Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gibraltar and Brexit

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Doesn't get much of a mention re: Brexit but they voted 96% to remain.

I would imagine that most people voting leave would probably also believe that the rock should remain under our control. However the people who live there have overwhelmingly agreed with 50% of that argument.

Interesting isn't it ?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I would imagine that most people voting leave would probably also believe that the rock should remain under our control. However the people who live there have overwhelmingly agreed with 50% of that argument.

Interesting isn't it ?

The Falklands voted 99% to stay British. Gib are worried that when we leave they will not be British anymore.........time for a once in a lifetime referendum.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Interesting isn't it ?

The last vote on staying with the UK was over 99% in favour........think they hunted down the few that voted against.......

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
End Of Empire. If we were to be around a hundred years from now, the world map would doubtless look decidedly different. Gibraltar would belong to Spain, The Falklands would belong to Argentina, Northern Ireland would be reunited with Southern Ireland. Tho who Spain, Argentina and Ireland would belong to is anybody's guess.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Let them declare independence then. Couldn't care less about Gibraltar to be honest, it's a bit of a joke that we somehow still 'own' it.

Just the same hilarious contradiction that most ex pats I know (and I know a few) are anti EU but also 'Britain is on its arse that's why we left'. Strangely most also seem to be devastated that we are now leaving the EU as it may **** them over and they will no longer be able to nip back to the UK for a month a year to ensure they still get all their free healthcare and state pension.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The Falklands voted 99% to stay British. Gib are worried that when we leave they will not be British anymore.........time for a once in a lifetime referendum.

I'd imagine membership of the EU is more important to our friends on the rock.

I'm not taking a position here on Brexit here beyond I'm an admitted reluctant remain.

Just commentating on the fact that nationalism ( or more accurately sense of which nation you belong to ) is a bit more complex than "out of Europe".

If the SNP are using Brexit to further their own political agenda, but if the Gibraltarians asked to remain as part of the single market (and free movement) would hardened Brexiters accuse them of the same ?

I used to be of the same opinion that Gibraltar and The Falklands are a hangover of Empire etc.. but changed my opinion a few years ago. In reality they are hardly colonising forces at play here. If the generations of people who have lived there vote to remain as part of this country so be it. Self determination etc...

I'm also of the belief that successive UK Governments would love to dump the Falklands but public opinion (and the UN now) keeps them part of here.

Personally ? It's up to the people there to decide.

Last edited:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Maybe when Scotland and Northern Ireland have left the UK we could spend some of that £350 million a week looking after Gibraltar and the Falklands.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Interesting isn't it ?
Overwhelmingly agreed with 50%?

Do you have a different understanding of '50%' and 'overwhelming' compared to the rest of the world?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd imagine membership of the EU is more important to our friends on the rock.

I'm not taking a position here on Brexit here beyond I'm an admitted reluctant remain.

Just commentating on the fact that nationalism ( or more accurately sense of which nation you belong to ) is a bit more complex than "out of Europe".

If the SNP are using Brexit to further their own political agenda, but if the Gibraltarians asked to remain as part of the single market (and free movement) would hardened Brexiters accuse them of the same ?

I used to be of the same opinion that Gibraltar and The Falklands are a hangover of Empire etc.. but changed my opinion a few years ago. In reality they are hardly colonising forces at play here. If the generations of people who have lived there vote to remain as part of this country so be it. Self determination etc...

I'm also of the belief that successive UK Governments would love to dump the Falklands but public opinion (and the UN now) keeps them part of here.

Personally ? It's up to the people there to decide.

The Falklands are nothing to do with this debate. Gibraltar, however - that's a difficult one. Negotiations will be needed. How about - the EU (and specifically Spain) - take Scotland off our hands and we'll let you have Gibraltar? (You could combine them, and maybe once in a blue moon they'd qualify for the World Cup finals).

Easy-peasy, this politics game, ain't it?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Interesting isn't it ?

If you're suggesting May would sell them down the river as part of a deal then I suspect you're right.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
L they will no longer be able to nip back to the UK for a month a year to ensure they still get all their free healthcare and state pension.

Where do people get this stuff?

1) Nipping back to the UK once a month doesn't entitle an expat to NHS treatment.
2) The state pension depends on how mnay weeks NI you've paid, not how often you "nip back to the UK",

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You're not an 'expat'in Gibraltar, you're a British citizen and allowed in the UK at any time, Brexit or EU. Am I missing something here? And what the Gibraltarians don't like is Spain making it difficult to cross from the mainland to the Rock which allegedly is not allowed under EU laws. However under non EU laws the Spanish can make it as difficult as they like. I would imagine this is what the natives are worried about. Been there many a time and unless you come in by plane it is a nightmare crossing over the border by road.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
. Gib are worried that when we leave they will not be British anymore.

Where does this come from?

Would their concern not he more about the free movement between Gibraltar and Spain for work and goods.

You only have to look at the extended delays whenever Spain has a huff and imposes strict passport controls to see how commuting for work would become impractical.

But no doubt leavers already have a plan to deal with this.

Which no doubt will be full border controls to keep any part of our sovereignty safe even if it means effectively destroying the local economy.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Interesting isn't it ?

I was in Gibraltar last year and the citizens were really stunned by the UKs decision to leave the EU

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Spain have got a far bigger problem than Gibraltar

once Scotland do get independence ,the Catalans will be up in arms and demand a referrendum

then the Basques will follow

interesting stuff as both regions straddle over the border into France

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
End Of Empire. If we were to be around a hundred years from now, the world map would doubtless look decidedly different. Gibraltar would belong to Spain, The Falklands would belong to Argentina, Northern Ireland would be reunited with Southern Ireland. Tho who Spain, Argentina and Ireland would belong to is anybody's guess.

The Rolling Stones would be on their final farewell tour, Girtwelders and Trump hair piece tour

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Spain have got a far bigger problem than Gibraltar

once Scotland do get independence ,the Catalans will be up in arms and demand a referrendum

then the Basques will follow

interesting stuff as both regions straddle over the border into France

And they 'own' a chunk of land across the water from Gibraltar in Africa. Do they propose handing that over to show consistency?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Let them declare independence then. Couldn't care less about Gibraltar to be honest, it's a bit of a joke that we somehow still 'own' it.

Just the same hilarious contradiction that most ex pats I know (and I know a few) are anti EU but also 'Britain is on its arse that's why we left'. Strangely most also seem to be devastated that we are now leaving the EU as it may **** them over and they will no longer be able to nip back to the UK for a month a year to ensure they still get all their free healthcare and state pension.

Bit like the Channel Islands. How jersey etc are ours is a real hangover from empire days.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here