Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
Immortality by Kundera, not as good as some of his others but still thoroughly interesting. It is great the way that he manages to make a conversation between Hemingway and Goethe plausible. Fake News alert!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Gimsons Kings and Queens of England

Totally excellent

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
A Short History of Byzantium by John Julius Norwich - very interesting it is too.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
After the Flood by John Nichol (Gulf War RAF Tornado Navigator famously shot down, captured and tortured by those lovely Iraqis).

It is essentially a history of 617 Squadron RAF (The Dam Busters) in WWII after the Dams Raid.

As opposed to the area bombing approach of the rest of Bomber Command, 617 basically became a precision night bombing unit with low level marking of targets for the rest of the war taking out V1/V2 sites etc..

Aside from the recording of the raids, he has interviewed many the very few surviving 617 crew, I guess the last chance to do so.

The courage of these men almost beggars belief, 55,000 of them were killed. Puts all the everyday bollocks that we live through into proper perspective.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Looking for recommendations please - hard sci-fi/hard space opera and, I guess separately, credible time travel. Not fantasy.

Good:

Asimov
Arthur C Clarke
Alastair Reynolds

Bad:

Dune - wtf?

The Culture Series by Iain M. Banks is pretty good for space opera, but you've probably read it before. Inherit the stars by James P Hogan is similar to Clarke.

What's wrong with Dune?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm now on the 4th of the 13 books from the Man Booker Int'l longlist.

Fever Dream is a (thankfully) very short book by Argentine author Samanta Schweblin with the main character unconscious in hospital and in whose dreams she talks with a dead boy. It's extremely confusing and deliberately so, Schweblin has tried to write it as if it was a real nightmare where things happen that don't make sense, characters appear incongruously and repeating themes occur. I didn't much enjoy the book but I did admire the concept and delivery.

Judas by Amos Oz is without doubt one of the most thought-provoking books I've read in a long time. Ostensibly a story of a student in Jerusalem who moves into a house to become an old man's companion in the late 50s, listening and debating with him. It's also a love story between a younger man and an older woman, a story of recent Israeli history, a minority plea for a two-state solution and a completely novel take on the idea of Judas as a true believer who never betrayed Jesus but rather had so much faith that he was the son of God, having seen so many miracles for himself, that he engineered the Crucifixion to prove the verity of Jesus. His suicide was therefore an act of despair rather than guilt. A quite stunning book.

Currently reading Bricks and Mortar by Clemens Mayer. A collection of stories about life and attitudes in Leipzig from the mid 90s onwards focusing around the sex industry. A long read with the first chapter being completely in dialogue was knackering to get my head around who said what, to who and about whom but once I got in the groove it became easier.

Last edited:

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Judas by Amos Oz is without doubt one of the most thought-provoking books I've read in a long time. Ostensibly a story of a student in Jerusalem who moves into a house to become an old man's companion in the late 50s, listening and debating with him. It's also a love story between a younger man and an older woman, a story of recent Israeli history, a minority plea for a two-state solution and a completely novel take on the idea of Judas as a true believer who never betrayed Jesus but rather had so much faith that he was the son of God, having seen so many miracles for himself, that he engineered the Crucifixion to prove the verity of Jesus. His suicide was therefore an act of despair rather than guilt. A quite stunning book.

Thanks for this; think I'll read it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Looking for recommendations please - hard sci-fi/hard space opera and, I guess separately, credible time travel. Not fantasy.

Good:

Asimov
Arthur C Clarke
Alastair Reynolds

Bad:

Dune - wtf?

Neal Stephenson 'Anathem'. Brilliant novel, orbital mechanics, interstella travel, alternative planes of existence, lovely.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I'm half way through the first Cadfael by Ellis Peters, I'm not sure yet, it's a bit 'wordy' if you know what I mean.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm currently reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and I think it''s ruddy fantastic.

Purchased and read within 4 days, really really enjoyed it, i have not read a book so fast in a long time.

Anyone who loves all things 80s... Music, Movies, TV and specifically old gaming consoles will love this book, enjoy.

Thanks Chappers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
i am reading the follow up to shantaram ......it's that boring i only manage 5 pages at a time......zzzzzzzzz

How are you getting along with it, now?

Shantaram is the very definition of epic. Its a lot to get your head around - just remembering what's gone on / how characters link / etc. Is the follow up similar?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm 2/3 through the Johnny Marr autobiography, Set The Boy Free.

The story is more interesting than his writing. I'm sucked in because I'm fascinated by the subject matter - the background to the songs I grew up to. If I were about a band I have no interest in, then the writing / story would probably leave me cold.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
About 50 pages left in Oryx and Crake, which is a lot odder than I was expecting.

Since I started taking the train to work I'm going through books at a financially crippling pace. Need to see if I can get some better protection for them in my backpack and start using the library again probably.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A new job this year has meant lots of travel and lots of reading on trains. So far in three months I've got all the way through "The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared" which was very funny and highly recommended if you like shaggy dog stories with ridiculous plots that are, nevertheless, intelligently written (I do)). I've also finally finished "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre which is acerbically written and every bit as good as his column of the same name. Am now reading the 30th anniversary reissue of Mike Brearley's "The Art of Captaincy". A must for cricket fans, no idea why I've left it this long.

Next cab off the rank is Julian Barnes' The Noise of Time.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
About 50 pages left in Oryx and Crake, which is a lot odder than I was expecting.

Since I started taking the train to work I'm going through books at a financially crippling pace. Need to see if I can get some better protection for them in my backpack and start using the library again probably.

Yes a very strange trilogy but worth reading all three books in the series

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
How are you getting along with it, now?

Shantaram is the very definition of epic. Its a lot to get your head around - just remembering what's gone on / how characters link / etc. Is the follow up similar?

not really....less charachters do absorb , but i have a funny feeling things are about to get lively......not as good as shantaram by a long way imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here