Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion v Man City 1979/80 footage at the Goldstone.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hats off to who dug this out, as brings back memories of one of our best performances of the first season in the top flight.

I think it might settle the Lawrenson v Dunk debate too.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hats off to who dug this out, as brings back memories of one of our best performances of the first season in the top flight.

No contest between Lawrenson and Dunk. Good though Dunk may be, Lawrenson was world class like Vicente.

And yes, brilliant footage!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Marvellous scenes. Remember the Wardy goal very well - think we were halfway up the North, behind the goal. Brought it all back :clap:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Vintage Video: Brighton 4-1 Manchester City - Dec 1979 (5 minutes of highlights)

I've not posted on NSC for a good while. I hope all's been well.

Here's a video you might like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KR_vEX4eeM

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Marvellous scenes. Remember the Wardy goal very well - think we were halfway up the North, behind the goal. Brought it all back :clap:

Back row of the South for me. There was like an an extra ledge that my brother and I used to sit on so that we could see, with our feet on the wooden bench. It was never the same after it burned down!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

It was me! Sorry, didn't see this thread when I just posted it up...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks for sticking it on YouTube. Brilliant find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! The footage was obtained by various Albion fans on Facebook donating a tenner or so to get access to the footage. Do you think there is much mileage in utilising the might of NSC for a similar crowdfunding campaign?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Thank you! The footage was obtained by various Albion fans on Facebook donating a tenner or so to get access to the footage. Do you think there is much mileage in utilising the might of NSC for a similar crowdfunding campaign?
Are there other matches that would be available at a price then? I always imagined that most old footage was destroyed or lost.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Brilliant work. Sadly I was working in the Royal Pavillion Tavern that afternoon.....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Are there other matches that would be available at a price then? I always imagined that most old footage was destroyed or lost.

£115 per programme. Brighton 2-1 Wrexham from 1978/79 survives. There are some others such as the home game v Coventry in 1979/80 with Coventry in chocolate brown kit, I think.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Great stuff! As for Lawrenson, he wasn't even in what most would say was his best position (central defender number 6) in this match. I suspect that the regular number 10 was unavailable and that he was needed more there than in his regular position. Mullery would do that if there was a pressing need. It wasn't unusual to see him at full back or pushed up to striker late in matches when desperate for a goal. He could probably play better than the regular incumbent in any outfield position, and this clip shows his versatility as well as quality in what was a normal Lawrenson performance. He played this well all the time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here