Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Burger Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There seems to be a lot of interest in burgers on this site with posts about the best burger vendor, home cooking and medium versus well done etc etc. I thought I'd start a separate thread; I figure if there's not enough interest, or the feeling is other threads cover the topic, it will die a natural death.

I'll kick things off with my usual from The Bird. This is the Dr Zian with blue cheese and US style belly bacon and cooked medium. My favourite burger and it balances the flavour of the chargrilled meat with the 2 classic toppings. One criticism of Trolls is that the burger gets lost with some of his more crazy fillings. I'm not sure if the Zian is perfect though, the bun is a muffin which works okay but in a kind of neutral doesn't-add-much way. That said it is a good sponge for the flavors but I do wonder what another bun would be like. The chips are exactly the way I like them; well cooked and super crispy and I sling a decent amount of salt and a dollop of mayo on them. Add a home made pickled gurkin, raw red onion and a slice of tomato and you've got a happy Herr Tubthumper.

Attachments

• IMG_5767.JPG
    IMG_5767.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,317

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
This gourmet burger fad is really dragging. Time for a gourmet kebab craze I think. You can see people debating the tits off who's got the best chilli sauce or organically sourced lettuce, and instead of cans of Fanta in the glass cabinet at the front they are doing obscure us sodas or bottles of Mexican Coca Cola.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Good thread, badly timed with my January diet !!

I must admit, I am a fan of Meat Liquor Dead Hippie, even more so if I am not paying for it. Thankfully I have a customer that insists we go monthly.

I need to try and think but I had a good burger in London last month, it was buttermilk fried chicken - with a layer of cheese as part of the deep fried burger. It was absolutely incredible.

Was disappointed that Five Guys and Shakeshack did not 'translate' from the US to the UK. Burgers no nowhere near as good. Shake shack is a must have for me when in New York, but a burger, chips and either a milkshake or 'concrete' is basically 2500 calories.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I not a vegetarian but have become a fan of the mushroom and halloumi burger. Best found at Prince Albert and Lion and Lobster pubs. Meat wise if it says homemade it has to be homemade. Lots of establishments selling frozen shit which Its easy to detect.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
There seems to be a lot of interest in burgers on this site with posts about the best burger vendor, home cooking and medium versus well done etc etc. I thought I'd start a separate thread; I figure if there's not enough interest, or the feeling is other threads cover the topic, it will die a natural death.

I'll kick things off with my usual from The Bird. This is the Dr Zian with blue cheese and US style belly bacon and cooked medium. My favourite burger and it balances the flavour of the chargrilled meat with the 2 classic toppings. One criticism of Trolls is that the burger gets lost with some of his more crazy fillings. I'm not sure if the Zian is perfect though, the bun is a muffin which works okay but in a kind of neutral doesn't-add-much way. That said it is a good sponge for the flavors but I do wonder what another bun would be like. The chips are exactly the way I like them; well cooked and super crispy and I sling a decent amount of salt and a dollop of mayo on them. Add a home made pickled gurkin, raw red onion and a slice of tomato and you've got a happy Herr Tubthumper.

Looks like something you get from a burger joint in Chernobyl ???

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Just got into making and cooking my own. They've come out pretty well if I do say so myself :drool:

Still experimenting with seasoning and what I'm adding to the meat.

Hoping to produce Burgers as good as my local place, Half Man Half Burger. Gorgeous Burgers between £8 and £15.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Worthing has a newish burger joint which is getting favourable reviews. I've yet to visit myself to try their veggie offering.

http://www.thewoodsburgerkitchen.com

Useful to know. I'm hoping to get taken on a post-match tour of Worthing's craft venues shortly. This could be a good addition to the night. Thanks.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This gourmet burger fad is really dragging. Time for a gourmet kebab craze I think. You can see people debating the tits off who's got the best chilli sauce or organically sourced lettuce, and instead of cans of Fanta in the glass cabinet at the front they are doing obscure us sodas or bottles of Mexican Coca Cola.

Funnily enough this might be starting to get some traction. I understand the Trolls guy is looking into this and The Guardian went in search of the perefect kebab a short while ago https://www.theguardian.com/global/2016/nov/20/doner-kebabs-celebration-50-years-berlin-germany

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's already happened.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here