Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion v Aston Villa 1972

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I've just realised that in a couple of days time it will be exactly 35 years ago since I saw my first Albion match. I went with a mate and his Dad to see them play Aston Villa in the old 3rd Division. Tickets were like gold dust and the crowd was 30,000+. I remember a stonking goal from Willie Irvine as the Albion won 2-1. In those days MOTD consisted of just two games usually from the 1st Division but the cameras were there for this game as the teams were top and second in the table.

That afternoon was a turning point in my life, I had never taken much interest in football before but I was completely and utterly smitten. It was the most fantastic thing that had ever happened to me in my 10 years. Watching the game on MOTD I looked for myself in the crowd but of course never saw myself. I think Irvine's goal was goal of the season. It's funny the things you remember, Villa had a bald player and that seemed very strange to me, as being bald I associated with old age. Anyone remember his name?

I went to every remaining home game that season including the 1-1 draw with Rochdale that saw us promoted. I usually went with a mate but couldn't find anyone to go with that night so went on my own. It was pay on the gate and another 30,000+ crowd. At kick off there were, what seemed like thousands to me still waiting to get in. We were told the ground was full and I didn't think I was going to get in, then someone opened an exit and let a load of us in for free. At the end of the game we all ran onto the pitch and I remember thinking life doesn't get much better, the Albion promoted and I still had my 15p entrance money in my pocket.

The world has changed so much in 35 years. I lived at Whitehawk and got myself by bus to the Goldstone and home again at 10 o'clock at night. I have a 10 year old son and I wouldn't dream of letting him go to a football match on his own in the daytime let alone at night.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The year i was born

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I was there. I think Willie Irvine goal was in the south stand net. Also didn't Irvine score for Northen Ireland against England at wembley. I may be wrong here anyone know.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
andybaha said:
It's funny the things you remember, Villa had a bald player and that seemed very strange to me, as being bald I associated with old age. Anyone remember his name?

Andy Lockhead. it IS funny the things you remember!!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
andybaha said:
I went to every remaining home game that season including the 1-1 draw with Rochdale that saw us promoted. I usually went with a mate but couldn't find anyone to go with that night so went on my own. It was pay on the gate and another 30,000+ crowd. At kick off there were, what seemed like thousands to me still waiting to get in. We were told the ground was full and I didn't think I was going to get in, then someone opened an exit and let a load of us in for free. At the end of the game we all ran onto the pitch and I remember thinking life doesn't get much better, the Albion promoted and I still had my 15p entrance money in my pocket.

I was meant to meet my Dad outside the N Stand after the game to give me a lift back to Ringmer.

We missed each other in the crowds so I hitched back to Ringmer in the dark arriving back about 12:30 in the morning (having a blue & white scarf helped!). He arrived back an hour later thinking I'd been murdered, kidnapped whatever and had been shitting himself, with the police etc ( I was only 13 and a pretty innocent 13 at that!). Hell to pay!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I was there & it's the one & only game my Dad took me to & the one & only good thing he ever did! (Apart from go out for a paper a month later, never to return!)

I remember watching a skinhead getting nicked on the way up the steps into the North Stand, screaming "But I never f***ing swore!"

I was 11 & thought it was great.

That was my first season supporting the Albion as well. And I was there, thoroughly enjoying watching the Villa take a tumble - I'd persisted with supporting Birmingham City during my early years in Brighton as a student. But I'd broken the habit, thanks to spending fifteen months from late 1970 until February 1972 living in Italy.

I'd just found a flat in Hove, within walking distance of the Goldstone and it seemed a bit churlish to turn down a mate's suggestion that going down the Shoreham Road might be a good way to start a Saturday afternoon.

The Villa game was, I think, the second Albion home game I ever saw. And a promotion season was a good start to what turned into more than just 90 minutes.

Was it really 35 years ago? I must be getting old.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Alway remember them showing Willie Irvines goal on the opening credits to MOTD ..

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
A clssic match - but I don't think tickets were like gold dust - you just had to get there a bit earlier. To see Villa's famous shirts against our then perennial under-achievers was slightly unbelievable.

Was it Lochhead - their balding stand-out player was Graydon (or something like that).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dick Knights Mumm said:
A clssic match - but I don't think tickets were like gold dust - you just had to get there a bit earlier. To see Villa's famous shirts against our then perennial under-achievers was slightly unbelievable.

Agreed. In fact I don't even think it was all-ticket? Matches weren't in those days. As you say you just got there early, if you turned up after about 2:30 you just didn't get in.

Great days, and like you say it felt slightly unreal to see us playing ASTON VILLA! They'd like won the FA Cup 7 times and were one of the most famous sides in Britain. And we beat them!

Superfreds Mullet

Where's Nogbad?
Mar 6, 2007
Walking on the Moon
I remember the game well,and from what I recall Willie Irvine's goal was second in Goal of the Month on MoD but also second in Goal of the Season. I think that as it was the first time the Albion had been on Match of the Day and they wanted everything perfect Frankie Howard(groundsman) painted the bare patches on the pitch with green paint so that on the telly the pitch looked perfect!:angel:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I'm pretty sure it was all ticket & I'm pretty sure it was LOCKhead.
They also had Bruce Rioch in midfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here