Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The Woods by Harlen Coben

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I read quite a few Chester Himes books recently. Sort of Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett type novels but set in black Harlem.

I've thoroughly enjoyed them as I took a break from reading 'War and Turpentine' the Man Booker book I was reading just had me daydreaming and I wasn't taking anything in.

The book reminds me a lot of reading Proust or Marquez where not a lot happens but it's described beautifully and in painstaking detail. It's even more like Proust inasmuch as it's a collection of quaint anecdotes that don't really go anywhere. I'm back onto it now but I'm still zoning out and I'll give it another 100 pages and then make a decision to stop and move onto another book. I hate doing that but I do prefer novels with stories that move along and build.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I finally gave up on the book this morning on my commute. Life's too short and I really don't want to read the same page 3 times because I've glossed (sic) over yet another full description of a monastery fresco. Now onto Ismail Kadare 'The Traitor's Niche'. This one has a plot so I'm hoping for good things.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
IMG_0031.JPG

Ridiculous but highly compelling.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I read quite a few Chester Himes books recently. Sort of Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett type novels but set in black Harlem.

Himes's books are great - scarcely mentioned these days. The black detective novelist who seems to be flavour of the month is Walter Mosely, He's good but I find Himes much more evocative

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
IMG_0033.JPG

Revisiting a classic from my youth: 'Come out, Neville!'

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
IMG_0040.JPG

More simple, honest story telling from Willy.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt

Its a bit of a monster for me at nearly 900 pages, im 300 through and so far its keeping me entertained, waiting for it too really kick off still.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt

Its a bit of a monster for me at nearly 900 pages, im 300 through and so far its keeping me entertained, waiting for it too really kick off still.

I've got that on my reading list, two or three along.

Currently reading 'Moonglow' by Michael Chabon.

Good so far!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Struggling through Wolf Hall at the minute, considering putting it down but I've been doing that a lot recently. Maybe need to rea something a bit lighter.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here