Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sherlock Holmes

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Used to really enjoy this a few years ago as a bit of light - yet intelligently written and well cast / acted - entertainment with some novel graphics / special effects.

But I really struggle with it now. It tries to be way too clever, the acting is verging on farce and so far as bit of 'feet-up Sunday night telly' it is WAY off the mark. I'm sure it will scoop up loads of awards etc, but I am severely losing my patience with it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Stephen Moffat has over complicated it, which is exactly what he has done with Dr Who.

I like his writing in a way, but the problem is it needs concentration on every single line of the dialogue.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Stephen Moffat has over complicated it, which is exactly what he has done with Dr Who.

I like his writing in a way, but the problem is it needs concentration on every single line of the dialogue.

Agree with that (although I don't watch Dr Who).

Sunday night in January, I'm just kicking back - watching a bit of TV ,chucking the occasional log on the fire and perusing NSC. Sherlock was just too demanding of my attention for 90 minutes. Very clever, I'm sure - but I don't have and hour and half to devote purely to keeping up with all the plot twists and flashbacks and stuff. Tedious.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Just finished watching tonight's episode and said to my wife that if that was the first time you had seen it you would say it's a load of rubbish. Far too involved this time around.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Agree with that (although I don't watch Dr Who).

Sunday night in January, I'm just kicking back - watching a bit of TV ,chucking the occasional log on the fire and perusing NSC. Sherlock was just too demanding of my attention for 90 minutes. Very clever, I'm sure - but I don't have and hour and half to devote purely to keeping up with all the plot twists and flashbacks and stuff. Tedious.

"Did you get all that?"

"No, I gave up. But what was that TV presenter all about?"

"He wasn't a TV presenter, he was a millionaire murderer."

"Oh."

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"Did you get all that?"

"No, I gave up. But what was that TV presenter all about?"

"He wasn't a TV presenter, he was a millionaire murderer."

"Oh."

Just had an IDENTICAL conversation here.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Really enjoyed tonight's one after not really getting the previous one.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Thought it was brilliant tonight, but I might need to watch it a few more times...

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
I actually thought yesterday's episode was much better than some previous ones as it wasn't trying to be overly clever. The special episode last year and s03e03 were definitely worse although maybe it is just me as I am not into "mind palaces" etc.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Used to really enjoy this a few years ago as a bit of light - yet intelligently written and well cast / acted - entertainment with some novel graphics / special effects.

But I really struggle with it now. It tries to be way too clever, the acting is verging on farce and so far as bit of 'feet-up Sunday night telly' it is WAY off the mark. I'm sure it will scoop up loads of awards etc, but I am severely losing my patience with it.

Yeah, I hope they don't do any more after this series, it's lost its' way. Last nights was pretty poor, I think and they've gone so far from the originals I don't think they can any longer call it "based on stories by ADC"

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It's funny because I enjoyed last night's. The jimmy Savile undertones of the main criminal, the little nuances and the fact that sherlock's sibling may not be as obvious as it seemed (I had assumed it was molly or Mary so on the right lines)

It felt like having completed an cognitive reasoning test. Hard work, not restful but hugely satisfying. However I can also understand why tk many, it's not Sunday night entertainment

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Yeah, I hope they don't do any more after this series, it's lost its' way. Last nights was pretty poor, I think and they've gone so far from the originals I don't think they can any longer call it "based on stories by ADC"

Except that next week's episode is the only one of the entire set that takes its title directly from a Conan Doyle work. Apparently.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The jimmy Savile undertones of the main criminal

I physically squirmed when Toby Jones' character said that he'd been given the keys to all the rooms of "his" hospital. He played the villain superbly - what a great actor he is.

Having not much liked the first episode of this new series, I really enjoyed last night's personally.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I believe they said that there were "unlikely" to be any more after this series. Probably best to do as "Fawlty Towers" did and not overdo it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here