Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Theatre 2017

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Somewhat surprised that we don't have a Theatre 2017 thread already, but if we do, perhaps this can be merged.

Just back from the Theatre Royal in Brighton for the first night of the adapted Peter James book NOT DEAD ENOUGH

The book is a dark thriller and the play has got a few comedy lines that are probably good for the theatre audience, if not for the officianados of the Peter James series. Having said that the audience seemed to enjoy it.

PJ was here of course, and came on stage for the walkdown and spoke about the collection for his police charity.

Love the books. Enjoy the plays, Overall 5/10

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Somewhat surprised that we don't have a Theatre 2017 thread already, but if we do, perhaps this can be merged.

Just back from the Theatre Royal in Brighton for the first night of the adapted Peter James book NOT DEAD ENOUGH

The book is a dark thriller and the play has got a few comedy lines that are probably good for the theatre audience, if not for the officianados of the Peter James series. Having said that the audience seemed to enjoy it.

PJ was here of course, and came on stage for the walkdown and spoke about the collection for his police charity.

Love the books. Enjoy the plays, Overall 5/10
Going on Saturday. Same as you, love the books - and a PJ play is a decent enough excuse for the first theatre royal visit of the year, as they always seem to be on mid-Feb

Lush

Mods' Pet
Big fan of Complicite theatre company since I saw The Encounter last year as part of the Brighton Festival.

Anyway they are currently performing 'Beware of Pity" at The Barbican (sold-out) BUT they had a live feed of the Sunday matinee, which is up on You Tube for a few weeks.

Incredible story telling and highly highly recommended. Don't be put off by the fact it's two hours long and in German with sous-titles :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98C1vV49gXo

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The Dresser by Ronald Harwood, at Chichester Festival Theatre with Ken Stott and Reece Shearsmith at the start of the month was a great night out. Very clever staging with a revolve and high quality acting throughout. Recommended 8/10

We also went to Gaslight at Theatre Royal last Friday... very wordy Victorian melodrama. For me it was a poor script but well performed. 6/10

We are going to 'Not Dead Enough' on Friday, although I was not a great fan of the previous stage plays, Mrs T seems to like them... will report back.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'm not a big fan of musicals, but was persuaded to go to see EVITA at the New Theatre in Oxford last week.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The story I sort of knew anyway, but the performances were excellent, and a live orchestra in the pit always improves anything like this imho.

This theatre is also run by the Ambassador Theatre Group like our very own Theatre Royal. Its a very different place, and as the name would suggest newer than our 200 year old stage. Much bigger too, with a disappointing number of empty seats for the midweek performance I saw. One thing that was the same though was the £6 they were asking for a cold bottle of Doom Bar FFS

Whole experience 7/10

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Going to see the Lion King next Saturday. Have heard good reports and am looking forward to it. Might even get to see the Albion game in a local pub afterwards.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The Dresser by Ronald Harwood, at Chichester Festival Theatre with Ken Stott and Reece Shearsmith at the start of the month was a great night out. Very clever staging with a revolve and high quality acting throughout. Recommended 8/10

We also went to Gaslight at Theatre Royal last Friday... very wordy Victorian melodrama. For me it was a poor script but well performed. 6/10

We are going to 'Not Dead Enough' on Friday, although I was not a great fan of the previous stage plays, Mrs T seems to like them... will report back.

I wasn't massively impressed with Not Dead Enough. It just didn't work for me as a play and I never imagined Cleo would be anything like as wimpy as Laura Whatmore made her. The whole point of Cleo is that she is a strong woman in her own right - not what came across at all.

Totally agree on The Dresser. It was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Bat out of Hell - The Musical
I was in London recently so stopped by and picked up a day ticket for this show. It was a great seat for a comparatively low price.

I was a little unsure at the start of the show, initially feeling 'this is all right', then as it went on it really got into its groove and by the time the interval came I was loving it. On the night I went there were a couple of absences, which led to a shfting of various other performers as the understudies moved up, but I didn't recognise the names of anyone in the cast so it wasn't a big deal. It seemed like the couple next to me had seen the show a couple of times as before it even started they were commenting that the understudy was a better singer, but not as good with the acting parts.

