Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Having finished my Patrick Leigh Fermor trilogy, I've turned to something completely different and am reading Q by Luther Blissett.

It's a bit of heavyweight book - in every sense - but am learning lots about the reformation movement in Germany.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having finished my Patrick Leigh Fermor trilogy, I've turned to something completely different and am reading Q by Luther Blissett.

It's a bit of heavyweight book - in every sense - but am learning lots about the reformation movement in Germany.

Although the AC Milan stuff should be interesting.

someone had to do it.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Goodnight and Good Riddance: How Thirty-Five Years of John Peel Helped to Shape Modern Britain by David Cavanagh. Lengthy but really absorbing. Peel was not perfect, but he was a genius. Love the man.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
The Brighton trilogy. Peter Gutteridge.

Probably been covered before. Crime thriller set in Brighton but that's where the Peter James comparison ends. Set mostly in present day Brighton but includes sections in first and second world wars. Gosbts even gets a mention. Lots in 1930s Brighton but best of all the first half of the second book is set in the Brighton of the 60s with hippies mods and rockers. Worth a look.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Phillip Pullman’s The Book If Dust Volume One- he is a brilliant writer who creates the best characters whether good or bad, you are always emotionally engaged with them. He is perceived as a children’s writer but as far as I am concerned he is just a superb writer whom childen happen to like.

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. It's an awesome left-wing account of American history going back to
Columbus. My travel book right now is called the Modern Middle East, it's a political analysis of the Middle East from World War I (with a great opening chapter of brief history before the era to establish context) until I'm guessing 2005 or so when the book was published. It must've been used as a text book for college courses, I found it in a bin of free books on the street, glad I picked it up.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Of mice and men , watched the film a while back and thought it was superb , half way through the book and tbh the film's winning so far .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Brighton trilogy. Peter Gutteridge.

Probably been covered before. Crime thriller set in Brighton but that's where the Peter James comparison ends. Set mostly in present day Brighton but includes sections in first and second world wars. Gosbts even gets a mention. Lots in 1930s Brighton but best of all the first half of the second book is set in the Brighton of the 60s with hippies mods and rockers. Worth a look.

That sounds interesting: not one I'd heard of.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Phillip Pullman’s The Book If Dust Volume One- he is a brilliant writer who creates the best characters whether good or bad, you are always emotionally engaged with them. He is perceived as a children’s writer but as far as I am concerned he is just a superb writer whom childen happen to like.

Same, I started today and am halfway through. I re-read His Dark Materials in preparation which I hadn't read for maybe fifteen years, I forgot how good they were.

Next one should be out 2018/9.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I love the books of David Baldacci.
Just started No Man's Land

:moo:

Attachments

• marx.jpg
    marx.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 117

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The Bottom Corner, by Nige Tassell.
Stories from the world of Non-League football, including chapters about Lewes, and Worthing Utd. ( Detailing the effect of the Shoreham Airshow disaster on the club. Very moving)

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
The Righteous Mind by Johnathan Haight. Interesting so far.

Just finished The Loved Ones by Evelyn Waugh which I could take or leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here