Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Just finished Eric Clapton's autobiography which was a bit like one of his concerts I went to years ago - initially exciting but then boring particularly when he goes into his AA period towards the end.

Am now just starting on the Garry Nelson book written in 1994 when he was playing at Charlton, already itself a period piece as he refers to playing in "The stiffs".

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I read American Rust and really liked it, but not being a fan of 'Westerns' I gave this one a swerve.

I'd give it a go: it transcends the Western genre (for me) & covers generarions of the same family from 1800s to present day.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Miracle Cure - Harlan Coben

Got to put it down now, or I might miss pre match pub

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I need a new thriller/crime/mystery in my life.

Just started Robert Harris's new one, Conclave.

Always been a fan of his stuff since Fatherland, years back, but already I think this is going to be up there with his very best.

The chapters I've read so far have been incredibly atmospheric. I'm glued.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Fingers in the Sparkle Jar - Chris Packham.

Never watched anything he's done on TV but great reviews and his bizarre, maverick life made me interested in this autobiography. Amazing read thus far.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Covers 1860-90. Relentlessly compelling and appalling.
image.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My latest bargain basement purchase from the BHF shop in London Road is 'SHIFT' by Hugh Howey. Part of a sci-fi trilogy apparently. Not normally a sci-fi fan, but this goes light on the sci-fi aspect, despite being set in the near-future pre- and post-apocalypse. Extremely readable, has to be said. 8/10

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Harlen Coben - Caught

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All That Man Is by David Szalay.

It's a strange one: it's marketed as a novel - and is on the Booker Prize shortlist - but it reads like a collection of short stories. I'm only about a quarter of the way through it at the moment so maybe there'll be some enlightenment

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Just finished His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnett which is also on the man booker shortlist. A crime story written as an investigation into a century old murder in the Scottish Highlands very well written it explores the nature of memory and madness in a period setting. Hugely enjoyable and not overly long I highly recommend it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Just finished His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnett which is also on the man booker shortlist. A crime story written as an investigation into a century old murder in the Scottish Highlands very well written it explores the nature of memory and madness in a period setting. Hugely enjoyable and not overly long I highly recommend it.

Crime is the one fiction genre that holds absolutely no interest for me, but this book really came out of nowhere and has snowballed onto the Man Booker as you say. May have to check it out, it's not Peter James after all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here