Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

USA. Base rate increase.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Haven't googled but probably the biggest Fed interest rate increase in history at 50%. Beating last year's 25%.

larus

Only the second rate rise from the fed in 10 years. This is at the time when they are nearing full employment (rate is 4.6%), and we are years into the current expansionary phase of the economic cycle. Talk about world economies being screwed, or may over the last 40 odd years they've been screwed and this is the new reality.

Either way, interesting times (if you like this type of shit) :)

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
RBA just put up base rates here by 0.15, the big banks are putting rates up so it should filter through to all banks by the end of the week.
Just in time for Christmas shoppers.

Base rate currently 0.25% inflation 1.3%.

£10,000 savings would lose up to a £100 a year.

There is absolutely no need to earn just 0.25% on savings, even if you want zero risk approach. A quick look down the best buys would easily secure 4-5 times that rate, bit more if you were prepared to tie it up for a bit.

A higher risk attitude to savings via stocks and shares could easily have returned 20 times this figure over the past year.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
RBA just put up base rates here by 0.15, the big banks are putting rates up so it should filter through to all banks by the end of the week.
Just in time for Christmas shoppers.

No they haven't.
3 & 5 year Fixed Rate Mortgages have risen a touch along with Variable Interest Only Investment Housing Loans but the RBA Official Cash Rate has been sitting at 1.5% since being lowered by 0.25% in August.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I'm looking at mortgages. They've gone down since I last looked 6 months ago. 5 year fixed at 1.99% or 10yr at 2.99%. What should I go for? £100 a month for peace of mind that I can live in my house for the next 10years (instead of 5)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
5 year fixed at 1.99% or 10yr at 2.99%. What should I go for?
I don't think anyone here can really answer that for you. Google and do a bit of reading on expected rate changes over the next 10 years. If you choose the 5 year option, put £100 a month into savings to cover a rate rise in 5 years if it happens.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There is absolutely no need to earn just 0.25% on savings, even if you want zero risk approach. A quick look down the best buys would easily secure 4-5 times that rate, bit more if you were prepared to tie it up for a bit.

A higher risk attitude to savings via stocks and shares could easily have returned 20 times this figure over the past year.

Most of the 'best buy' savings accounts are conditional, linked to bank accounts, minimum monthly deposits etc and or limited to relatively small sums. Getting much more than one percent anywhere on a decent amount is difficult unless you want to tie money up for a fixed period so inflation will be eating away at the value.

Agree re stocks and shares, but that is twenty twenty hindsight, post the Brexit vote the markets have been steaming ahead but could equally lose the same or more in the next few months.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I'm looking at mortgages. They've gone down since I last looked 6 months ago. 5 year fixed at 1.99% or 10yr at 2.99%. What should I go for? £100 a month for peace of mind that I can live in my house for the next 10years (instead of 5)

We remortgaged last year on a fixed 2.99% for 10 years. I was aware that there were other better short term deals, but in the long run I know what my mortgage payments are going to be and that gives me peace of mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here