Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Harvest by Jim Grace- the story of a village under threat by outsiders and witchcraft. Chilling stuff and a quick read if that's what you want.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I'm just about to start Joe Klein's Woody Guthrie: A Life

It's mentioned by Springsteen in one of his monologues between songs on one of his live records, so hopefully will be a good read :)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Just finished 'Bonfire of the Vanities,' great book somewhat let down by the ending. Next is 'Pigeon English.'

For anyone who likes great fiction writing on the subject of football, I cannot recommend 'Fan' by Danny Rhodes highly enough. In brief, it's about about supporting Forest and The Hillsborough Disaster (Rhodes was there). Best book I've read in years.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Struggling through Don Quixote. Whilst I am enjoying it, your man Don Quioxte being a genuinely funny character, it is a bit rambling.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald - strangely powerful autobiographical story about how the author was fascinated by hawks and falconry as a child and was drawn to obtaining a Goshawk when her father died to somehow help her to come to terms with his death. Strange to the point that she started to think and behave like the hawk.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
'Spy Catcher' by Peter Wright, former senior MI5 officer.

Fascinating and surprisingly gripping read about espionage and the series of spy scandals during the Cold War.

Can understand why it was so controversial when published in the late '80s when Wright was demonised by the British establishment for daring to reveal the scale of incompetence and wilful cover ups of the infiltration of the Security Services by foreign agents. You really get a sense of how frustrated Wright became.

Wright's background and earlier career as a very talented electrical engineer and ability to devise innovative listening equipment is another interesting angle.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
After finishing Joe Klein's biography of Woodie Guthrie, I picked up Jack Kerouac's Lonesome Traveller, and can see the linkage between early and mid twentieth century American music, politics and life in general :)

PS the former is a brilliant book, deffo worthy of a read

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
The Quarry - Iain Banks

Definitely up to his usual standard with the added poignancy that he was dying from cancer when he wrote the book. It's a great shame that there won't be any more novels from Mr Banks, he'll be sadly missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here