I've just started The Pale King by David Foster Wallace. It seems he deliberately chose to set it in the most boring place imaginable - a tax office in Peoria, Illinois.

    The author's revered by a lot of fans of postmodern literature. You can't avoid comparisons with Thomas Pynchon I think, not least in the way that anything and everything, the tedious fragments of life, are brought into the scope of the book. Sometimes the effect is humorous, other times it feels almost despairing. (Perhaps not surprisingly from a writer who killed himself).
    Not this again.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #2212

      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by crasher View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      That's impressive - sounds slightly daunting. Out of interest, how long a day do you spend reading to get through that amount of books? Do you read other stuff too or just concentrate on that task.
      I spend about 2-3 hours a day reading on the train and maybe an hour or two at night in bed. When the Man Booker lists come through I tend just to read those but if the book was particularly heavy-going or just not enjoyable, I'll switch to an easy-read thriller. There's always something like 2 months between the longlist being published and the winner being named so it's not too difficult a task although I do hope each year that there's not a 900-pager.
      My music blog: de-minimis music
    • #2213
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Uffern
      Posts
      21,403


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BBassic View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Have moved onto City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin and Moonglow by Michael Chabon.
      Like to hear what you think of the Chabon. I like his novels but this has got decidedly mixed reviews.

      I'm currently reading Weapons of Math Destruction about the way that about the impact data algorithms are having on our lives - it's a very interesting (and scary) topic.
    • #2214
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2016
      Location
      bn1
      Posts
      2,478


      0 Not allowed!
      LEMMY by Mick Wall
    • #2215
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Posts
      3,179


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Like to hear what you think of the Chabon. I like his novels but this has got decidedly mixed reviews.

      I'm currently reading Weapons of Math Destruction about the way that about the impact data algorithms are having on our lives - it's a very interesting (and scary) topic.
      Saw a review of that recently, I think. A very relevant and, as you say, scary topic.

      On a similar note, there was an article in Foreign Policy magazine recently about how AI, by learning from its environment ie humans, seems to inevitably drift towards sexism, racism, and intolerance. An interesting slant on the AI debate.
    • #2216
      #Top Two Goldstone1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2013
      Location
      East Anglia
      Posts
      7,571


      0 Not allowed!
      Looking for recommendations please - hard sci-fi/hard space opera and, I guess separately, credible time travel. Not fantasy.

      Good:

      Asimov
      Arthur C Clarke
      Alastair Reynolds

      Bad:

      Dune - wtf?
      6EQUJ5 2A
    • #2217
      Members BBassic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Location
      Communist Republic of Deviancy
      Posts
      5,403


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Like to hear what you think of the Chabon. I like his novels but this has got decidedly mixed reviews.

      I'm currently reading Weapons of Math Destruction about the way that about the impact data algorithms are having on our lives - it's a very interesting (and scary) topic.

      Will drop a little review when I'm done. I'm a big fan of his, Kavalier and Clay is in my top 10.

      Your read sounds interesting as well. Going to add that to my list.
    • #2218
      Members dolphins's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      BN1, in GOSBTS
      Posts
      1,323


      0 Not allowed!
      Not really my sort of cup of tea normally, the supernatural, but just finished The House on Cold Hill by Peter James, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Really enjoy his Roy Grace series (he's a detective in Brighton) but this is not part of that series. A contemporary ghost tale, set in a small village just outside Brighton/South Downs, that absorbed and a definite page turner.
    • #2219
      Members BBassic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Location
      Communist Republic of Deviancy
      Posts
      5,403


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Looking for recommendations please - hard sci-fi/hard space opera and, I guess separately, credible time travel. Not fantasy.

      Good:

      Asimov
      Arthur C Clarke
      Alastair Reynolds

      Bad:

      Dune - wtf?
      The Expanse series is very good. It's not hard hard but there's definite science in there along with the fiction.
    • #2220
      #Top Two Goldstone1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2013
      Location
      East Anglia
      Posts
      7,571


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BBassic View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The Expanse series is very good. It's not hard hard but there's definite science in there along with the fiction.
      Book 1: Leviathan Wakes - Hugo nominated; that's a good start! The setting looks like it might be my type of thing...I haven't read the plot, obviously. I'll give it a go. Thanks...
      6EQUJ5 2A

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •