Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

i don't remember howlett

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
i was 13 when we got to the cup final and went to the semi and of course norwich in the quarters, but couldn't get a ticket for the final (although i did go to the replay) but i have no recollection of howlett - who was he? i thought i knew the team but obviously i didn't.

this is all because sky 442 have shown the final tonight.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Gary Howlett (born April 2, 1963) is a former Irish international footballer and member of Brighton & Hove Albion's 1983 FA Cup final team. Dubliner Howlett joined Brighton in the early 1980s, with the highlight of his career being the 1983 final against Manchester United, where he crossed for Gordon Smith to head the first goal in a match that ended 2-2. Manchester United won the replay 4-0.

He won one cap for the Republic of Ireland, against China in 1984. Howlett, who's playing career was hampered by injuries, also played for Bournemouth and York City, before returning to Irish domestic football, and, later on, management.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
"Howlett was fouled by Mills"

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
If I recall we picked up Howlett on a free from Coventry City. He scored on his first start for the 1st team at home to Liverpool. 2-0 up at half time, ended up drawing 2-2.:clap:

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Spunk Bubble said:
If I recall we picked up Howlett on a free from Coventry City. He scored on his first start for the 1st team at home to Liverpool. 2-0 up at half time, ended up drawing 2-2.:clap:

He did a fantastic bit of skill by-passing two Liverpool players in one swift movement

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Goodfella said:
Gary Howlett (born April 2, 1963) is a former Irish international footballer and member of Brighton & Hove Albion's 1983 FA Cup final team. Dubliner Howlett joined Brighton in the early 1980s, with the highlight of his career being the 1983 final against Manchester United, where he crossed for Gordon Smith to head the first goal in a match that ended 2-2. Manchester United won the replay 4-0.

He won one cap for the Republic of Ireland, against China in 1984. Howlett, who's playing career was hampered by injuries, also played for Bournemouth and York City, before returning to Irish domestic football, and, later on, management.

and said Howlett now works in Dublin airport. Have been told by somebody that he knows that he would be real keen to come along to one of the Irish meet ups. Gonna look into that one sometime.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I remember him as a good player but as said was hampered by bad injuries.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Goodfella said:

Did he not sign with Kieron O'reagan???

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yep gary Howlett came from Coventry City on a free about the same time that Kieran O'Reagan came over from Cork. 82/83 I guess.

Good player...he enjoyed the lifestyle in those days, thought he would probable stay here.

Gary_Howlett.jpg

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Apparently was nick-named Fish and could take a drink. Was a bit lightweight and after 1985 the refs allowed assault on the pitch and he drifted off to Bournemouth. Was an Ireland international.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here