Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zaha: they can just go back to wherever they came from

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/12/wilfried-zaha-crystal-palace-brighton

Wilfried Zaha has dismissed suggestions he goes to ground too easily and accused those who brand him a diver of “jumping on the bandwagon” as the Ivory Coast winger seeks to edge Crystal Palace closer to safety with victory in the derby against Brighton on Saturday.

The forward has endured abuse on social media, public criticism from pundits and accusations from opponents during games over a perceived eagerness to tumble in the box or initiate contact with markers but insists he never intentionally dives to win penalties. He has received support from successive Palace managers and the co-chairman Steve Parish, who said earlier this season there was “an agenda against Wilfried Zaha” after a furious reaction to the spot-kick awarded in stoppage time against Manchester City on New Year’s Eve.

“The whole penalty thing … it used to get me really annoyed but everyone just jumps on the bandwagon,” Zaha said. “I don’t really buy into it but I read stuff on Twitter and think half of you lot don’t even watch me play but you come online saying: ‘He’s a diver.’ If you watch me play you’ll see how often I get kicked. I don’t go off the pitch and cut myself to act like I’ve been kicked.

“The funniest thing is I’d love to actually show someone. If I let you sprint and I just literally touch the back of your ankle, see how far you go sliding down the pitch. At the pace I’m running, trying to get the ball, the slightest touch could trip me over. You don’t have to literally push me over. That’s what people don’t understand. But unless you’re able to run that fast, you’ll never understand.”

Zaha has won eight penalties for Palace over the past three seasons and, while no other club boasts as many as the Londoners’ seven cautions for simulation in that period, the last of the winger’s three bookings for the offence came at Watford on Boxing Day in 2016. The Football Association had viewed the incident against City, together with the two penalties awarded for fouls on Zaha during the league game with Bournemouth in December, and determined they did not meet the criteria for a clear and obvious case of diving.

The winger pointed to Sadio Mané’s slightly delayed reaction after he was clipped by James McArthur in Liverpool’s win at Selhurst Park last month, and claimed he is not guilty of such exaggeration. “See with Mané, it could have been a pen,” he said. “Obviously Macca did touch him. But he’s waited seconds later and then thrown himself, do you know what I mean? He’s taken at least 10 seconds, then dived.” That was at least said through a smile.

The Ivorian appeared to infuriate Bournemouth’s Simon Francis during last Saturday’s reverse fixture between the sides. “I’ve done a one-two, I’ve gone to run and he’s blocked me and I fell over,” said Zaha in an interview with Palace’s official website. “And it’s like: ‘So, realistically, you know you’ve blocked me and you’ve bundled me over. I haven’t called for a penalty but, anywhere else on the pitch, that’s a foul. So why are you trying to pull me up and say: ‘Why are you diving?’ Because you know that anywhere else it’s a foul.’

“That’s what I don’t get. Some of these pens that aren’t given, anywhere else that’s a foul. So why’s it a foul in the middle of the pitch and in the box it’s not? That’s the question I ask myself but I don’t get involved in that any more.”

Zaha endured abuse from home supporters in the goalless draw at Brighton in November, and will expect a similar reaction from the travelling fans at Selhurst Park on Saturday. “It does [make me play better], not that I really care,” he said. “Fans give me abuse all the time. Nearly every team does that. If I wasn’t a good player, you wouldn’t feel like you need to boo me the whole game. So do that if it makes you feel better but it does spur me on. It’s like: ‘You expect something from me, that’s why you’re doing this,’ so I don’t mind it. They can boo me all day long, really.

“I just want to play the game [against Brighton]. I want to beat them and then they can be quiet. I feel like there’s no need for us to have the debate. I don’t feel like they’re better than us, so we just need to get the game over and done with, beat them and then they can just go back to wherever they came from, really. I get so much stick from them … I’m looking forward to the game.”

WE really do need to win on Saturday!!

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
“The funniest thing is I’d love to actually show someone. If I let you sprint and I just literally touch the back of your ankle, see how far you go sliding down the pitch. At the pace I’m running, trying to get the ball, the slightest touch could trip me over. You don’t have to literally push me over. That’s what people don’t understand. But unless you’re able to run that fast, you’ll never understand.”

Hmm! I used to sprint (Hurdle actually) and by his theory, I should have been falling 7-8 times during a race with the amount of time I slightly touched the hurdles.

Sorry Dwayne, the only time I did, was when I REALLY clattered one.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're not the only football player that runs Zaha. Why don't all the others go flying at the slightest touch?

And why are you able to keep running when touched outside of the box, but unable to when touched inside the box?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Zaha is a nightmare to play against. Can easily see Duffy or Dunk being caught out there, and probably inside the box. The giveaway thing that marks him down as a diving cheat though, is that he'll be appealing for the penalty before he's even hit the deck.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

A quite laughable attempt at self-justification. The first thing Zaha is looking for is contact, thats just fact. The slightest hint of a touch and he's down and rolling into another postcode. Its not a myth - everyone knows it, everyone sees it, time and time again. Ashley Young went through a phase of doing exactly the same, until he started getting regularly called out on it by fans, managers, the media. No doubt Fergie had a word in his shell-like, because he's managed to cut it out of his game. Zaha gets indulged though, and simply isn't embarrassed enough to stop. Heck, he might even actually BELIEVE the claptrap he's come out with here, he's that deluded.

He's undeniably a good player. He's currently the very definition of a 1 man team. But he's also a conniving little cheat, and no amount of mealy-mouthed attempts at justification can alter that. Everyone knows it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
In a strange way I kind of like Zaha. It should really go without saying that he's a ****. A diving ****. A whining, diving ****. A whining, diving, self aggrandising ****. But he's Palace. He's their **** and in a way that makes him our **** too. Or at least the rivalries ****.

He's palace, he gets the rivalry, he doesn't like us and is happy to say so. He'll certainly provide us with more fear, angst and passion than any of the shitshow that Selhurst will surve up: the goal music, the call and response, the light show, the crap banners, the youtube ultras, the groupon gang.

I'd bloody love it if he got sent off for diving after being poleaxed by Dunk or Duffy. That would be beautiful.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The epitome of ‘Big fish, small pond’.

He couldn’t cut the mustard at MUFC, and worse, couldn’t do it on loan at Cardiff, He can only play for the South London pond life.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He’s their best player and will hopefully be the recipient of some anti-Wilf tactics by the team. Stop Zaha=Stop Palace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here