It's interesting to see the songs performed in ways that enhance or match their storytelling ('Objects in the Rearview Mirror' for instance becomes a song that sees three people telling stories of their childhoods, in a tender bonding moment). As a fan of meat loaf and Jim Steinman I of course enjoyed the music. My neice who is not a particular fan of theirs enjoyed it too.

One of the things that impressed me most, though, was the stage craft. Various aspects of the show were things I'd not seen on the stage before, including some spoilery things that involve the orchestra pit, and a surprising deep 'puddle'. There were also various compartments and elevated rooms etc wherein they had a live camera that projected onto various parts of the stage.

It's only showing for about 3 more weeks before transferring to toronto. If you can, check it out.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Went to see Junkyard at the Kingston Rose Theatre 4 months ago.

It was a new play / musical based on a true story about a group of teenagers in Bristol who were encouraged to build their own adventure playground out of scrap wood and other materials. With a largely young and emerging group of actors, it was a very enthusiastic and well played performance.

I took my teenage daughter to see this and it was perfect for that age group and I enjoyed seeing her enjoy the power of some of the actors and the fun of most of the songs.

7 / 10 score.

I'll also be going to see this play with family at The National in November (on a Saturday where we have no game). No idea what to expect, but I have high hopes.

https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/shows/saint-george-and-the-dragon

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Off to see Harry Potter parts 1 and 2 in a couple of weeks.

Not heavy or high brow but chuffed to be going.

Stumpy Tim

Bat out of Hell - The Musical
I was in London recently so stopped by and picked up a day ticket for this show. It was a great seat for a comparatively low price.

I was a little unsure at the start of the show, initially feeling 'this is all right', then as it went on it really got into its groove and by the time the interval came I was loving it. On the night I went there were a couple of absences, which led to a shfting of various other performers as the understudies moved up, but I didn't recognise the names of anyone in the cast so it wasn't a big deal. It seemed like the couple next to me had seen the show a couple of times as before it even started they were commenting that the understudy was a better singer, but not as good with the acting parts.

It's interesting to see the songs performed in ways that enhance or match their storytelling ('Objects in the Rearview Mirror' for instance becomes a song that sees three people telling stories of their childhoods, in a tender bonding moment). As a fan of meat loaf and Jim Steinman I of course enjoyed the music. My neice who is not a particular fan of theirs enjoyed it too.

One of the things that impressed me most, though, was the stage craft. Various aspects of the show were things I'd not seen on the stage before, including some spoilery things that involve the orchestra pit, and a surprising deep 'puddle'. There were also various compartments and elevated rooms etc wherein they had a live camera that projected onto various parts of the stage.

It's only showing for about 3 more weeks before transferring to toronto. If you can, check it out.
Off the see Bat Out of Hell in two weeks.

I recently went to see Alice Adventures Underground at The Vaults. Absolutely brilliant - massively recommend it. Be prepared to be part of the show!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to see Mamma Mia at the Brighton Centre last week. I think they probably had too many showings because it was half empty. I wasn't familiar with any of the cast (one has been in Eastenders, apparently though I'm not sure how big a part it was, another was part of an X-factor tour). It was a good performance. Having seen a lot of stage shows and the films based on them, I'm familiar with the need/desire to make changes, but I was surprised by how many changes there were - different characters singing songs in different settings, in different orders.

The vocals were a little quiet. There was someone greatly amusing his companion by fake conducting. Wasn't particularly funny, especially after the fifth time. But his companion found it hilarious, every time. Even when he was fake conducting one of the slower more sentimental songs.

Anyhoo, other than those things, I did enjoy the show.

I'm going to see that in a couple of months. How was it? It'll be my first non-musical or stand up comedy theatre visit since the early mid-nineties.

Off the see Bat Out of Hell in two weeks.

What did you think? They announced at their last show of this run that they are coming back to london after their toronto run. They're also recording a soundtrack album (that might only be of interest to me, since I have over 200 albums (not all complete albums) from stage film and tv in my music library).

