Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it too early plant my potatoes?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Just taken on an allotment. Spent the winter digging it over, weeding and taking stones out.

Dug out my potato trenches, Mrs Arkwright says spuds go in on Good Friday but I'm at Wolverhampton, so can I plant them today. Surely we won't get anymore frosts.

Last edited:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Congratulations! I also got my stones out on my wedding day.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Nope, do it now. No chance of really bad weather so should be ok. Keep an eye on the other allotment holders, they're normally a good indication about when you can do things

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Get em in. Some varieties can be grown all year round anyway.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Plant now and mulch if the weather turns for the worse. They'll be fine.
The last week of March is when I usually put mine in.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Plant now and they will be fine, especially if you earth then up as they come through. If you are genuinely worried about frost, just buy some of the agricultural fleece, it's cheap as chips, excuse the pun.

As for the Good Friday tradition, that held sway in Ireland for years but it's not much good when Easter is a movable event.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just taken on an allotment. Spent the winter digging it over, weeding and taking stones out.

Dug out my potato trenches, Mrs Arkwright says spuds go in on Good Friday but I'm at Wolverhampton, so can I plant them today. Surely we won't get anymore frosts.

Good Friday, or thereabouts is about right, just keep an eye on any late frosts early in the morning.
As when the leaves start to poke through, they still can damaged by the frost, even with fleece covering them.
We're going to plant 1st earlies of Epicure, 2nd earliest of Kestrel, salad crop Charlotte, mains Sarpo Blue Danube and late mains Sarpo Miracle.
Good luck:thumbsup:

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Try looking at [MENTION=18309]Muzzy[/MENTION] Facebook & Instagram pages entitled 'The Allotment Shed' :thumbsup:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Good Friday, or thereabouts is about right, just keep an eye on any early frosts.
As when the leaves start to poke through, they still can damaged by the frost, even with fleece covering them.
We're going to plant 1st earlies of Epicure, 2nd earliest of Kestrel, salad crop Charlotte, mains Sarpo Blue Danube and late mains Sarpo Miracle.
Good luck:thumbsup:
You mean late frosts....but then again Middlesex is so far north of us:whistle:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here