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I went to see Mamma Mia at the Brighton Centre last week. I think they probably had too many showings because it was half empty. I wasn't familiar with any of the cast (one has been in Eastenders, apparently though I'm not sure how big a part it was, another was part of an X-factor tour). It was a good performance. Having seen a lot of stage shows and the films based on them, I'm familiar with the need/desire to make changes, but I was surprised by how many changes there were - different characters singing songs in different settings, in different orders.

The vocals were a little quiet. There was someone greatly amusing his companion by fake conducting. Wasn't particularly funny, especially after the fifth time. But his companion found it hilarious, every time. Even when he was fake conducting one of the slower more sentimental songs.

I'm going to see that in a couple of months. How was it? It'll be my first non-musical or stand up comedy theatre visit since the early mid-nineties.

What did you think? They announced at their last show of this run that they are coming back to london after their toronto run. They're also recording a soundtrack album (that might only be of interest to me, since I have over 200 albums (not all complete albums) from stage film and tv in my music library).

it was really good.
to think i would sit in a theater without fidgeting for both parts says it all.
if you can get a ticket definately go.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Bat out of Hell was great fun. Slightly barmy but superb production standards. Well worth checking out when it returns. I believe it will go into the Dominion for a fairly open run which will suit it well

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I'm not a big fan of musicals, but was persuaded to go to see EVITA at the New Theatre in Oxford last week.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The story I sort of knew anyway, but the performances were excellent, and a live orchestra in the pit always improves anything like this imho.

This theatre is also run by the Ambassador Theatre Group like our very own Theatre Royal. Its a very different place, and as the name would suggest newer than our 200 year old stage. Much bigger too, with a disappointing number of empty seats for the midweek performance I saw. One thing that was the same though was the £6 they were asking for a cold bottle of Doom Bar FFS

Whole experience 7/10

I really enjoyed "Evita" - the version I saw was at Wimbledon.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Took my (now) adult kids to see that a few weeks ago. They were exactly the right age for the books when first published and, predictably, absolutely loved the shows. Personally, I thought it was ok, with a few bits that were excellent, and quite a few that were meh. I'd rather have sold my ticket for the grand or so that I could have got, but my kids wanted me to go along, so I did.

If you love the books and the films, you'll love it... Enjoy!

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
it was really good.
to think i would sit in a theater without fidgeting for both parts says it all.
if you can get a ticket definately go.

Took my (now) adult kids to see that a few weeks ago. They were exactly the right age for the books when first published and, predictably, absolutely loved the shows. Personally, I thought it was ok, with a few bits that were excellent, and quite a few that were meh. I'd rather have sold my ticket for the grand or so that I could have got, but my kids wanted me to go along, so I did.

If you love the books and the films, you'll love it... Enjoy!

Good to hear. I'm a fan of the books, and generally like the films so am really excited. I have been checking every so often for tickets and managed to grab some last week, so am definitely going. Is there much going on above the stage? The ticket I got is toward the back of the stalls and I'm wondering if the balcony might block my view of the top of the scene. The theatre seating plan mentioned that there is some restriction of view toward the back of the stalls.

Bat out of Hell was great fun. Slightly barmy but superb production standards. Well worth checking out when it returns. I believe it will go into the Dominion for a fairly open run which will suit it well

Yeah, the production was something else.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Good to hear. I'm a fan of the books, and generally like the films so am really excited. I have been checking every so often for tickets and managed to grab some last week, so am definitely going. Is there much going on above the stage? The ticket I got is toward the back of the stalls and I'm wondering if the balcony might block my view of the top of the scene. The theatre seating plan mentioned that there is some restriction of view toward the back of the stalls.

Yeah, the production was something else.

There are a few things flying around ( not always high) but generally it should not be a problem. You will enjoy.

The only pain was they stop you taking food in including sweets, and confiscate them like you are a naughty child.
I suggest you hide them in your pants as they are expensive and limited in there.
( They let water in ).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Got dragged along by the wife, and agree on the sound. Whether it's the Centre or just this production, I found that the volume suffered when compared to West End shows. I also felt that the voice quality was lower than top performers.

If you ignore these issues, still an enjoyable evening if you like Abba music

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here